Favorite GPS batteries?

I have 8 1500 mAh NiMH and 8 1700 mAh that I use--I can put in a pair of the 1700's, use them the night before to load my waypoints, and use the same batteries all day seeking caches. When I first got them, I was ready to be disappointed--I put in a full charge, and they lasted until I got out of the driveway, but now that I've discharged then recharged them a few times they seem to be working great. 15T

www.1800goguard.com

I use NiMH too, rated at 1700 mAh. I have some with less capacity also, but I use the best one most of the time.

I normally don't hike for days, so a pair is sufficient for my needs for a day. Then I can recharge, if necessary. And I have external power whilst in my car.

Anders

I use some Rayovac 1600mAh NiMH rechargeables (purchased at walmart for like $10). I also have the Rayovac 1 hour charger which works great. I charge them up before I leave and they have allways lasted all day for me, even into the night witht eh backlight on.

I still carry spares just in case, but I've never had to use them. I LOVE my 1 hour charger icon_smile.gif

I use some Rayovac 1600mAh NiMH rechargeables (purchased at walmart for like $10). I also have the Rayovac 1 hour charger which works great. I charge them up before I leave and they have allways lasted all day for me, even into the night witht eh backlight on.

I still carry spares just in case, but I've never had to use them. I LOVE my 1 hour charger icon_smile.gif

I have been using Quest NiMH in my Garmin GPS12 for a few months and I really enjoy the flexibility they provide. One annoying feature I am wondering if others have seen is that my battery strength indicator never dips below about 40% so i have have little to no warning of imminent failure, the unit just shuts off. I never had this problem with regular alkaline batteries. I always carry a backup set, but I was wondering if this was common for NiMH in general, or perhaps it is related to my battery brand or GPS?

icon_confused.gif

I have been using Quest NiMH in my Garmin GPS12 for a few months and I really enjoy the flexibility they provide. One annoying feature I am wondering if others have seen is that my battery strength indicator never dips below about 40% so i have have little to no warning of imminent failure, the unit just shuts off. I never had this problem with regular alkaline batteries. I always carry a backup set, but I was wondering if this was common for NiMH in general, or perhaps it is related to my battery brand or GPS?

icon_confused.gif

we use NiMHs in the camera and in the GPS ... one thing a lot of people don't know is that NiMH's won't hold a charge (it trickles out) at room temp, so you might not be leaving home with a full charge if they have been sitting out of the charger. When you take them out of the charger, throw them in the freezer and they will still be at full charge when you pull them out.

I have two chargers, a little 4-cell one I got from aspencer.com and a big one from Radio Shack that will do 8 AA's at a time, and quickly, too. Does not overcharge, which is important with NiMH's for battery life ... make sure you get one that will cut back when the batteries are charged. We use them so much for so many things we have 32 batteries, I think! They range from 1100 to 1600 MaH. I'll have to start monitoring how long they last, but if we start with fresh batteries we can go the entire day with the Vista and have power to spare no matter which ones we throw in. icon_biggrin.gif

Happy Trails,

Candy

Candy (moosiegirl)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

we use NiMHs in the camera and in the GPS ... one thing a lot of people don't know is that NiMH's won't hold a charge (it trickles out) at room temp, so you might not be leaving home with a full charge if they have been sitting out of the charger. When you take them out of the charger, throw them in the freezer and they will still be at full charge when you pull them out.

I have two chargers, a little 4-cell one I got from aspencer.com and a big one from Radio Shack that will do 8 AA's at a time, and quickly, too. Does not overcharge, which is important with NiMH's for battery life ... make sure you get one that will cut back when the batteries are charged. We use them so much for so many things we have 32 batteries, I think! They range from 1100 to 1600 MaH. I'll have to start monitoring how long they last, but if we start with fresh batteries we can go the entire day with the Vista and have power to spare no matter which ones we throw in. icon_biggrin.gif

Happy Trails,

Candy

Candy (moosiegirl)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

The bahavior of the battery meter gauge is typical for NiMH batteries. They don't reach the same voltage, even when fully charged, as the alkalines do. On the other hand, the voltage doesn't drop that low while discharging either.

This means that the battery meter will not indicate full, when they are, but will not indicate empty either, when they are, since the NiMH batteries will keep their voltage longer, and then drop dead suddenly.

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

The bahavior of the battery meter gauge is typical for NiMH batteries. They don't reach the same voltage, even when fully charged, as the alkalines do. On the other hand, the voltage doesn't drop that low while discharging either.

This means that the battery meter will not indicate full, when they are, but will not indicate empty either, when they are, since the NiMH batteries will keep their voltage longer, and then drop dead suddenly.

Anders

I don't know what this does, but, For the Garmin GPS V Changes made from Software version 2.02 to 2.03: includes Added NiCad and NiMH battery support.

Thanks, Mike

It's Purple Martin Time in Tennessee

I am using 1500 mah NiMH cells with brand name Telepower. I bought 4 cells and a small overnight (low amperage) charger at Ritz Camera (now Wolf Camera in the Atlanta area) for $15. They work fine, but required a 3 cycle break-in before they delivered full capacity.

FWIW,

CharlieP

Eveready also produces a line of rechargable NiMH batteries (AA's at 1700mAh) under the 'Energizer' name, along with a 5 hour charger that 'trickles' your batteries once fully charged so that they remain 'topped-up' until you need them. I found both the charger and the batteries available at 'Home Depot' (the charger and 4 AA's cost me about $50CAD/$30USD). Like the commercials say, "...they just keep going, and going, and going...".