Markings on ammo boxes

The Cuthberts

I looked into this.

I don't believe there is a photographic technique to make a stencil. You can print and cut it in card (easy), but the stencil won't last that long. You can cut it in plastic (not easy) and the stencil will survive for ages.

Apparantly (although I haven't managed to confirm it yet), the method the military use is to use a stencil kit. There's a frame of some sort, with squares with letters cut out. You assemble the required message into the frame, then spray it. This sounds like the best plan - lasts well, and can customise messages, but I'm not sure how expensive/bulky the kit is. Nor how many letters/numbers you get in the set.

Edit: Found a link and another.

Cheers,

Stu

[This message was edited by Stu & Sarah on September 19, 2003 at 06:15 AM.]

Many thanks for the replies. I did try the 'by hand' painting but it was just a collection of white splodges ! Cutting things with knives is not something in the 'Cuthbert Handbook of Survival' Pid as we are probably the clumsiest couple on Earth !

I shall try the website and if it looks good we will take a spray-can cache-checking with us and post the results.

I was just a bit worried about some of the comments from our US cousins where their caches had sparked off scares, etc.

Andy

I bought a sheet of stencil card from my local art shop for a couple of pounds, it took me about half an hour of relaxation with a scalpel and voila, it's done about 8-9 boxes and is still going strong. If you have the small size boxes I could pop the stencil in an envelope and post it to you if you return it to me after you've used it. Let me have your address if you're interested.

For the paint I just got an end of line can of spray from the bargain bin in my local car accessory shop as I wasn't worried about the colour.

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Why is it that when you're out for a walk carrying a map everyone asks if you're lost?

Having been in the military and stencilled many signs etc, here is the method that we found to work the best:

First of all we did indeed use a set of interlocking brass precut letters that we held in place with masking tape. Next take a small piece of foam rubber and roll it (Swiss roll style) and secure it with tape. Then trim the foam to a point with scissors. Using a small quantity of paint on the foam point, apply gently to the stencil and repeat until done.

This should work equally well with a card stencil IMHO.

Browser

quote:
Originally posted by Browser:

First of all we did indeed use a set of interlocking brass precut letters that we held in place with masking tape....

I use a set of brass, interlocking stencils that I got from RS Components. The part number, for a 1" high A-Z set is 312-2872 and they were priced at £11.25 + VAT per set.

Like Browser, I hold them in place with masking tape but then give them a quick spray with a white aerosol.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability icon_wink.gif

I downloaded a suitable free font off the web. Printed what I wanted onto a transparency then cut the letters. I then sprayed a very small amount of photo adhesive on the back to "hold" it to the surface to be sprayed then sprayed the colour I wanted. The stencil gets a bit messy after one or two applications but can be wiped clear. As the layers builds up it gets stronger. The only problem I had was the cross bar in letter A's that are quite small so cut them to be bigger than printed. Oh, the other problem was over spray which resulted in the garden bench now having silver patches.