The polls are open - now for some canvassing!

Checked the rules and there's nothing about canvassing so:

Vote for my logo!

logo.jpg

No. 15

www.geocacheuk.com

Hey, 5 TB tags is 5 TB tags!

(I started this thread to publicise my logo and to allow people to post full size logos for consideration - mine looks really small on G:UK - please feel free to exhibit your logo or post your comments below)

[This message was edited by Team Galaxy on February 07, 2003 at 03:15 AM.]

[This message was edited by Team Galaxy on February 07, 2003 at 03:17 AM.]

Hmmmm...nope. Too reminiscent of ICQ if you ask me....

Nothing wrong with ICQ I hasten to add, but their logo is a green petalled flowery thing too...

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

The shape represents points of a compass. The colours and the leafy appearance represent the crossover with nature and the outdoors.

The typeface was selected carefully and was intended to convey a bright and breezy, fun feeling.

course, if you want a picture of a GPSr with a union jack behind it...

I believe you need to stop & ask the question: what is wanted from a logo... WHY do we want it? ... in what way is it likely to be used?

I reckon a good UK logo will get used in various places: on web sites, on ammo boxes, on bits of paper, on keyrings, coins etc

So, I reckon it needs to be very simple, not too "busy", so it can be BIG or small, and still be very recognisable. It needs to still be very clear when printed in black & white (I prefer to print on a laser if its going in a cache: no ink-run like an ink-jet when it gets damp).

It would also be nice to be able to "add to it" and still "keep the style" (eg add my geocaching team name to it).

Paul

quote:
Originally posted by Team Galaxy:

I have to agree, that _is_ a good logo...

_VOTE FOR ME!_

_VOTE FOR ME!_

_VOTE FOR ME!_

Certainly... what was your logo number?

Number 16? Alrighty then! icon_wink.gif

Oh, and if anyone missed the gist... vote for number 16!

Why? I tried to find a simple design, black and white that can be modified if necessary to any colour scheme.

Simple enough so the GX:UK is recogniseable from a distance, without having to get up close to read the text, and though the use of the GX identifies itself as a part of the Geocaching community (again, without having to get up close to read the text).

And for Paul's benefit, easily changeable to include team names/whatnot. icon_biggrin.gif

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

Am I the only person who doesn't really like the circular G shaped graphic thing with the cross which seems to have been universally adopted? I really can't see its attraction.

I like it, but I do think the GUK logo should be something original, not the generic GX logo with 'GEOCACHEUK' written underneath.

Which brings me onto some completely impartial, totally unbiased views on what we should look for in the logo.

It should be original. This rules out 4, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16 and 17

It most definitely shouldn't breach someone else's copyright. This rules out 4, 17, and possibly 18

It should be simple and easy to reproduce. This rules out 1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 18 and 19

It should be easily rendered in black and white. This rules out 1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 9, 17, 18 and 19

It should graphically represent both geocaching and the UK. This rules out 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19

Which leaves one clear winner. Vote for number 5!

logo.gif

P.S. I told you I'd be impartial!

SimonG.org

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So which junior school do you attend

??????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS Theres only one ? in my name!

Hey you guys,

I think this has gone far enough. I know there is nothing in the guidelines against this but surely the right place to debate this is on the G:UK forum.

If I were Jeremy Irish I would be getting a little up tight right now. I guess the G:UK logo is going to be used by some (at least) instead of the GC.com logo which advertises this website. Therefore I think it tactless to hold this conversation here.

Also, I'm not sure that the relationship between G:UK and GC.com has matured enough to allow this thread to continue.

Time to stop I think.

Thanks.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

Hey you guys,

I think this has gone far enough. I know there is nothing in the guidelines against this but surely the right place to debate this is on the G:UK forum.

Time to stop I think.

icon_smile.gif

I can't see a problem with a little personal propaganda myself. It surprises me that it looks like a cannabis leaf and no one else has picked up on that though. Maybe it's just me?

quote:
Originally posted by ?:

Sorry Simon but number 5 looks vaguely like a sex education cartoon I saw once ... icon_biggrin.gif

I think it's the little smirk that makes it seem that way.

I like #9 then #17 (though it needs the website address added).

Is it worth risking the relationship between geocaching.com and G:UK.com ?

"The Cat" and "Teasel" have both worked hard, been patient and honourable, just so that geocaching.com will allow them to continue taking data from this website.

"The Cat" once said he will pull the plug on G:UK if he can no longer access that data.

So, I ask the question again, "Do you want to risk geocaching.com getting the hump with G:UK ? Perhaps The Cat or Teasel would like to pass comment.

Would Mr Tesco's be just a little upset with a discussion on his forum about how to improve Mr Sainsbury's. A rather extreme example, I know.

If you wish to continue discussing it, then carry on. I have nothing to loose either way, but you have been informed.

There is a place where this can be discussed without any risk. On G:UK.com, is it not common sense to do this somewhere it will definately not cause any ill feeling ?

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

I guess I should apologise for starting this thread. I've only been using these boards since December and I guess I've missed the politics a little!

I must say though, after the Dan and Pid ModAnt saga and all, posting to the UK Forums is a bit like walking on eggshells. I've only been responsible for starting 2 or 3 threads and always give careful consideration to what I post, and really didn't see a problem with this post. Maybe I should have a twenty four hour cooling off period before I hit the Post Now button!

All I would say is that I am paying Jeremy for membership of this community and as such I would expect to be able to use the forum in this way, for what is after all a bit of fun between the UK based members.

Anyway. Like I said, sorry if I caused upset. I'll go back to lurking until I understand the politics better.

Well I have set up a forum on Geocacheuk.com for the discussion of the Logo entrys. If folks would like to discuss the topic there then you are welcome to do so.

But while I can understand the point that Tim & June make in there post this forum is for discussion on geocaching in the UK. I surpose that if you feel that GeocacheUK is part of geocaching in the UK then I personaly dont see a problem. In the forums on our site we have people refering to geocaching.com all the time and we dont have a problem with that. Also we have links from our site to geocaching.com. We are not trying to take away from geocaching.com just enhance the caching expereance for UK Cachers.

But the final say must rest with the moderators of this forum if they say that they do not feel the topic is sutiable for this forum then so be it. As I say feel free to discuss over on our site.

Mark (TheCat)

www.geocacheuk.com

quote:
Originally posted by Nia:

we can't register on your forums, can you not ruduce the minimum characters, so we and others like MCL can use the same username.

You can get around it by registering as Nia. That's what MCL did (I know, 'coz I suggested it!).

But it would make more sense for Mark to reduce the minimum length.

SimonG.org

quote:

So, I ask the question again, "Do you want to risk geocaching.com getting the hump with G:UK ? Perhaps The Cat or Teasel would like to pass comment.

I agree that the G:UK forums are an appropriate place to discuss this. However if, as Team Blitz suggest, this logo might be used for UK geocaching in general, then I think the wider geocaching community should have a say in the choice, not just the half dozen people who regularly read the G:UK forums.

So, we can either acknowledge that the Groundspeak forums are the de facto home of UK geocaching discussions, and risk upsetting Jeremy & co by discussing the logo here. Or alternatively we can just post a link to the G:UK forums, and risk Jeremy thinking we're trying to draw people away from Groundspeak and onto the G:UK forums.

I've spent a lot of time and words trying to persuade people that the GeocacheUK stats pages are there to add value to geocaching.com by providing new features, not to compete with it by simply providing a new interface to existing features. So a thread on Groundspeak encouraging people onto the G:UK forums would worry me just as much as this one.

But everyone seems to know about it now, and it's been discussed here more than is perhaps prudent, so I suggest we take T&J's advice!

[This message was edited by Teasel on February 07, 2003 at 05:25 PM.]

I would just like to add the postscript that over the pond our cousins have no problem with advertising their own associations such as MGA, Geocky etc.

And TPTB I assume accept that these sites are designed to be run alongside the mothership and not in competition.

I can only say that Marks site is a great addition to the UK scene.

I do however agree that a topics such as site design and logos etc should be discussed on G:UK.

JMHO icon_smile.gif

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

quote:
Originally posted by Nia:

Mark

we can't register on your forums, can you not ruduce the minimum characters, so we and others like MCL can use the same username.

Please

Tech-no notice

Oh I wish it where that simple. I have looked at the admin and there is no way to alter the mimimum characters in the forums as we have them now. I do have a new system ready to come on-line in the near future. But till then take SimonG's advice it will work.

Mark (TheCat)

www.geocacheuk.com

Well, I'm really on the periphery of all this, but on the main forum page it does say "Talk Geocaching in the United Kingdom", so I don't see what the issue is.

How would you know whether to start a thread on GC.com (UK page) or G:UK?

Wait for the iron fist in the silk glove of the Moderator to come down I guess. icon_wink.gif

(I'm only bitter 'cos I started a thread when Everton beat Arsenal 2-1 and it was deleted (fair enough really icon_smile.gif)

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

quote:
I guess the G:UK logo is going to be used by some (at least) instead of the GC.com logo which advertises this website.

Its a difficult issue: the usage of the GC.com logo is now being carefully controlled (for good reasons) which is the reason why many are looking for an alternative "GNU licence" logo (not just in UK, but in US etc too).

G:UK will NEVER take over from GC.com, simply because THIS is where we post the caches, and we log our finds.

If TPTB have a problem with G:UK, then they must surely have more of an issue with other sites, such as www.geocaching.nl.

I would hope that Jeremy I and his colleagues are able to realise that all these OTHER sites actually make GC.com the "hub" of geocaching, nad don't actually detract from it at all.

Just my 2c worth.....

Paul

Team Blitz

White gravel? What white gravel? I can't see any.... heck, who cares!

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

Don't think it's encrypted.. It's just written in Dutch icon_wink.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Err....O.K. Thanks for that.. Clears that right up icon_wink.gif

(I was trying to be funny there!)

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

I've just got in trouble for the second time this week!

The first time I got in trouble with T&J for posting this thread, the reason being that it would upset Jeremy's sensitivities because people might use the geocacheuk logo instead of the geocaching.com logo.

Today I was asked by Jeremy to change my avatar - he objected to the use of the geocaching.com logo and asked me to use something else.

I have, of course obliged!

quote:

Today I was asked by Jeremy to change my avatar - he objected to the use of the geocaching.com logo and asked me to use something else.

Wow, they're really clamping down if you can't use the Groundspeak logo as your avatar in a Groundspeak forum! As for this thread, I don't reckon Jeremy would have a problem with it - it's no different to the thread that resulted in the GX logo, to which Jeremy made several enthusiastic posts.

SimonG.org

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG:

Wow, they're really clamping down if you can't use the Groundspeak logo as your avatar in a Groundspeak forum!

In fairness, I had used a modified version of the geocaching.com logo, which when I checked the usage guidelines was clearly against the rules, and I have absolutely no problem with this.

Still think there's some irony here though!

quote:

The first time I got in trouble with T&J for posting this thread, the reason being that it would upset Jeremy's sensitivities because people might use the geocacheuk logo instead of the geocaching.com logo.

Two things,

Firstly who said you were in trouble?

and

I posted my opinions, as you have posted yours, am I not entitled to do so ?

Perhaps my posts have been misread.

I did say

quote:
If I were Jeremy Irish I would be getting a little up tight right now. I guess the G:UK logo is going to be used by some (at least) instead of the GC.com logo which advertises this website. Therefore I think it tactless to hold this conversation here.

Note I said "If I were Jeremy" and "I guess" and "I think".

It's true to say that the sentence beginning with "I guess the G:UK logo is going ..." could have been worded differently, perhaps I should have said "After all, the logo you're discussing will be used to advertise another website, the fate of which depends upon Jeremy's goodwill."

When it appeared that my post might have been misunderstood, I said "If you wish to continue discussing it, then carry on. I have nothing to loose either way."

I'm sorry you don't feel we are doing a good job here. Many hours and best endeavours, given freely, wasted!

Perhaps I should reiterate, If you wish to continue discussing it, then carry on. I have nothing to loose either way.

Happy caching

Tim & June

PS. Is there a reason you changed your by-line (under your avatar) to read "Rabble Rousers"?

quote:

perhaps I should have said "After all, the logo you're discussing will be used to advertise another website, the fate of which depends upon Jeremy's goodwill."

I hope I am not speaking out of turn but I am a little concerned that the fate of GeocacheUK.com is in the hands of another. In the time the site has been running it has cost me well into 4 figures to get to the position we are now. I have spent many hours on the site so has Teasel. The site was setup to give UK Cachers another rescource and to complement Geocaching.com. I decided when I set up the site that we would never charge the cacher and never will. We have had dialog with GC.com and and the help we have recieved has been great. We thank them for that. But if the geocacheUK.com is going to be the cause of conflict I would rather call it quits. I will however not do that if the site is usefull to the people that use it. I am sure that we help in a small way in reducing the trafic on GC.com's servers as quite a bit of information can be found on our site. You still however have to log on to GC.com to log caches and always have to as it is pointless to try and do something the GC.com do so well.

The comment I made sometime ago about closing down the site was due to the lack of communication we where having with GC.com this is not an issue anymore. Teasel has coppied me the messages he has sent and recieved from the guys at GC.com and we are working well as anyone that has looked at the stats pages can see.

I am not trying to get at anybody with this post. Tim & June have a tight rope to walk and it is a far harder job than I have with gc:uk. They deserve our full support in what they do they have mine. Long may they continue.

Mark (TheCat)

www.geocacheuk.com

T&J, it's not that I don't think you're doing a good job - I just think that you were wrong on this occasion.

I have noted many other occasions when I have felt you have acted admirably, and I suppose I have been a little bit naughty here, posting what I have, when really I should have come straight out and said I thought you were wrong.

Sorry, I have a wicked streak! I would not like to do what you do, because people will critique everything you do. But that does not mean to say I will remain silent if I disagree.

Hope this clears the air a little.

My signature line was a little bit of 'tongue in cheek', meant to show that I knew I was being a little bit mischievous, but not taking myself that seriously.

I do appreciate you really!

quote:
Originally posted by TheCat:

I am a little concerned that the fate of GeocacheUK.com is in the hands of another.

Apologies if I trivialised your strength and position.

quote:

But if the geocacheUK.com is going to be the cause of conflict I would rather call it quits.

Conflict ! Nah ! Don't want that.

quote:

The comment I made sometime ago about closing down the site was due to the lack of communication we where having with GC.com this is not an issue anymore. Teasel has coppied me the messages he has sent and recieved from the guys at GC.com and we are working well as anyone that has looked at the stats pages can see.

I was going on that comment you made a while ago and thought you would rather avoid a situation, hence my post.

quote:

I am not trying to get at anybody with this post. Tim & June have a tight rope to walk and it is a far harder job than I have with gc:uk. They deserve our full support in what they do they have mine. Long may they continue.

Thanks for that, we appreciate being appreciated. icon_smile.gif

Important too, that you realise we appreciate the great job you and Teasel have done. That is why we were trying to protect it by making sure no feathers were ruffled.

quote:

Hope this clears the air a little.

I do appreciate you really!

Consider it cleared icon_biggrin.gif

There has been a lot go through this forum in the last 18 months, makes the politicians look like Mother Theresa.

Tim & June (Winchester)