Meridian Gold vs. SporTrak Pro ???

Hello all -

I'm just wondering if any experience GPS users could help me make a decision on my next GPS. I currently own a Magellan 315 and love it. Unfortunately, it died on me during a river canoeing trip last week.

The good news in all of this is that I'm interested in buying a new GPS ASAP! I would like to stick with Magellen as I am happy with their product. I've been doing some research on the web and wanted to know the pro's/con's of the Gold vs. the SporTrak Pro?

The Gold has 16 MB of pre-programmed info. The Pro only has 9 MB. However, the Pro has an additional 23 MB free memory to download material? How much does the Gold have?

I am an avid geocacher, hunter, hiker, biker and canoeist. I use my GPS for these purposed. I like the idea of maps, especially topographical maps, that I can use with my GPS system. Both of these units are in my price range.

Can anyone help?

Thanks -

Johnny U-Boat

Magellan's Meridian line of GPSr's don't have any built in memory for uploading maps, etc. into, but they do have a slot for a SecureDigital (SD) memory card. I run mine with a 256MB SD card in it. While having to have an SD card this does represent an additional cost, I like the expandability and flexibility it offers.

Having said all that, I recently ordered a new SporTrak Pro as a second unit. The deal mentioned here was too good to not jump on.

Best of luck!

Both of these units are great, you can't go wrong with Gold or the Pro. I think the only issue is the size, The pro is so much better to carry around, and I havent yet seen a good carry case for the Gold, Magellan makes a great case for the Pro, take this into consideration also I think the screen on the Gold is better for using in the truck or car if that is what you drive, its eaiser to read while bouncing up the FS roads. The memory for the Pro is more than enough, However the usb hookup is a lot faster to upload to if you are the kind that changes maps every day. Other wise thats not a problem. I have all of my caching and outdoor area installed on the Pro and there is a lot more room. Hope this helps I have both of these units and a Plat, most all the Etrex series also. I find that I use the Gold when driven or on the 4wheeler and the Pro when I'm hiking or on the motorcycle. hec do like me go buy both..happy caching.

Thanks so much for the info. Well - it would appear to me that the Pro is the way to go vs. the Gold. If the Pro is basically everything the GOld and it's also cheaper - then that may be the way to go?

All other suggestions are welcome!

Any other ideas on where to buy the Pro for a decent price? The "FLYING J" site listed above is sold out.

Thanks all - just goes to show that the GEOCACHING community is a GREAT one!

J.U.

One more quick question - How much is 23 MB? The Pro has an extra 23 MB of uploadable space for maps, etc.. However, I'm not sure how to put that into context? If I were to buy the MAPSEND TOPO product for my computer, would I be able to upload the topo maps for Wisconsin into that 23 MB space? Just curious... It seems like the "GOLD" allows more flexibility with the ability to use data cards.

Thanks again...

Happy to check this out for you: a single-region detail map of Wisconsin runs a little over 15 MB. That includes some Iowa & Minnesota; the rectangle stops just east of St Paul and just south of Duluth. You can define up to 4 regions per map, so you could probably trim the memory need down a little bit by cutting the state up into 4 rectangles.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

Hello all - I had to dig up this thread from a few weeks ago to say "Thanks" to everyone for their help. My Meridian Gold arrived yesterday and I'm extrememly pleased. I now need to invest in an SD card and the TOPO software - but that's down the road. I've been GPS-less for about month since my 315 died on a river trip.

Thanks again - I think I made the right choice...

Johnny

I don't think you'll be sorry with the gold, had mine for almost 2 yrs and close to 350 caches found with it. The topo map is the way to go right now, or you might want to wait for new mapping program Magellan is coming out with in the fall it will have turn by turn routing on it so I've heard.

I have a 128meg chip for mine and I have all of Ca. Or. and Wa plus parts of Id UT Nv and AZ, with about 8megs left over

All who look are not lost

Thanks vagabond...

I'm wondering if the 128 MB is the way to go? I was looking at a 256 MB card on EBAY for about $60. With a 256 MB - would I be able to enter map data from both the TOPO CD and the STREETS CD??? Is there any benefit with two 128 cards vs. one 256 card?

Basically, I would like to enter all of the streets and topo data for Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan (upper peninsula) and Illinois in on one card? Do you think this would be possible?

Thanks again -

Johnny

Mixing data from Topo and Streets in the same region is hard and not officially supported by Magellan, but it can be done. More practically, but you can use both programs to create files on the SD card and then use the SD card to flip between them.

However, since the actual *map data* is the same in both and you can turn off either contour lines or the POI's if the clutter really bothers you, I suspect you'll find that you quickly settle on using just one program. If you live in a non-flat area and use it primarily for caching, I'd personally recommend just getting Topo; the POI data in S&D just isn't that helpful. (If you were, say, a travelling businessman that never left pavement, I'd recommend the opposite.)

As for 128 vs. 256, I picked up a 128 for $40 and that gets me top data from about New Orleans, east to Jacksonville, North to Erie and West to about Cedar Rapids. So that ends up including Atlanta, Chicago, Nashville, Louisville, and several other large cities. So you won't have to be embarrassed with a mere 128MB of map coverage.

I've been using a 64MB without feeling crowded on it; if I were buying anew I'd probably spring for a 128 because they cost so little more. But I still think 256 is overkill for most of us.

I'd suggest getting one 128MB card, and then adding another if you find a need for it. More than likely the first card will be all you'll ever need.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny U-Boat:

Hello all - I had to dig up this thread from a few weeks ago to say "Thanks" to everyone for their help. My Meridian Gold arrived yesterday and I'm extrememly pleased. I now need to invest in an SD card and the TOPO software - but that's down the road. I've been GPS-less for about month since my 315 died on a river trip.

Thanks again - I think I made the right choice...

Hi there! Just curious what made you finally decide on the Gold. Before you posted that you bought the Gold, it looked like you were going to go with the Pro. Just curious what made you change your mind. Was it just the extra space that you wanted with the SD cards?

- John...

Hello again -

Wow - I love the geocaching community! Talk about a group of people who are always willing to help each other out. As a teacher, I hope my students will do the same!

I agree with all the comments and I think I'll go with the 128 MB card and the topo software. I can always pick up another 128 card and the streets software down the road should I need it. Due to my geocaching, hunting, canoeing and camping I think the topo software is the way to go.

What made my decide on the Pro vs. the Gold? Since they were roughly the same price (based on where you look) and the Gold has the expandibility that the Pro doesn't have. Yeah, now I have to buy an extra card - but that extra card can have a TON of space.

The one thing I didn't expect (coming from a 315 to the Gold) was the amount of detailed roads, airports, towns, etc... in the base 16 MB memory. WOW!!! I was scanning around and found just a ton of map locations that I never thought would be included with that base memory!

I have purchased the padded case as well. My 315 screen cracked months ago when I accidently dropped it at a gas station. Last month when I was canoeing the Wisconsin our canoe flipped and my 315 was underwater for about 10 minutes as we struggled to get the canoe out of the rapids and towards shore. Next time I'll definately plastic bag it, ziplock it and PAD it before a canoe trip! I'm going to take MUCH better care of this unit. The bad part is that I can't even get the 315 to turn on so that I can get my old coordinates off of it! I had about 170 landmarks punched in! Oh well... Live and learn!

Thanks again - I'd be happy to answer more Gold questions from people kicking around the idea of buying one as I learn to use it! I LOVE it so far...

Thanks Cachers!!! You guys are the best!

Johnny....

Also invest in a SD card Reader Writer, they cost about $20 and can save hours when loading maps to the card. This will also allow you to save multiple maps to the card without overwriting the existing map. This is how you can have maps from S&D and TOPO on the same card

MACpa,

Could you please elaborate or link me to the process for making the 'over size' maps.

I have a Platinum, and the Mapsend Topo proggy.

What I really want to learn to do, is edit the maps.

I'm a little dissapointed in the 'Topo' icon_frown.gifprogram when it comes to inland lakes.

My collection of USGS (pre GPS)'Topo' maps are very detailed as far as water depth.

I'd like to scan this info (copy-paste/re-size)into the map, and save it...... icon_confused.gif

Is that possible?

If not, is there a way to at least 'draw in' (using some waypoints as reference) old roadbeds, drop-offs/ridges, and other linear things etc? (for example in Photoshop)

I know there are optional cute little fish/wreck/stump waypoint markers for point targets.

Am I expecting too much? icon_eek.gif

I've been looking for a good GPS forum literally all day, and I think I have found a home.

My eyes are bleeding now, or I would have searched the site a little more before posting these questions, because I'm sure they've been asked/answered before.

My apologies.

If not, could you suggest a place for me to pose this question.

Perhaps start a new thread.

Thanks in advance,

McGyver frog.gif

I'm OUT THERE!

Making oversized maps ~can~ cause your GPS some problems. So keep your eyes open when you do this.

With the 3.08 version of the Meridian firmware, size restrictions on the size of map files has been removed. However, the existing MapSend software does not know this, and will try to restrict the size of maps unless told otherwise.

First, using Windows Explorer, navigate to the MapSend installation directory. This should be under C:Program FilesMagellan. Open the MAPSEND.INI file using your favorite text editor. Inside this file, there is a parameter called "Conv_Memory_Size" which is the maximum region size in bytes. Multiply this number by four, and you should be able to have much larger regions. If this line does not exist, then add the following line (case sensitive) under the [Device Defaults] section:

Conv_Memory_Size=65536

Note that the larger the region is, the longer your computer will take to process this region. Processing a 64MB region is likely to take a very long time. You are much better off making smaller maps, and loading multiple map files on your SD card.

Editing the map objects isn't possible. You can manually create tracks into the areas that you know about that are missing roads/trails/etc., and save them that way to be uploaded to the GPS and overlaid when you want. You'll need to save those tracks in the SD memory for permanent keeping.

Cheers!

TL

Thanks for the reply, and the info TotemLake!

I just installed 4.02 this AM.

I've got to play around w/ this thing a little more, to get familiar w/ the menus and features.

I'm already trying to 'push the envelope'...

I'll take your advice on the maps.

I edited the initialization file.

Do you know if the BlueNav software has inland waters depth?

Like I said, I was lead to believe (by the sales person)that the 'topo' software would satisfy my needs.

I don't want to make another 90 buck mistake.

The topo software is nice though, don't get me wrong.

Thanks again,

McGyverfrog.gif

I'm OUT THERE!

Topo does the job okay for land navigating although there are a few of us that noted the data is fairly old and not quite up to date.

I don't have a really good answer about BlueNav save that I thought I read somewhere that it is pretty limited. I just did a search for BlueNav and found this thread by mookhead whom gave a review of the software here. Frankly, I'm pretty disappointed on the BlueNav just on reading the review!

Cheers!

TL

WOW!

Do you think he likes it???? LOL

You'd think if it's that bad, you'd have heard more....

But anyway, thanks......you saved me some $$$.

Guess I'll have to keep the 'ole paper mapbook of my frequented waters.

I still can figure out a little better-easier w/ the GPS where I am on the map, than the old way, triangulating off of water towers and antennae, w/ the compass (and don't forget to subtract/add the grid to mag. north declination and the back azmith, as you float...)LOL

I suppose I'll get the hang/feel of this thing eventually.

I just bought a fishfinder that interfaces w/ NMEA from the unit. A little easier ti see screen.

Don't know if I'll be doin' more geekin' or fishin'???!!!

I'm using the Platinum by the way...

Thanks so much for your help and advice.

I'm sure we'll talk again.

McGyverfrog.gif

I'm OUT THERE!