Jump to content

GCDroid fails to authenticate


Recommended Posts

Have been using GCDroid successfully for many years. Now it fails to authenticate returning error 500.
Noticed that it's currently not available on Google Play. Any news on this terrific application?

  • Funny 1
Link to comment

This is not an issue on the Groundspeak side. Groundspeak has finally shut off an archaic and less secure authorization method and the apps in question have not updated to the now required authorization method. Groundspeak has been advertising this change to the API partners literally years. The application providers have no excuse for not updating their applications as there has been more than ample notification.

  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Corfman Clan said:

This is not an issue on the Groundspeak side. Groundspeak has finally shut off an archaic and less secure authorization method and the apps in question have not updated to the now required authorization method. Groundspeak has been advertising this change to the API partners literally years. The application providers have no excuse for not updating their applications as there has been more than ample notification.

 

Not completely true.

 

Geooh GO was set up and doing the "required authorization method" years ago from the beginning of the API, but an incorrect parameter didn't surface until the new method went live. A technical mistake for sure, but one which Groundspeak could have prevented by reviewing server logs and informing partners of problems before go-live. I don't know about the other two apps, but don't assume application providers didn't try. Groundspeak can share some of the blame.

Edited by SpiritGuide
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
12 hours ago, SpiritGuide said:

 

Not completely true.

 

Geooh GO was set up and doing the "required authorization method" years ago from the beginning of the API, but an incorrect parameter didn't surface until the new method went live. A technical mistake for sure, but one which Groundspeak could have prevented by reviewing server logs and informing partners of problems before go-live. I don't know about the other two apps, but don't assume application providers didn't try. Groundspeak can share some of the blame.

This wasn't just turned on, it's been available for years. I know, I'm a 3rd party developer for Geocaching and implemented this a long time ago. My application has been using it since it first became available. GC HQ finally turned off the old method for authentication after well over a year of notice.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Corfman Clan said:

This wasn't just turned on, it's been available for years. I know, I'm a 3rd party developer for Geocaching and implemented this a long time ago. My application has been using it since it first became available. GC HQ finally turned off the old method for authentication after well over a year of notice.

 

You totally misunderstood.

 

Geooh also had OAuth 2.0 implemented YEARS ago since it first became available with the new API. The problem is if you had a minor parameter misspelling, there was no server error 500 all this time... the authentication server saw the error, didn't report it, and SILENTLY logged in using OAuth 1.0... so from outside appearances, how would you know that happened? Logins worked using your OAuth 2.0 implementation. How would you know that implementation was incorrect? How would you know your app wasn't ready? Only until the authentication server was prevented from falling back to OAuth 1.0 did the server 500 errors surface and digging around found the parameter problem.

 

Everyone makes mistakes. Lucky you didn't mess up your implementation because the same thing would have happened to you. Thinking you had correctly set up the authentication, but not being notified it wasn't... because logins still worked. Groundspeak is responsible too since someone there designed the transparent fallback. From the very beginning the 500 error should have been thrown when an application sent invalid OAuth 2.0 login parameters.

 

I managed developers and operations staff for too many years. If I had a server that was receiving errors, but no one looked at logs, or worse did look and said nothing... they'd be in my office for a come to Jesus meeting. You never let a server identify an error like that and just let it go like it was ok. And those errors were occurring for years!

 

I have no idea if other API partner applications fell into this same trap thinking they did implement the correct OAuth 2.0 authentication only to finally discover this past week it was flawed. So until you know the full story stop pointing fingers!

Edited by SpiritGuide
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, SpiritGuide said:

 

You totally misunderstood.

 

Geooh also had OAuth 2.0 implemented YEARS ago since it first became available with the new API. The problem is if you had a minor parameter misspelling, there was no server error 500 all this time... the authentication server saw the error, didn't report it, and SILENTLY logged in using OAuth 1.0... so from outside appearances, how would you know that happened? Logins worked using your OAuth 2.0 implementation. How would you know that implementation was incorrect? How would you know your app wasn't ready? Only until the authentication server was prevented from falling back to OAuth 1.0 did the server 500 errors surface and digging around found the parameter problem.

 

Everyone makes mistakes. Lucky you didn't mess up your implementation because the same thing would have happened to you. Thinking you had correctly set up the authentication, but not being notified it wasn't... because logins still worked. Groundspeak is responsible too since someone there designed the transparent fallback. From the very beginning the 500 error should have been thrown when an application sent invalid OAuth 2.0 login parameters.

 

I managed developers and operations staff for too many years. If I had a server that was receiving errors, but no one looked at logs, or worse did look and said nothing... they'd be in my office for a come to Jesus meeting. You never let a server identify an error like that and just let it go like it was ok. And those errors were occurring for years!

 

I have no idea if other API partner applications fell into this same trap thinking they did implement the correct OAuth 2.0 authentication only to finally discover this past week it was flawed. So until you know the full story stop pointing fingers!

So cachebox has run into the same authentication trapp.

It would be nice, if you or someone else could give a hint for what part of the oaut2 / params or steps have to be changed, so that getting the api-key will work again. I suppose all no longer running apps run into the same trap.

Link to comment

As I said, I have no idea what issues the other API apps are having. They may never have updated or could have similar implementation problems. I knew the GCDroid developer was having problems with Google and may have given up. CacheBox rarely has updates. The bottom line is no one but them know what's going on.

Link to comment
On 4/10/2024 at 8:30 AM, maccamob said:

GCDROID is still available in the Galaxy store, but that doesn't help with the current authorisation issue.

I can't find it on Galaxy Store ?

I lost my Google Play subscription token last year and can't resubscribe because they no longer sell it.

It was the best caching app for me because it allowed OS maps

Link to comment
14 hours ago, arm-chair said:

I can't find it on Galaxy Store ?

I lost my Google Play subscription token last year and can't resubscribe because they no longer sell it.

It was the best caching app for me because it allowed OS maps

 

Geooh GO has a setting to use OS tile servers.

Link to comment
14 hours ago, SpiritGuide said:

Geooh GO has a setting to use OS tile servers.

 

So does Locus Map.  Official OS maps (£££), also OSM offline maps (£ or free) with an OS-like theme.

 

The OS-like theme can be found at https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=7000.0 (link in first post) for users of Locus or other apps that use MapsForge format.  It applies a visual style to OSM data that should be familiar to fans of OS maps.  And, the OS maps themselves are available in the store within the app.  So, a choice of two different data sets, similar visually.

 

Edited by Viajero Perdido
More info
  • Helpful 1
Link to comment

Geooh GO cannot use Bing's quadkey format to address 1:50000 and 1:25000 OS map tiles. I had a series of discussions with the developer about the issue who said it required a change at the Geocaching end.

 

I'll have at look at Official OS and OSM offline maps offerings, but 'OS-like' isn't an encouraging statement.

 

I'm using Locus Maps, but apart from the cost it has too much non-geocaching functionality for me.

 

The big bonus of GCdroid is its ability to download and use OS maps and caches offline - often essential in areas with little or no internet signal.

Link to comment

Regardless of who's at fault, both GCDroid (and other "partners") and Groundspeak must rely on each other for the cachers to have an enjoyable experience. Is anybody at Groundspeak or GCDroid working to correct this problem and return the geocaching experience? It would be nice if Groundspeak took the high road and started a forum thread about the status intead of "It's not my problem." 

Link to comment
On 4/11/2024 at 8:59 PM, arm-chair said:

I can't find it on Galaxy Store ?

I lost my Google Play subscription token last year and can't resubscribe because they no longer sell it.

It was the best caching app for me because it allowed OS maps

Ah, it's gone now. ☹️

Link to comment
On 4/11/2024 at 4:59 AM, arm-chair said:

It was the best caching app for me because it allowed OS maps

 

For other reasons, I just bought/downloaded a section of Ordnance Survey maps for the first time, into the app I use.  Utterly unimpressed, far inferior to OpenStreetMap IMHO.  Less detail, and you only get blurriness when you zoom in.  I won't use it.  A total waste of a few dollars.  No better than the gov't maps from my own country, same quality.

 

Suggestion to OS fans with a dead caching app:  Check out 3rd-party (but official partner) apps that support OSM (there are a good number).  You might be pleasantly surprised.

 

Edited by Viajero Perdido
++detail;
Link to comment

Google finally accepted my submission for 'GCDroid / WheriDroid'. The replacement for 'GCDroid - Geocaching'

This app will replace both 'GCDroid' and 'GCDroid Pro Key'.

 

Any licenses will not carry over.

 

There are a few new things in it:

• new: native Wherigo Player that supports caching and playing at the same time (BETA)

• new: State lines for USA

• fix: new Groundspeak API

 

The app listing has changed and can be found here:

GCDroid / WheriDroid

 

In case of any issues, please let me know...

 

Free trial for the subscriptions is 7 days.

Link to comment

Even though I use a different app, I'm glad to see signs of life from another part of the geo-verse.  Congrats on the new version!

 

Subscription model is a necessary evil if an app is to grow and thrive, to go beyond the hobby project level.  The app I use went subscription a few years back, and I'm happy to pay for what I'm getting, which is a lot.  Out of curiosity, I just checked their About page, and count the pictures of 11 team members, plus a kid.  Likewise, Groundspeak went subscription long ago, and that's enabled them to grow into a proper business with some staying power.

 

Just the opinion of an old software developer who's been there.  :)

Link to comment
On 4/8/2024 at 10:58 PM, SpiritGuide said:

Geooh GO was set up and doing the "required authorization method" years ago from the beginning of the API,


I was using GCDroid until this problem came along and their choice to go to a subscription model has caused me to start looking at other apps.

Do you know if Geooh GO has solved this issue with their $5.99 one time purchase version of the app?

Link to comment
On 5/2/2024 at 10:56 AM, Viajero Perdido said:

Likewise, Groundspeak went subscription long ago, and that's enabled them to grow into a proper business with some staying power.

 

For a whole website I'm willing to pay annually. Not for an app - not for geocaching or anything else.

Link to comment
On 5/1/2024 at 4:47 AM, support@gcdroid.com said:

Google finally accepted my submission for 'GCDroid / WheriDroid'. The replacement for 'GCDroid - Geocaching'

This app will replace both 'GCDroid' and 'GCDroid Pro Key'.

 

Any licenses will not carry over.

 

There are a few new things in it:

• new: native Wherigo Player that supports caching and playing at the same time (BETA)

• new: State lines for USA

• fix: new Groundspeak API

 

The app listing has changed and can be found here:

GCDroid / WheriDroid

 

In case of any issues, please let me know...

 

Free trial for the subscriptions is 7 days.

I've been waiting for this to come back ever since I had to reinstall my OS and lost my licence. However  Play Store now says the app is not compatible with my device.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F running Android 11

 

Do I need to upgrade Android?

 

Link to comment
10 hours ago, arm-chair said:

I've been waiting for this to come back ever since I had to reinstall my OS and lost my licence. However  Play Store now says the app is not compatible with my device.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F running Android 11

 

Do I need to upgrade Android?

 

 

Android 11 on a Galaxy S5 sounds interesting. Is your phone rooted? GCDroid may not work on a rooted phone.

Link to comment
On 5/1/2024 at 5:47 AM, support@gcdroid.com said:

Google finally accepted my submission for 'GCDroid / WheriDroid'. The replacement for 'GCDroid - Geocaching'

This app will replace both 'GCDroid' and 'GCDroid Pro Key'.

I installed the new version, which calls itself "GCDroid V3.0.1". The free version supports Live Maps only. Well, good enough for testing.

 

However, up to now I did not see any changes, apart from the login and some minor layout changes. Everything looks like in the previous version, so I'll wait for new functions, then decide to buy, or not.

 

 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...