Meridian v4.02 UPDATE

ProDocJazz

Well... after 2 days on the phone with magellan my "Merigreen v4.02 problem" still exists and Magellan has been less than no help at all. 7 phone calls and unkept promises of returned calls finally ends with this explanation; "it is a MAPSEND issue, not a bug." I have been blown off by Magellan and am extremely disappointed.

They totally ignored that with v3.12 my unit was dead on and that the compass is now useless. The 1st tech I spoke with said that he had several calls about this problem but from that point on every other person I spoke with denied ANY PROBLEM with v4.02.

I am glad that others have finally had a successfull upgrade but as it was said in response to my origional thread, "ProDocJazz is up the creek."

Can anyone help me with a copy of the origional v.3.12?? Thanks guys....

()=iii=<

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

quote:

Try the Meridian Yahoo Groups' file section:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Magellan_Meridian/files/mgold_312.zip

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Magellan_Meridian/files/mgps_312.zip

alex

Thanks Alex I got the v3.12, unfortunately I still am in the creek so it must be a map issue.

FYI to all that thried to help me 1st THANKS A MILLION. I received more help online than I did from Magellan. I returned home a few minutes ago to a voice mail from a "SUPERVISOR" @ Magellan who told me that the problem was not theirs and then hung up. Ya know what... I think there may be a Garmen in my future....

()=iii=

()=iii=<

I also did the upgrade to 4.02 and I am not seeing the problems you are. What compass problem are you having? The compass on the Merigreen is only good if you are moving.

I would try the following. Clear the Merigreen and remove the SD card. Make sure you have new batteries and reinstall vers 4.02 software. After the installation completes and you turnthe unit back on reinitialize it again. Replace your Sd card and go out side and let it see satellites for at least 15 minutes to rebuild its tables.

I downloaded the upgrade a few days ago, and was not sure I wanted to risk it, after reading the horror stories from some users, but I went ahead and did it....all the while holding my breath (I about turned blue). When it was over I went out side, turned it on and after initializing it, got good sat lock and everything works fine. I followed the instructions to the letter and had no problems at all. Is there a different version of firmware for each type of Meridian? I have a Merigreen and got mine from the Meridian GPS (green) page, if so maybe you have the wrong upgrade? Just a thought. Now to try it on a cache icon_biggrin.gif

Bob G. (1pilot)

I would really like to know why half of us are experiencing so many problems.

I loaded the update and have had no problems. My compass works great. I had problems with the compass wandering and inaccuracy with 3.12.

So what is the difference? I followed the install to the letter. I made sure to clear the memory as instructed. Even though the loaded map was not deleted during upgrade. I don't know.

geomark8.gif

If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

I just tried the update to 4.01 on my Meridian GPS - so far so good after 1 day...

-Rob

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

_I would really like to know why half of us are experiencing so many problems._

I loaded the update and have had no problems. My compass works great. I had problems with the compass wandering and inaccuracy with 3.12.

So what is the difference? I followed the install to the letter. I made sure to clear the memory as instructed. Even though the loaded map was not deleted during upgrade. I don't know.

http://home1.gte.net/res1ewfe/images/geomark8.gif

_If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do._

http://www.sigmaxi.org/amsci/articles/95articles/Hunt-full.html

After loading and unloading v3.12 & v4.02 at least 4 times each I am now back to v3.12 and the unit is functioning... BUT the mapsend street still has my home waypoint in a near-by creek several hundred feet away. The compass and all else seems to be fine. I have no idea why I have such trouble with Mapsend.

Once again thanks to all that offered help. I am ever thankfull. FYI it take several attempts before I can load a region to my unit. I guess I am destined to use the basemap more than all else.

Rich ()=iii=<

Originally posted by ProDocJazz:

Well... after 2 days on the phone with magellan my "Merigreen v4.02 problem" still exists and Magellan has been less than no help at all. 7 phone calls and unkept promises of returned calls finally ends with this explanation; "it is a MAPSEND issue, not a bug." I have been blown off by Magellan and am extremely disappointed.

They totally ignored that with v3.12 my unit was dead on and that the compass is now useless. The 1st tech I spoke with said that he had several calls about this problem but from that point on every other person I spoke with denied ANY PROBLEM with v4.02.

I am glad that others have finally had a successfull upgrade but as it was said in response to my origional thread, "ProDocJazz is up the creek."

()=iii=<[/quote

()=iii=<

Well I did have problems with 3.12.

The compass problems others are having now, is what I experienced with 3.12. I just didn't know any better. I upgraded as soon as I bought my MeriPlat. So I could have the card utilities. Since the beginning I assumed the compass was very poor.

4.02 fixed my compass problems. So again I ask what is the difference we seem to be having. Half like it half of us hate it.

geomark8.gif

If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

The sugestion that you mite have downloaded the wrong software does seem like a plausible explanation. Below is a copy of a waarning for the software update for my meriplat:

"WARNING: Uploading software or firmware to a receiver for which it is not designed may render it inoperative. This update is designed only for the Meridian Platinum. "

If each model has it's own software version and you downloaded the wrong one it might explain your problems.

Mojo "afraid to upgrade sofware" cacher icon_smile.gif

I like the new features, but it seems to me that the satellite lock is not as good as it once was. I am in no way saying its junk, but whats the deal with some people having problems, and others don't. I am typically one to not follow directions and figure things out on my own, EXCEPT electronics, they are finicky. I updated my merigold "by the book," yet I still have satellite loss. The first time I loaded it, it was terrible, so I redid it and let it outside for 15-20 minutes to acquire sats. It also seems that it takes longer to get a lock too. I will do some more testing when my friend gets back from maryland. He just got a merigreen with version 3.08. I will time the both units and compare other aspects as well. Its just frustrating to see some people having no problems while others are having so many problems. I am also not saying the unit is junk because its the best gps I have ever owned. I am not knocking anyone or any of the meridian series of gps.

Someone on the yahoo groups discovered by accident that if you load the firmware using the "expert" mode, results are much better as far as sattelite lock, etc. Although I had decided I to go back to 3.12 until another firmware version came out, I decided to give it a shot and reloaded using "expert mode". So far the unit is performing much differently than it did the first time, I'm hoping that I'll be able to test it fully in the morning, but I'm optimistic based on what I'm seeing right now.

Here is one detailed description for uploading firmware in expert mode

-----------------------------------

| Uploading Firmware |in Expert Mode

-----------------------------------

Download and unzip the appropriate Firmware for your GPSR from Magellan support

Turn on the GPS and check the battery life indicator!

If it is less than half, replace the batteries (better to be safe than sorry!).

Start MAGUP.exe

The Magellan firmware loader program will display a dialog box, asking if you want to proceed with software upload.

CLICK THE NO BUTTON.

Click on 'File' in the menu bar.

Click 'SELECT CODE FILE'. An 'Open' file dialog box will appear.

Click on the appropriate code file (for Meri Gold/Platinum mgold312.hex'(for V3.12) or mgold402.hex (V4.02), for Meri Yellow/Green mgps312.hex or mgps402.hex.

Click the Open button.

Click on 'Expert' in the menu bar. The 'Expert Setup' dialog box will appear.

Confirm that the Unit Type is set to:

“Meridian” for Meridian Gold/Platinum

“Meridian GPS” for Merdian Yellow/Green

Change the selection to ON in the Expert Upload group.

Check the appropriate com port

Click the OK button.

Click on 'Upload' in the menu bar. You will get a message box stating: "Expert upload mode is turned ON."

Click the OK button.

Click 'Program Code Only'.

The "UPLOAD FILE' dialog box will appear. Confirm that the right .hex file appears to the right of 'Upload File'.

--------------------------------

| EXPERT SOFTWARE UPLOAD MODE |

--------------------------------

Turn off the GPS.

hold down the 'ESC' and 'GOTO' buttons while turning on the GPS,

The GPS should display "SOFTWARE UPLOAD MODE ACTIVE".

If it does not, please repeat this procedure and confirm that you are holding down the correct buttons while turning on the GPS.

---------------------

| The final step |

---------------------

Click 'Upload File' in the 'UPLOAD FILE' dialog box.

The 'Upload ' dialog box should appear.

This dialog box shows the status of the upload.

When the upload reaches 100%, the GPS will power off, and a status dialog box will appear, stating: "Upload of CODE complete".

Turn on the GPS and check the results.

Ed

Couldn't tell clearly, if the unit locked slower than before 4.02, had it only some days before.

I had some funny misreadings and really longer locks if powering up during driving (comparable to my former garmin)

just being curious, I did the 4.02-install procedure like in the readme file described (first Do a mem clear, write Flash, clear again) plus I took out the SD. The result is really a difference!

Just read a post on the Yahoo group I thought I'd pass along...someone reported that Magellan tech support had told him that the 4.02 firmware was "premature" and 4.15 would be released soon to address the problems that have been mentioned.

Gee, I guess you guys weren't crazy after all icon_wink.gif

Don't get even - get odd

I don't like the 4.02. I initialized and reintialized and initiazed some more to no avail, same thing. Tried the expert upload which only seemed to work for a few minutes, but started again with the same problem, plus the screwed up breadcrumb trail. Hope it gets better than this. I put 3.12 on, and it works great. If it was something I was doing wrong, I would have the same problem all the time with any version. Its not just me either.

quote:
Originally posted by ProDocJazz:

After loading and unloading v3.12 & v4.02 at least 4 times each I am now back to v3.12 and the unit is functioning... BUT the mapsend street still has my home waypoint in a near-by creek several hundred feet away. The compass and all else seems to be fine. I have no idea why I have such trouble with Mapsend.

snip

<

I had a similar problem when the datum of my GPS didn't match the geocacheing datum(NAD27 vs. WGS84). The caches were off by a few hundred feet. I don't know how Mapsend would get confused, though.

An interesting observation I've made, having my Meridian at 4.02 and my wife's identical Meridian at 3.12. The almanac (sattelite screen) almost never matches betweent the two units. I'm not talking about signal strength, but the displayed positions of the sattelites. They're close, but often different in some significant way. I wonder if this to blame for some of the problems we've seen?

When I get a total loss of fix on the 4.02 unit, it usually has part of the almanac missing...it shows 2 or 3 sattelites out of the number that are really there, when compared to the 3.12 unit.

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

When I get a total loss of fix on the 4.02 unit, it usually has part of the almanac missing...it shows 2 or 3 sattelites out of the number that are really there, when compared to the 3.12 unit.

Last weekend there were only 3 satellites in the sky map. I thought there were only 3 satellites visable above the horizon so I went home. Your explanation makes much more sense. I guess I will have to dig out my old Garmin to compare.