Where does all the money go?

Talk of key rings and sig items, not to mention the money invested in web sites (you know who you are) got me to wondering if anyone has a running total of the cost of their hobby?

This weekend I spent £16 on the Avery products and £40 on a laminator, hunted 2 caches, round trip 80 miles.

Is anyone brave enough to estimate start up costs, running costs or cost per cache?

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Never, ever cost out your hobby! If you enjoy it and can afford it - great!

If I were to add up the GPS, mapping software, petrol/diesel, batteries, ammo boxes, trinkets, air fares, etc., etc,. etc. I might get too frightened to go out again!!

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

It's amazing how much diesel you can get through in a weekend...

One thing that simply defies logic is that no matter how many bits 'n' bobs you buy as swops, you always need more. Where do these things go??

In theory, you could get one item and swop it indefinitely, but in practice they all seem to disappear into a big black hole.

p.s. I'm keeping the bug in the box with the wobbly legs.

quote:
Travers wrote:

In theory, you could get one item and swop it indefinitely, but in practice they all seem to disappear into a big black hole.

Yes, that's the problem. I think I've got a well-stocked bag, but people keep putting things into caches that I want to keep, so the bag goes down by one. icon_rolleyes.gif

Bill

quote:

Yes, that's the problem. I think I've got a well-stocked bag, but people keep putting things into caches that I want to keep, so the bag goes down by one. icon_rolleyes.gif

I find that a wander around a few charity shops restocks the goody bag quite cheaply.

However, I'm now starting to get interested in laminating a few calling cards as well. icon_razz.gif

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:
Travers wrote:

Sounds like 'Luggage' to me. That's the only box I know with wobbly legs. icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, though... I took one of them critters from one of the first caches I found and moved it on to a cache at Ivinghoe Beacon. I wonder if this is one of yer actual 'travel bugs' and has managed to find it's way to you?

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

quote:
Is anyone brave enough to estimate start up costs, running costs or cost per cache?

I have been told many times that the definition of a hobby is "something on which you can spend as much as you like, and don't need to justify a penny of it"!

When I feel guilty that I am going caching (maybe taking Michael too), and maybe ignoring family, I simply say to myself "hey, Paul, this is *good* and *healthy*, so there is NO NEED to be at all guilty".

I was feeling a bit rough over the weekend, but on Saturday had to get up early to collect a parcel. Afterwards, Callum (my 7 yr old) and I went caching, and then had a short but VERY nice walk in some woods, and saw some friendly horses too... whilst I felt tired, I also felt a LOT better as a result!

Paul

Team Blitz

Noone in their right mind would place a cache THERE....

I don't normally add up the cost either, BUT, and it's a big but (no pun intended) the good lady wife adds up the cost for me.

Not, so that I don't spend it, but so she can demand an equal spend on unnecessary things like clothes.

Some sort of weird feminine logic icon_smile.gif (Lance ducks behind computer to avoid massed Padington bear stares)

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

Though if I remember correctly, the one I found had one of it's back legs missing.

John

Wow...there must be a whole family of them out there. I wonder who set them free?

quote:
Originally posted by Travers:

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

Though if I remember correctly, the one I found had one of it's back legs missing.

John

Wow...there must be a whole family of them out there. I wonder who set them free?

I can rememberleaving one in a cache in west yorks last year it had all its legs , I think I bought it at the gadget shop in the metro cenrte