The Great Yorkshire Cache Hunt

Just to let folks know...

The organisation of this event has been taking place over recent weeks and we now have selected the cache locations. There are 24 caches, 16 physical, and 8 virtual. There is one bonus cache and one multiple cache.

I can say it has involved a HUGE amount work for both Dylan and myself... far more than we anticipated !

The coordinates will not be supplied until the morning of the event and we hope to upload them using a laptop onto each cachers GPS. If you do not have a GPS>PC cable please let us know before the event and we will be able to supply the coordinates earlier to enable manual entry. (We have a standard etrex cable)

Some new pictures have been posted on the information site that may (or may not icon_biggrin.gif ) show actual locations of caches, so if you intend taking part it might be worth studying the pics.

Hope you can support this event.

quote:
Originally posted by Moss Trooper:

Although I use an Etrex I can bring along a cable for the GPS12 series.

Yes please, if you would, that would be great.

On a seperate matter...

If any Southern Geocachers are thinking that the trip up to Yorkshire is a bit far.... we have just had an enquiry from a Geocacher in Florida! icon_redface.gif

I just camped there last night in the interests of research. Here are some details:

The pub is wonderful. It does food and has a nice warm fire to sit in fron of.

It's a decent size, so there's plenty of room for everyone.

There are toilets and showers, but you have to pay the landlord a tenner deposit for the keys.

You can pay up in the morning, but tell the landlord you have arrived when you get in so you can get the keys. The price is around 2.50 per person per night.

The campsite is high up and fairly exposed to the wind, especially so if the weather is nasty like it was last night, so be prepared for it to be cold in the evening, even if the 'lowlands' are warm. Also pitch the tent well incase the wind gets up in the night.

The best way to approach the site is from the A169 Pickering to Whitby road, and take the turn off to Lockton. The road between Lockton and Lewsiham is very very steep and narrow.

If that sounds too easy and you have time on your hands, you can approach Levisham via the forest drive which runs from Stape though the woods to Levisham station and up the hill to the Horseshoe. But this is only for the adventurous as it's steep, slow, pot holed, badly surfaced and quite easy to get lost on! If you have a nice new car and intend to keep it that way avoid this route. But if not it might be an interesting start.

Remember. There are no shops, petrol staions or ATMs nearby aside from Pickering. Bring all you need before you arrive.

I'm coming from out of town, way out of town, and would like to join a team for the Cache Hunt. I'm not very familiar with the area, not at all really, but am willing and able. So if someone would like to take a chance and give me a ride, from Levisham, I'm at the very least another warm body.

i live in derbyshire .when is the cache hunt. i've just bought my own magellan gps320 after using my fathers etrex back in 2001 so i'm just getting back into caching. the cache hunt sounds good . so could someone give me some info about dates and approx location .

Hope the forecast of good weather doesn't doom us to a sudden change to crazy weather in the same way as forgetting an umbrella makes it rain ;-)

Still, I would recommend those who are camping to be prepared for the possibility of it being windy and cold, as althougth the pub is warm you will have to go back to the tent at some point.

In rather late response to the chap from Derbyshire wanting to know when it is, it will be the 18th. Ie next saturday. But you may want to arrive on the friday. Full details on the website etc.

After some thought Chris and myself have decided to introduce a special rule to make things more pleasant. One of the cache locations is a pub (the end point is as well). We will be there at arround lunch time. Any fellow cachers who decide to join us will have their time limit extended by an hour to allow people to have a pint and lunch without being afraid of lossing valuable cache hunting time. The time limits are not going to be rigourously enforced, but are there so that all teams regardless of the time they start have a fair chance. We have gone for a staggered start to avoid it being like the start of the grand prix as the roads are quite narrow. If you think you might be arriving latter than about 9:30 on saturday morning please let us know in advance so we can adjust the set off order to take this into account. My mobile is 07876032597 and should work in Levisham, but not at the start point.

Yep, we will be there too. We cannot get there till well on in the day so we will skip the cache bache (may do a couple on the way up) and see you there in the evening.

Also booked into the Moorlands. Hey Monzers, wonder if the bar is open late. Gotta get yer priorities right. icon_biggrin.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

To cache, or not to cache. That is the question !

Oh to hell with the work. icon_smile.gif

Thanks to everyone that has replied so far. To those that have not confirmed they are coming, but want to, please email or call ASAP and tell us if you are arriving friday or saturday so we organise the teams starting order. So far we have about 14 teams and nearly 30 people. We have certainly got room for more, so all you southern geocachers who might fancy some challenging caches (only joking ok?) for a change can just get in the car, head north and turn right at York.

Chris, myself and various others should be in the Horseshoe Inn from about 6 on friday after we have set the caches, so if you get there first get the beers in ;-)

It's a small pub so you should recognise us, and I believe I have met some of your already at an event cache in York. If not we'll be the party (hopefully) with an etrex and a OS map on the table. If the weather is nice there are tables outside and we may end up there.

If you haven't got a data cable please let us know when you arrive so we can give you a list of coords and you can have the unenviable task of keying them in. Hopefully before you have too many beers or you might find your waypoints drifting off into the north sea.

quote:
Originally posted by dylanhayes:

Chris, myself and various others should be in the Horseshoe Inn from about 6 on friday after we have set the caches, so if you get there first get the beers in ;-)

After planting 18 caches.... mines a pint of foot balm icon_eek.gif

Forgot to say - I'll be arriving on Saturday Morning, and I'm booked in at the Moorlands on Saturday night.

The lady (whose name temporarily escapes me) at the Moorlands says that the 'thing in Dalby Forest' is the talk of the town.

----8<--------8<---CUT-HERE---8<--------8<----

Well, for this event any number would be OK, although in reality a team is one or more persons with a car. As at this point it's about fun rather than serious competition we saw no reason to have any rules governing teams aside from the fact the team can't split up to attempt multiple caches at once, although if team members wish to stay in the car and wait for the rest of the team to dash up a hill that's fine.

BTW, I think the thing is Dalby forest has caused quite a stir locally as somebody my parents know was asking about it and they as yet don't have a GPS.

Of course if this goes well you'll all want to do it again, which is fine, as there are plenyy more places on the moors. I was actually toying with the idea for an urban version of this event. Sort of like the sherlock caches but as an event cache. Doing so around London with all the caches being relatively close to tube stations would be very interesting, although the caches might have to be virtual. I can think of some really interesting places in London to use, and I'm sure other people in the area have some ideas as well.

We might pop in later on, if only to let Tim's tyres down and maybe for a couple of pints.

What time do you think that everyone will be back to the pub?

six-ish? seven-ish?

I see the tides are favourable to do a couple of the caches on the coast, so we might do those and pop in on the way back.

Alex.

quote:
Originally posted by Kimrobin:

We might pop in later on, if only to let Tim's tyres down and maybe for a couple of pints.

Alex.

I'm happy for you to buy us a couple of pints, but not so sure about you letting the wind out of me tyres though.

icon_biggrin.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

I'm happy for you to buy us a couple of pints, but not so sure about you letting the wind out of me tyres though.

That's OK - someone living near N54:58:02 W1:29:10 will be able to reinflate them for you without drawing breath.... assuming hot air will do icon_wink.gif

Our team will be there (me, wife, daughter and dog). We will drive over on the morning and hope to arrive around 9:30ish

Looking forward to meeting everyone again, (and seeing Robin Lovel...) Opps no, Tim and June with flat tyres!!!

(Dylan I have been sending you e-mails and getting them returned, undeliverable!!)

We would not know if it has been a Goodyear for M.T. and Kimrobin but they will have to tread very carefully.

We don't want to inflate the situation by pumping up their ego's, but we don't want them robin us of our means of transport.

Will we never tyre of these silly puns, they are wheely wheely good.

would write more if we could spare the time, or have these puns gone flat.

Tim & June (Winchester)

quote:

Could nick shoes offa the horse though..

Moss de Boss... Sorta

Well I was going to leave the old nag at home but she has insisted on coming.

Tim & June (Winchester)

quote:

By the way.. just to inform you folks.. I'ts difficult to let down metal tyre of of the kind found on Tim's cart. Could nick shoes offa the horse though..

Wonder if his carts got go faster stripes.. icon_biggrin.gif

Moss de Boss... Sorta

I didn't understand this joke until I looked in the encyclopaedia. Now I see that you are referrig to a mode of transport which was around before my time.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

I didn't understand this joke until I looked in the encyclopaedia. Now I see that you are referrig to a mode of transport which was around before my time.

You're lucky - it was orignally chariot - until he translated it from the latin he thinks in icon_biggrin.gif

Once again: Thanks for coming! The weather was not as good as it could have been. But the company was excellent, and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. And I'm impressed with how well teams with who have never seen a GPS or have an 8 week old cacher can do.

I have already got the stirrings of a mad idea for a fun days' "urban cache hunt". When the plan starts to fall into place I will post the details. The event will be very different to the last one, but the idea of a competition seems to make for a good ice breaker help the social side get underway.

Don't mention the mushrooms

Well done everyone

Thanks to all the GYCH entrants for taking a day out to come and see the North Yorks countryside.

The day left us with some superb memories...

icon_biggrin.gif and it would be nice to think that this type of event will happen again in the near future.

I certainly enjoyed helping organise the event and it appeared that all the entrants seemed to think it was good fun.

I see Dylan has posted some pictures on the cache page, including one of the ellusive (or possibly non-existant) "Mushroom" cache. Also one of the Cows Heads which seemed particularly difficult for the over 12's.

Chris

My requests to upgrade some of the caches to permanent status would be ,

Troll.

Boulder Bearing as a multi cache using Holy Cow, Nuts and Say it with flowers.

Jungle.

Barnes Cliff as a multi cache.

and Blakey Topping.

Again thanks to Mr+Mrs Chuffer and Dylan for making such a BRILL Day possible. Looking forward to the Next.

Thanks for your comments.... and just how you managed to get to within 0.2 mile of the Barns Cliff Bonus cache in your car leaves me stunned with admiration!

The main problem we have with upgrading most of the caches to permanent status is that because the event was anticipated to attract a large quantity of cachers in a short period of time we felt it appropriate to get the caches authourised officialy with Forest Enterprise. During this process we advised Forest Enterprise that the caches would be removed immediately after the event. We are therefore duty bound to honour this agreement.

Chris

Dylan.

What yer recon to posting the final results of the event.

As in Name, Position, Total score an Number of caches found..

What yer recon.. an I'll keep quiet about the mushroom if you keep quiet bout me beeing beaten by a total novice without a GPS icon_biggrin.gif

Moss de Boss... Sorta

Results can be found here:

http://www.element8.co.uk/public/showpage.asp?lngtextid=16

I had to put it on a different page as the forums and the logs on geocaching have problems with pasting this much HTML and it's a real pain to reformat this from excel to something the forums can handle.

If anybody wants the data in excel I can send it to you if you email me.

Note the points displayed are slightly different to the prizes because there was a counting mess up with Tim and Erla's logbook (blame the mushroom not being counted for them) and the gremlins had an impressive total, but were not back by the time of the awards shortly after 6:00 PM and thus missed 3rd prize.

For those in a hurry the top 5 scores were:

JasonW, 60 points, 19 caches

Page28, 58 points, 17 caches

Gremlins, 56 points, 19 caches

Tim and Erla, 54 points, 18 caches

Postie, 51 points, 15 caches

[This message was edited by dylanhayes on May 21, 2002 at 03:04 PM.]

After some discussion, and dithering, the GYCH caches have been added to the geocaching site. Expect them to appear as soon as they are approved.

Why are we doing this? Well, it is by request of the majority of the teams. The additional effort of all that typing to add them all has certainly done Chuffer and myself not great favours unless we are seeking to join the century club of cache hiders.

Many of the physical caches will be archived as we actually remove them physically from the land. A select few will be upgraded and become proper caches featuring more robust containers, and better hiding places. I'm tempted to keep the virtual ones as collectively they form a very pleasant series of caches which would make a nice days caching. They are not all drive by caches either, and some involve a decent walk up onto the moors. Anybody that objects to the GYCH teams scoring so many finds can come back and do these caches.

And before anybody asks: No I didn't add mushroom, 'cause nobody could find it anyway. But, I plan to add "Son of Mushroom" so you all can take the p*ss out of me in the log book.

Don't mention the mushrooms