ExpertGPS

I just purchased a copy of ExpertGPS after trying the 30 day trial. I did upgrade to the newest version and since I purchased the program it just seem like I am having a lot of problems.

#1. The states Hawaii and Alaska that I downloaded from Expert GPS will not allow me to do any aerial photos from any of the waypoints. This problem exists on both of my computers, one at work 1 meg DSL line and my home computer that has a 56k line.

#2 I keep getting a notice that I have no internet connection and can't download the maps. This problem exists on both of my computers, one at work 1 meg DSL line and my home computer that has a 56k line. However I can use other programs that use the internet with no problems so I know I have an internet connection.

#3. When doing an aerial photo if I am lucky to be able to download the maps they never come complete and will leave white squares in the middle of the photos.

#4 When printing what I can of the aerial photos it leaves out the waypoints and the routes. I am told that newest version corrects that but not for me. This problem exists on both of my computers, one at work 1 meg DSL line and my home computer that has a 56k line.

#5. I just now written a second message to tech support. The first time they have not replied as of yet.

So in a nutshell I am somewhat dissapointed in the program but most of all the support. If there is anyone out here that is really familiar with ExpertGPS it would be greatly appreciated.

Both of my computers are Windows XP. I did also install it today on on other computer at work which is windows 2000 proffessional an it had the same troubles. The version was downloaded from the internet today so it should be the newest version icon_confused.gif

Murph

Yes I am running the latest version. I even downloaded a new copy just yesterday and put it on another computer at work. The other thing that is now happening on all three computers with different internet connnections is when I close ExpertGPS it says there is a failure and it sends a report to microsoft. When I was using the trial version I had no problems and even the first few days with the purchased version I had no trouble. So what is different now.

murph

Do you have the internet download turned on? On your toolbar, there is an ICON that looks like a world globe with yellow arrows pointing up and down. It should be pressed in.

Also, although I hate to say this, BE PATIENT. I have had SEVERAL dealings with the software makers. While I have always been anxious to get it working, I had to force myself to be patient. Everyone deserves a vacation, and even when they were in Alaska, I still got an answer from them. I am sorry you are having problems, but hang in there. It is a GREAT program. I have tried every FREE program oout there, and I keep coming back to ExpertGPS.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Dessert Warrior,

Yes I do have that pushed in. That is the Internet Map Retrieval button. You can also find it under that maps directory.

This morning I downloaded the uninstall program and then I shut the computer down and re-installed the program and now I can't get nothing from the maps. So now I am worse off than I was before. But maybe your right I just have to be patient and maybe it will start working again.

murph

I just received this E-mail:

The map server that ExpertGPS uses has been moved to a new address. A free update to ExpertGPS is now available. In order to retrieve new topo maps and aerial photos from the map server, you must update to ExpertGPS 1.2.6.

Please download the installer for ExpertGPS at http://www.expertgps.com/download.asp

Thank you for choosing ExpertGPS!

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, I got that email this morning also. I did do a download and everything seems to be working ok excpept for when printing.

I have a designjet 450C plotter. When I go to Map, print map I get a full view of what I want to print and everything looks good there, but when I actually print I only get about half of what I wanted or what is shown in the print preview pane. So I am not sure if it is the program or my printer. I will have to do some more playing around.

murph

quote:
Originally posted by DustyJacket:

I just received this E-mail:

The map server that ExpertGPS uses has been moved to a new address. A free update to ExpertGPS is now available. In order to retrieve new topo maps and aerial photos from the map server, you must update to ExpertGPS 1.2.6.

They never notified me. Thanks for the info. I've updated mine as well.

"Gimpy"

--N2GLS--

ExpertGPS was updated to use Microsoft's new URL for the TerraServer map database. Things continue to be flaky at TerraServer - I was running fine just an hour ago, but now terraserver-usa.com seems to have disappeared completely.

If you're having trouble retrieving new maps, wait a few hours and try again. Until Microsoft gets TerraServer up and running 100%, we'll all just have to be patient.

If you don't already have it, download ExpertGPS 1.2.6. This version is required to use the new map server.

--

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com/

quote:
Originally posted by thcri:

#4 When printing what I can of the aerial photos it leaves out the waypoints and the routes. I am told that newest version corrects that but not for me. This problem exists on both of my computers, one at work 1 meg DSL line and my home computer that has a 56k line.

Murph

I just experienced this for the first time (as a long time user). I have downloaded the most recent version. When I exported an image, the map image went, but the waypoint & text description vanished. In the past I have made printouts with waypoints, routes, trackes, etc. without any problem.

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

I looked under the bugs that were fixed with the previous version to the latest and it was suppose to fix the waypoints and tracks showing on aerial photos. For me even the very latest as of yesterday still has that problem and I am very frustrated that when I print to a plotter it will only print various blocks or sections with no rime or reason. I will do some on the outside and a few in the middle and kind of all over the place. Before I print I do make sure that all sections in the print square are filled in. I do a print preview and the full map is there, but when I print only half of it is there. If I export the map to a file then I can only print in a 8-1/2 x 11 page. I really want to print a map that is 36 x 42 or something of that size. I have a HP Designjet 450c. So if anyone has any ideas it would greatly be appreciated.

Also I still can not open any waypoints from the states of Alaska or Hawaii. Can someone else try opening them and see if you can open them?

murph

I have used ExpertGPS for almost a couple of years now, and couldn't be happier with both the software and the support I've gotten. There seems to be a problem with Terraserver as noted above. Downloads are slow as molasses -- for the first time I can remember. I know they were going to move the server onto smaller boxes during the move. Perhaps they ran into a problem and haven't gotten it straightened out yet. Let's give'em a couple more days...

quote:
Originally posted by gnbrotz:

I just experienced this for the first time (as a long time user). I have downloaded the most recent version. When I exported an image, the map image went, but the waypoint & text description vanished.

There's a new option on the Export Image dialog called "Export Map Image Only". Try toggling this on and then off.

--

Dan Foster

Markj,

I can be patient, I have no problem with that and for the most part the maps are working ok except for the ones I downloaded from ExpertGps of Hawaii and Alaska. Even when Terra Server is working I can't get them to work.

The big problem I am having and I don't think it has anything to do with Terra Server is my printing problem to my plotter. I sure wish I could get that to work, I would be in 7th heaven if so.

murph

quote:
Originally posted by TopoGrafix:

quote:
Originally posted by gnbrotz:

I just experienced this for the first time (as a long time user). I have downloaded the most recent version. When I exported an image, the map image went, but the waypoint & text description vanished.

There's a new option on the Export Image dialog called "Export Map Image Only". Try toggling this on and then off.

--

Dan Foster

That did it for me! Everything is back to normal.

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

quote:
Originally posted by markj:

I have used ExpertGPS for almost a couple of years now, and couldn't be happier with both the software and the support I've gotten. There seems to be a problem with Terraserver as noted above. Downloads are slow as molasses -- for the first time I can remember.....

Let's give'em a couple more days...

Ditto what he said!

I had printing issues but they were fixed a few updates ago, and the new one is still working fine here.

More rules = Less fun!

geocachingdb_button.giftexasgeocaching_sm.gif ntga_button.gif

I downloaded the upgrade file, but now can not find it on my computer.

I tried doing a file search for a file named SetupExpertGPS.exe, but did not find it on my puter.

Is the name of the file SetupExpertGPS.exe?

Also, do I have to uninstall the old version? Or will this new install overwrite the old program and save my files and settings?

Or will this new version be a new program entirely?

The file downloaded so quickly, and it did not give me a chance to direct it to my download folder, not sure where it went.

Any help will be greatfully recieved.

BTW, my old version (1.2.1b2) still downloads maps and stat images. Why is that?

Thank you.

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win, and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Service

Dersu,

You must not have downloaded the file. The file if I remember right was close or over 1 meg. So it would have taken a while even with a fast connection. I would try downloading it again and then just click on it to install. You don't have to uninstall the old one first unless you want to. If you do want to uninstall the old one you will have to re-register the new one. I just ran the new file over the old one.

murph

quote:
Originally posted by thcri:

Dersu,

You must not have downloaded the file.

murph

You were right, it did not download.

got it now, thanks. icon_rolleyes.gificon_smile.gif

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win, and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Service