Using a TB as a clue

NattyBooshka

Hi,

Just wondering about the possibility of using a TB as a cache clue. My idea is to put up a cache with no clues, and just the car park as it's location (cache location disclosed to approvers to make it fit the guidelines, hopefully) I will then release a TB with a goal to move around, but to stay in the UK. Once the TB is placed in a new cache I'd e-mail the clues to the cache to the cacher who moved the bug.

I don't know if this will get approval yet (still in the formulative stages of the idea) but wondered if you guys think this is a good idea or not. It's the closest I can think of to "cuckoo" clues and boxes in letterboxing.

Cheers,

Neil.

[This message was edited by NattyBooshka on September 08, 2003 at 11:48 PM.]

Why not just get one of those keyrings where you can put a photo in, then write the coords on a bit of paper and pop it in.

That way, it doesn't require maintenance from you (ie. mailing the cachers). It also allows people who find the bug, but don't want to move it to log the cache.

You could say that without logging the bug (you can post a note to log it without moving it), your log on the cache will be deleted - that stops people cheating and sharing coords without finding the bug.

That said... would you try to keep the bug moving locally to the cache? I know you said within the UK, but if I have to go to Scotland to get the bug to find a cache in Kent, then it might be a bit of a peeve. Maybe that's the fun, though!

If the travel bug went missing, I would assume you'd convert the cache to a regular? Or maybe release a new bug with the coordinates.

It certainly sounds like an interesting idea, as long as it's made perfectly clear what you're in store for on the cache page!

Another thought - why bother even putting the parking coords. You could just give coordinates to within 50 miles, or something. The parking coordinates could also travel with the bug.

Since we like getting travel bugs, we might even go for this one - sounds like a challenge icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Stu

quote:
Originally posted by Stu & Sarah:

That way, it doesn't require maintenance from you (ie. mailing the cachers). It also allows people who find the bug, but don't want to move it to log the cache.

Moving the bug would be a requirement so that it doesn't just sit in a nearby cache forever, I want to add some challenge here!

quote:
That said... would you try to keep the bug moving locally to the cache? I know you said within the UK, but if I have to go to Scotland to get the bug to find a cache in Kent, then it might be a bit of a peeve. Maybe that's the fun, though!

I'd set it out to roam freely, as long as it stayed in the UK. If it got too far away, I'd change it's mission to come back towards the cache. Also, I'm not asking for the cache to be logged on the same day as placing the bug... so if found a long distance from here it'd just be a case of keeping the clue until you were next up this way.

quote:
If the travel bug went missing, I would assume you'd convert the cache to a regular? Or maybe release a new bug with the coordinates.

It would be replaced, although I'm considering putting more than one out.

quote:
It certainly sounds like an interesting idea, as long as it's made perfectly clear what you're in store for on the cache page!

The cache page will state in big letters that the cache is not possible without first finding the bug... I wouldn't want too much abuse in the mail!

quote:
Another thought - why bother even putting the parking coords. You could just give coordinates to within 50 miles, or something. The parking coordinates could also travel with the bug.

The co-ordinates would be the car park because then it'd be an indicator as to whereabouts the cache is, so people don't drive a fair way, grab the bug, and then find out that they never go anywhere near the cache. Also, if I put in random co-ordinates it could stop a cache being placed there.

quote:
Originally posted by The Cuthberts:

Would you impose a time limit on this so that the bug was not held for silly periods of time?

No real need for a time limit as you wouldn't need to be holding the TB at the time you went to get the cache... although your question has now given me a devilish idea of using a key as a tb and putting a lock on an ammo box!

quote:
Originally posted by Adam & Lisa:

Sounds like great fun to do - can you place the cache in SE England somewhere?

Well... our options would be The Peak District, The Lake District or Hampshire in order to maintain the physical cache. Don't know if this would be close enough for you though.

Seen the example in the US... ty... we'll not be using this to limit the visitors to a physical like them though, just to up the ante challenge wise.

The only problem is that you would need to still allow a person who finds the cache by accident, access to the standard 'What is Geocaching' flyer.

Maybe a locked container, within a ammo box might be a preferable idea instead...... but, in which case, the locked container could itself be a TB..., and travel from cache to cache, in search for the key.... Both staying in approximate same area, but both able to move around.

hmmm.

I have for some time been watching the "Nutria" cache in the USA to ensure that it works OK, and I am intending to place a cache of this type in the next couple of weeks, having already identified an ideal location.

I considered the biggest problem to be the sharing of co-ordinates with other cachers who have not actualy found the TB, so have decided to use a locked cache with the key attached to the TB(the only thing left to do is to obtain/modify a container).

My cache will be located in Essex and I intend to request that the TB is moved to another cache within the same county.

I hadn't previously considered the problem of accidental finds, but I will probabaly now attach a laminated note to the exterior of the container.

I really like the idea of having to get a Travel Bug before you can find the cache - I have also been in the process of setting this up. I have a large lockable cache box already, just haven't got around to sorting the TB out.

Lets just hope that the "Key" Bugs don't get locked in each others respective boxes...... icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MaccLad:

I really like the idea of having to get a Travel Bug before you can find the cache - I have also been in the process of setting this up. I have a large lockable cache box already, just haven't got around to sorting the TB out.

Lets just hope that the "Key" Bugs don't get locked in each others respective boxes...... icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi,

That would be a shame! Look forward to seeing your cache go up, will have to bag it on one of our trips to watch our beloved Silkmen get badly beaten at the Moss Rose!

quote:
Originally posted by Warby:

.... so have decided to use a locked cache with the key attached to the TB.

A minor, yet important thing: make sure the padlock you use can't be self-locked.... otherwise you could end up with the key inside the cache, so you can't open it to get to the key :-(

BTW: it's fairly easy to modify an ammo box to use a padlock

Paul

Another proud member of the GAGB!