What a strange place for a cache.

Simes

I don`t want to sound as if it`s "my" hill but JAG003 (GCH5FZ) is just 667 FEET away from one of my own caches. the strange thing is that the owner hasn`t been to Shropshire View (GC20ED) since I put it there in October 2001.

How many feet are in 0.1 miles anyway?

quote:
Originally posted by Simes:

I don`t want to sound as if it`s "my" hill but JAG003 (GCH5FZ) is just 667 FEET away from one of my own caches.

Excellent! We didn't have time for this one last time we were in the area, so now we can do 2!

Actually, Simes, I know what you mean - we felt we were being a little cheeky placing a cache 1.2 miles from another one on the same stretch of canal, but that's just daft.

Maybe they don't actually know yours is there - though I can't work out how.

---

Actually, Sarah has pointed out this looks like a 'holiday cache'. The hider has hidden 14 caches all over the world (Switzerland, Alaska, Indiana, Japan...). They probably aren't even aware your cache was there.

Cheers,

Stu

[This message was edited by Stu & Sarah on November 03, 2003 at 02:22 PM.]

Adam is spot on - 528feet is the cutoff point we use when approving caches.

It IS possible to get closer but there needs to be a special reason/circumstance. For instance the other side of a canyon or river.

I think most people check their location for closeness to other caches before submitting them these days. I've not had to turn down a cache due to this limit being breached (yet)

------------------------------

Chill out - I'm doing my best!

I have two caches which going as the crow flies appear to be close. Unless you have a boat or are very strong swimmer you need to do 4 miles walking/cycling/driving to get too both. They are on opposite sides of a bay. I can easily see how caches may appear to be close, as an example you could have two caches on the opposite sides of a river with a 20 mile walk to the nearest bridge! Now that would be fustrating!

quote:
Capt Slog wrote:

I thought these were not allowed. I'm sure I read something about it in the rules somewhere.

That's correct, but the approver wouldn't necessarily realise it was one (if in fact it is). And there's nothing in the placer's user profile to say where they're from.

Also, there's an exception. If the placer has someone in the area who can maintain the cache, that's usually ok.

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

quote:
Originally posted by Cushag:

example you could have two caches on the opposite sides of a river with a 20 mile walk to the nearest bridge! Now that would be fustrating!

I seem to remember doing this (cache has been moved since) and got quite a few emails saying 'I could see where the cache was but it was on the wrong side of the river!' Ironically the hint was 'Stay on the West side of the river'.

I adjusted my cruelty streak and the cache was moved. However, I can see Nattybooshka making notes icon_smile.gif

Andy

quote:
Originally posted by Capt Slog:

quote:
Actually, Sarah has pointed out this looks like a 'holiday cache'.

I thought these were not allowed. I'm sure I read something about it in the rules somewhere.

Hi Guys,

Sorry I've only just caught up with this thread!

When I approved the cache, although it did not say anything in the listing to suggest it, I did think this could be a vacation cache. In many ways both this cache, and another the setter laid, sounded very similar in name and type to caches near Guildford in Surrey. I e-mailed asking for more info on this and have heard nothing more.

However, as I stated there was nothing in the cahce description to specifically alert me to it being a vacation cache, and as has been pointed out, if you have someone prepared to do maintenance there is no problem......

Cheers and Cache Well,

Eckington

Ok, daft question while we're on the subject of vacation caches and approval.

1) Someone places a vacation cache with no provision for maintenance.

2) They submit it to gc.com

3) It is not approved, and quite rightly.

Who removes the box? Surely if it isn't approved, no-one even knows it's there. At this point, it really does become litter. The placer can't remove it because they've now gone 1000 miles home.

Is there a method for removal?

quote:
Originally posted by Stu & Sarah:

Ok, daft question while we're on the subject of vacation caches and approval.

1) Someone places a vacation cache with no provision for maintenance.

2) They submit it to gc.com

3) It is not approved, and quite rightly.

Who removes the box? Surely if it isn't approved, no-one even knows it's there. At this point, it really does become litter. The placer can't remove it because they've now gone 1000 miles home.

Is there a method for removal?

This has happened to me on two occasions.

Luckily I was able, through this forum, to get someone to adopt the caches.

If this could not be done I would take a check on the hearest caches and ask the owner of one of these to visit and remove the cache and then I would archive it......obviously I would far prefer someone to adopt.

Eckington

quote:
Originally posted by Eckington:

Luckily I was able, through this forum, to get someone to adopt the caches.

If this could not be done I would take a check on the hearest caches and ask the owner of one of these to visit and remove the cache and then I would archive it......obviously I would far prefer someone to adopt.

Eckington

You could aways add them to the adoptacache page icon_wink.gif

Sarah

--

http://adoptacache.pygmygoat.net/