A Corvette stuck in first gear

I have a 128 Mg card in my Magellan Meridian and as I will be traveling a lot in the future, I thought I would just download a lot of map off Mapsend Topo.

Now I know why it will be worth my while to get the separate card reader/writer. I had about 58 Mgs of map I wanted to download, But the only reason I can't do it is that with the serial cable, this much data takes over 12 hours to load! My batteries wear out before I can get the data loaded!

So I only use the reader/writer once or twice, at least I can get my 'Corvette' out of first gear! icon_frown.gif

"Could be worse...could be raining"

It's a drag that the GPS manufacturers are still shunning USB. Especially since serial ports are becoming extinct. Serial communication for large transfers really sucks.

Can't you download segments? Like one state or area at a time over several sessions?

Alternately, I would suggest buying some lithium batteries, which should last > 12 hours on any GPS. Not Lithium Ions (which are rechargable) but lithium batteries. They're usually labeled as "digital camera" batteries, or such. Pretty available these days in most drugstores or supermarkets.

If you have other items like a PDA, Digicam, etc. that use digital storage cards, then a universal reader may be worth the investment anyway.

Good luck!

-Vb

Actually, Magellan has answered the current serial problem with a cable that adapts your serial cable to connect to the USB. I don't know how well this works, it is a new product.

This probably indicates future development towards USB. Heck. I'd even be willing to buy a firewire card if they decided to leapfrog and adapted to that instead of USB.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

Actually, Magellan has answered the current serial problem with a cable that adapts your serial cable to connect to the USB. I don't know how well this works, it is a new product.

This probably indicates future development towards USB. Heck. I'd even be willing to buy a firewire card if they decided to leapfrog and adapted to that instead of USB.

Cheers!

TL

THIS is the cable TotemLake was talking about. A little pricey compaired to the adaptors you can buy at a computer store, but I have heard that people have had problems getting some of those to work.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:
A cable that adapts your serial cable to connect to the USB...

...is still limited by the top speed of the GPS serial port: 115,000 baud.

A USB-RS232 adapter isn't a solution to the speed issue. It's a connectivity item for shiny new computers without "legacy" ports.

---

LDR.

I would reccomend getting a USB SD card reader/writer. You should be able to get one for less that $20. The time alone you save will make it worth it, and you won't even have to hook the GPS to the PC, just take the card out of it.

If you set the baud rate on the GPS to 115,000 instead of the defaulted 2400, you should be able to upload that 58mb file in less than an hour and a half. Before I got my SD card reader, I uploaded a 28mb map in around 45 minutes to an hour at 115,000 baud.

JetSkier