Can I view my friends finds?

JackandSadie

The only way I know is not on the app or Geocaching.com, but using Project-PC. Under profile and enter user name.

I think you can find their logged caches on Geocaching.com by clicking on their user name on one of their logged finds, if you do not know a logged find then no.

No, this is not possible when using the official app. As a premium member, you can go to your dashboard on the website and scroll down until you see "View friends" and click on it. Then, select the friend, whose finds you want to see. Once your on his or on her profile, go to the tab called "Geocaches". Right next to the left header you will find "All Geocache Finds". When you click on it, you will be directed to a list with all of his or her finds.

Best regards
AutoMagicGeo

22 hours ago, AutoMagicGeo said:

Once your on his or on her profile, go to the tab called "Geocaches". Right next to the left header you will find "All Geocache Finds". When you click on it, you will be directed to a list with all of his or her finds.

But only when the person was not lured to turned on that <censored> possibility in the settings to hide it.:mad:

15 minutes ago, Hynz said:

But only when the person was not lured to turned on that <censored> possibility in the settings to hide it.:mad:

That doesn't means we can't access his or her finds. If you open up Project-GC and click on "Home" in the top left corner, you can select "Search". After you scrolled down a bit, enter his or her profile name at "Profile name" and click on "Found" right next to it. Then, a Geocaching page should show, where you can see all of his or her finds.

Best regards
AutoMagicGeo

23 minutes ago, AutoMagicGeo said:

That doesn't means we can't access his or her finds. If you open up Project-GC and click on "Home" in the top left corner, you can select "Search". After you scrolled down a bit, enter his or her profile name at "Profile name" and click on "Found" right next to it. Then, a Geocaching page should show, where you can see all of his or her finds.

No, that does not work. GC-Project only links to the GC-page (which either works or not).

Try eg. with user "sucher30"

2 minutes ago, Hynz said:

Try eg. with user "sucher30"

When I type in "sucher30" and click on "Found", there is a Geocaching page opening up, which does say "Found by sucher30", but also claims "3,380,830 results". This means: Yes, it's not working - though I remember it working. But this page is somehow not really working, what did the "engineers" at HQ do here?

31 minutes ago, AutoMagicGeo said:

I remember it working

It *was* working in the past but GC decided around March 2022 to let users hide their find history and their gallery which IMNSHO contradicts the spirit of geocaching.

EDIT: BTW why are you hiding your gallery?

Edited by Hynz
25 minutes ago, HHL said:

They do respect the member's privacy settings.

This is not what I meant - at all. I do like the privacy settings and that HQ respects these. I asked, what the engineers at HQ did, because when I try to view the members finds, the page does say "Found by: sucher30", but the page also claims "3,380,830 results", which is definitly not how many geocaches he found. Once again: I do like the privacy settings, but I didn't really word it well.

44 minutes ago, Hynz said:

EDIT: BTW why are you hiding your gallery?

Thanks for pointing that out, that was probably by accident. I've set it to "Public" now, but why do you wanna see my gallery ...?

Best regards
AutoMagicGeo

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, AutoMagicGeo said:

Thanks for pointing that out, that was probably by accident. I've set it to "Public" now, but why do you wanna see my gallery ...?

For similar (but admittedly not so strong) reasons I might eventually want to see what caches anybody has found in the past and what they have to say about that caches. Eg when I read a meaningful log on a cache which I also enjoyed I like to explore what other caches that user enjoyed. And pictures in that users gallery might also be inspiring.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
On 4/4/2024 at 1:00 PM, AutoMagicGeo said:

I kinda agree.  I sorta have the feeling that if you participate in this hobby, knowing you're playing with others, everything's fair game.

But the gallery is different.

If I had small kids (or just recently divorced, had a stalker...) it seems like I should be able to keep the gallery removed from view if I wanted.   

- Anyone can join, and no one's looking at member's real life/criminal history...

We can now pretty-much keep others from seeing anything we do in this hobby.  So just asking about your gallery is a bit odd (to me) too.

• Upvote 1
On 4/5/2024 at 4:00 AM, AutoMagicGeo said:

but why do you wanna see my gallery ...?

Well not your gallery in particular, but they say a picture paints a thousand words and I'd hope my own gallery provides a good overview of my caching adventures. For me at least, caching is a community game where we hide caches for others to find and share our experiences of those caches with that community. The gallery is a part of that sharing. If someone wants to hide their gallery that's fine, but if they haven't, it doesn't mean anyone looking at it has sinister intentions.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I kinda agree.  I sorta have the feeling that if you participate in this hobby, knowing you're playing with others, everything's fair game.

But the gallery is different.

If I had small kids (or just recently divorced, had a stalker...) it seems like I should be able to keep the gallery removed from view if I wanted.   

- Anyone can join, and no one's looking at member's real life/criminal history...

We can now pretty-much keep others from seeing anything we do in this hobby.  So just asking about your gallery is a bit odd (to me) too.

Sounds like Facebook, where people post photos of their kids, and every bit of their "private" life.

I very often depend on the photos posted to decide whether or not to bother searching for a cache. I've got loads of gpx files saved that the cache is archived/gone, but want to visit that location any way. Seeing photos is a big part of geocaching for us.

People can choose wisely what photos they post to cache pages or in their galleries.  Shouldn't be a problem when the photos should relate to a cache.

--Pup Patrol

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, Pup Patrol said:

People can choose wisely what photos they post to cache pages or in their galleries.  Shouldn't be a problem when the photos should relate to a cache.

That’s why I decided to make my gallery public again, because right now, in my gallery you will find geocoins and trackables (of course without the tracking code), beautiful outlooks from cache locations, my back or my shadow for Earthcaches or Virtuals, broken cache containers and dirty logbooks. There is almost nothing interesting there - but hey, for everyone, who wants to take a look at it, here you go.

Best regards

AutoMagicGeo

• Helpful 1
48 minutes ago, AutoMagicGeo said:

That’s why I decided to make my gallery public again, because right now, in my gallery you will find geocoins and trackables (of course without the tracking code), beautiful outlooks from cache locations, my back or my shadow for Earthcaches or Virtuals, broken cache containers and dirty logbooks. There is almost nothing interesting there - but hey, for everyone, who wants to take a look at it, here you go.

Best regards

AutoMagicGeo

I took you up on the invite. I'm curious as to why on your trackables page, you posted a photo of someone else's trackable number. Clear as could be. Maybe it's just a friend of yours and they don't mind? Just curious. 

1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

I took you up on the invite. I'm curious as to why on your trackables page, you posted a photo of someone else's trackable number. Clear as could be. Maybe it's just a friend of yours and they don't mind? Just curious. 

I was as confused as you are - and I partially still am. You probably mean my trackable TB9ZJWP (Track My Bike). First: The default picture, which is also shown in the listing, is the one from wherever I bought it for all of my trackables, because these pictures look clean, have a white background and a good resolution. Second: The picture with the tracking code, you're curious about, is excactly the one the shop listed. The trackable code belongs to TB5BPGN (Cache Advance Vehicle TB) and "Cache Advance" is the shop, which sells trackables like the one I have. Take a look at their shop page, they have even more tracking codes there and I really don't know why they do that.

Best regards
AutoMagicGeo

31 minutes ago, AutoMagicGeo said:

I was as confused as you are - and I partially still am. You probably mean my trackable TB9ZJWP (Track My Bike). First: The default picture, which is also shown in the listing, is the one from wherever I bought it for all of my trackables, because these pictures look clean, have a white background and a good resolution. Second: The picture with the tracking code, you're curious about, is excactly the one the shop listed. The trackable code belongs to TB5BPGN (Cache Advance Vehicle TB) and "Cache Advance" is the shop, which sells trackables like the one I have. Take a look at their shop page, they have even more tracking codes there and I really don't know why they do that.

Best regards
AutoMagicGeo

Well that's interesting. 

On 4/5/2024 at 6:53 PM, barefootjeff said:

Well not your gallery in particular, but they say a picture paints a thousand words and I'd hope my own gallery provides a good overview of my caching adventures. For me at least, caching is a community game where we hide caches for others to find and share our experiences of those caches with that community. The gallery is a part of that sharing. If someone wants to hide their gallery that's fine, but if they haven't, it doesn't mean anyone looking at it has sinister intentions.

Oh, Jeff - Face it; your caching moniker isn't nearly as entertaining if you're not looking at your gallery.