Game on!

All players need to watch this travel bug:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=872

Which is called TB368 or 'They Think It's All Over', it should shortly be appearing in cache in the Leeds area, although it has already been placed.

The game starts as soon as the bug is logged, which will be some time tonight or early tomorrow.

To avoid disapointment prehaps only team members near the cache should attempt to move it as it would be very fustrating to drive miles and miles only to find it had gone.

Don't mention the mushrooms

In an effort to make things move, I would ask all members of the Odds team to try and muster some positive thoughts at 8 o'clock this evening so that we might move the ball by telekinesis from where it lies to The Hunters Stones some 15 miles north.

I realise this is a bit of a longshot.

( icon_razz.gif to the Evens)

Finding your caches - Losing my marbles.

In an effort to make things move, I would ask all members of the Odds team to try and muster some positive thoughts at 8 o'clock this evening so that we might move the ball by telekinesis from where it lies to The Hunters Stones some 15 miles north.

I realise this is a bit of a longshot.

( icon_razz.gif to the Evens)

quote:
Originally posted by dylanhayes:

Evens home goal is Path To Arthurs Seat 2 (GC54AD) (Edinburgh)

Odds home goal is The Devil & The Deep Blue Sea (Dorset) (GC3F1F) (Swanage)

Ie evens want to get the bug to Swanage, odds want to get it to Edinburgh.

Which of these two contradictory statements is correct? Since we've just kicked the ball north, I'm kind of hoping the first one. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Evens home goal is Path To Arthurs Seat 2 (GC54AD) (Edinburgh)

Odds home goal is The Devil & The Deep Blue Sea (Dorset) (GC3F1F) (Swanage)

Ie evens want to get the bug to Swanage, odds want to get it to Edinburgh.

Which of these two contradictory statements is correct? Since we've just kicked the ball north, I'm kind of hoping the first one. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

I didn't think they were contradictory. I read home goal as our goal that we need to protect so we should be kicking south.

Of course we all knew this and just passed it north to facilitate a better route south. Ooops let the cat out there. [icon_biggrin.gif]

quote:

I didn't think they were contradictory. I read home goal as our goal that we need to protect so we should be kicking south.

Of course we all knew this and just passed it north to facilitate a better route south. Ooops let the cat out there. [:P]

'Home goal' is the goal a team defends. If anybody has a better term for this please tell me, as I'm not well versed in sporting terminology. I apologise for any confusion the term may have caused, although I did think maybe moving the ball towards one's own goal was part of some breathtaking strategic vision I was totally unable to comprehend. Or page28 was a sleeper for the other side.

quote:

I did think maybe moving the ball towards one's own goal was part of some breathtaking strategic vision I was totally unable to comprehend.

Well, obviously, it is *really*. All this 'oh no we've kicked it the wrong way' talk is just a blind. We've calculated that by moving it north, the extra gravitational pull of the opposition rushing towards it will drag the North Sea inland, thus placing our goal underwater.

But don't tell the odds.

quote:

'Home goal' is the goal a team defends. If anybody has a better term for this please tell me, as I'm not well versed in sporting terminology.

You could have said the evens are defending Arthur's Seat or possibly they are playing North to South which would be the equivalent of when a football commentator says "England are playing right to left" (as you see the match on a telly).

I guess that makes me an attacking mid fielder rather than a defender.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

I guess that makes me an attacking mid fielder rather than a defender.

... and I am no longer in goal, but am right up front, goal-hanging and ready to finish the attack, claiming a magnificent victory for the team!!!

-----------------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

As I'm off to Ireland for a week's general chilling out starting tomorrow, and will not looking at the forums.

In the unlikely event there is a rule clarification you can email bugger at moraine dot co dot uk (spelt out to avoid spam harvesters) and I'll try and get back as I will be checking email.

I think the lack-of-movement is more down to the fact that there are few cachers in the area on either team so it is difficult to arrange a trip to pick up the ball.

Adding to the number possible moves once the ball is picked up doesn't really solve this.

I rather like the somewhat sedate pace of play - it seems quite refined somehow icon_smile.gif

-----------------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

I think the lack-of-movement is more down to the fact that there are few cachers in the area on either team so it is difficult to arrange a trip to pick up the ball.

Adding to the number possible moves once the ball is picked up doesn't really solve this.

I rather like the somewhat sedate pace of play - it seems quite refined somehow icon_smile.gif

-----------------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

-----------------

el10t

_mobilis in mobili_

I'm sorry I don't agree. Out of the 25 caches nearest to the ball at the moment half of them are virtuals, multi-caches or caches where the ball has previously been. A few are to the east or west.

There are only a handful of possible moves. Increasing the range to 25 miles would open things out. Using the current rules, if the ball ever finds it's way to Hertfordshire it will only be able to move about two miles at a time (well two miles + 35ft anyway).

I think this is a sensible change to make, but as I'm not playing anyway, it's up to those who are.

Alex.

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

-----------------

el10t

_mobilis in mobili_

I'm sorry I don't agree. Out of the 25 caches nearest to the ball at the moment half of them are virtuals, multi-caches or caches where the ball has previously been. A few are to the east or west.

There are only a handful of possible moves. Increasing the range to 25 miles would open things out. Using the current rules, if the ball ever finds it's way to Hertfordshire it will only be able to move about two miles at a time (well two miles + 35ft anyway).

I think this is a sensible change to make, but as I'm not playing anyway, it's up to those who are.

Alex.

I take your point Alex, but am still not sure how opening the number of possible moves up at the moment solves the problem of the ball not moving.

If the ball were near me, I wouldn't be thinking:

"I WOULD pick up the ball but am not going to because there are not enough options to move it to". Unfortunately the ball isn't near me which is exactly why I haven't picked it up yet.

I think your suggestion will solve the second issue you have mentioned - that in a densely packed area the ball may only move a short distance at a time. This could get tedious, but we haven't actually experienced it yet.

-----------------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

I am thinking of charging rent for the amount of time this ball has remained in my cache. But failing that I might join in if it is alowed at this late stage I would be on the evens team as my birthdate is 18/12. So can someone let me know if I am alowed to join now the game has started and I will go kick the ball.

Mark (TheCat)

www.geocacheuk.com

quote:
Originally posted by Mark C Thompson:

I might join in if it is alowed at this late stage I would be on the evens team as my birthdate is 18/12. So can someone let me know if I am alowed to join now the game has started and I will go kick the ball.

Lots of people have joined up since kick-off. To quote Dylan in the original thread:

quote:
The rules state that teams must be formed 'up front'. I will clarify that point.

I guess team captains are responsible for allowing people join or depart from the game, and answerable to the ref if there is any funny business.

We haven't really got a captain, but I don't think anyone will object! Except the Odds, of course. Now go kick the ball!

quote:
can someone let me know if I am alowed to join now the game has started

I think as a punishment for joining late Mark should join the odds for two reasons.

1) We'd then have someone within a hundred miles of the ball.

and

2) He'd have to kick the ball towards Edinburgh. Oh, I'd forgotten, you do that as an even as well! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
can someone let me know if I am alowed to join now the game has started

I think as a punishment for joining late Mark should join the odds for two reasons.

1) We'd then have someone within a hundred miles of the ball.

and

2) He'd have to kick the ball towards Edinburgh. Oh, I'd forgotten, you do that as an even as well! icon_biggrin.gif

Meant to say something about the rules. I think I disagree with Alex about opening the rules out. The reason the ball isn't moving at the moment has nothing to do with the lack of options on where to move it - the 25 mile rule won't help.

When (if!) it gets to Hertfordshire - yes the caches are really close together, but there are also a lot of cachers there too. I'm hoping the one will offset the other. For the moment I propose nothing changes and we see how it goes.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

Please forgive my appearent slow uptake, but I'm only just bringing myself kicking and struggling into the 21st century after a computer free week in Co. Donegal.

The cache was placed before the game started, and although the ball was moved to one of the players own caches this is legal (building caches specifically to move to is not to avoid the temptation to make an impossible to find cache), although the TV on demand is not in the first 25, if you allow for non playable caches it is in the first 25 playable caches.

Once I know what the foul is a punishment can be worked out. I'm pleased to see the ball moving at last anyway icon_razz.gif It looks like these games are going to be long term things like play-by-mail chess and the like...

Please forgive my appearent slow uptake, but I'm only just bringing myself kicking and struggling into the 21st century after a computer free week in Co. Donegal.

The cache was placed before the game started, and although the ball was moved to one of the players own caches this is legal (building caches specifically to move to is not to avoid the temptation to make an impossible to find cache), although the TV on demand is not in the first 25, if you allow for non playable caches it is in the first 25 playable caches.

Once I know what the foul is a punishment can be worked out. I'm pleased to see the ball moving at last anyway icon_razz.gif It looks like these games are going to be long term things like play-by-mail chess and the like...