Does a geocache container need to be clear

The previous sentence is: "To avoid confusion or suspicion if your cache is found by a non-geocacher, follow these tips where possible."

Sometimes a transparent container is not possible.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
4 hours ago, coumpter said:

I read the geocaching guide lines and it said a geocache container needs to be clear but most of the geocaches I have found are not clear

Some land managers require clear geocache containers, including Army Corps of Engineers recreation areas.

Other land managers require only ammo cans, which obviously are not clear. 

Most land managers don't have specific requirements. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
5 hours ago, coumpter said:

I read the geocaching guide lines and it said a geocache container needs to be clear but most of the geocaches I have found are not clear

When you ask for permission (a requirement...) we like to ask the property owner what they prefer.  One only allowed bison tubes...

Our favorite containers are 50cal metal ammo cans in game lands.  They aren't "clear".   

- They seem to hold up best with our seasonal changes, and woods.

When we first put out caches, a park that wasn't completely sold on the hobby requested a "see-through" container.

- We used Tupperware and tops weren't "clear".  They were fine with 'em.  We weren't, and were a maintenance nightmare...

Later we got permission to replace those moldy science projects with 30cal ammo cans, and the park found it didn't matter.  :)

Since, some large park systems who worry a lot have asked that all containers be "clear", and lock n locks fit.

• Helpful 2
32 minutes ago, coumpter said:

Is it better to have a clear container or a not clear container

When you ask a question, please read the replies.  It seems like you're doing rapid-fire interrogations, and ignoring the answers.

But I've found that semi-transparent or clear lock-n-locks are available in a selection of sizes, and are less expensive than the opaque version.  So clear is better.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
1 hour ago, coumpter said:

It depends.

Local guidelines.

Also, in a built up area, likely to be found by non-cachers?

Clear containers help to defuse any problems of a 'terrorist threat' if the finders or police/security personnel can see in the container.

(Don't believe it? In the UK a small town centre shopping area was 'locked down' due to someone believing a small cache was possibly a bomb...)

Edited by Bear and Ragged
speeling
  • Helpful 4
14 minutes ago, Bear and Ragged said:

It depends.

Local guidelines.

Also, in a built up area, likely to be found by non-cachers?

Clear containers help to defuse any problems of a 'terrorist threat' if the finders or police/security personnel can see in the container.

(Don't believe it? In the UK a small town centre shopping area was 'locked down' due to someone beliving a small cache was possibly a bomb...)

+1

My caches that are stuck to structures and in popular spots are designed to look like "box o' fun", and less like "military camo mystery device".  To do that, it doesn't need to be "clear".  But consider the location, and if someone stumbles upon it, what their likely first impression may be.  Some of mine are designed to blend in, to be not visible at all.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
59 minutes ago, coumpter said:

There's no one-type-fits-all container, rather the choice should be based on what works best with the location and hiding place. Clear plastic containers may be fine in many situations, but they'll likely degrade quickly and turn brittle if exposed to direct sunlight. Steel containers can have rust problems if they're exposed to sea spray.

My best advice is to go out and spend more time finding caches, see which ones work well, which ones don't and which ones really appeal to you. In particular, keep an eye out for the older caches that are lasting well and take note of the style of container and its placement, also take note of the ones that have soggy tattered logs so you can avoid making those mistakes. Then when you think you're ready to create one, the first step should be identifying the location you want to bring people to, what the options are there for container placement and finally choose a container that's going to work best there. Don't start with a cache and then go looking for somewhere to put it.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
6 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

When you ask for permission (a requirement...) we like to ask the property owner what they prefer.  One only allowed bison tubes...

Our favorite containers are 50cal metal ammo cans in game lands.  They aren't "clear".   

- They seem to hold up best with our seasonal changes, and woods.

When we first put out caches, a park that wasn't completely sold on the hobby requested a "see-through" container.

- We used Tupperware and tops weren't "clear".  They were fine with 'em.  We weren't, and were a maintenance nightmare...

Later we got permission to replace those moldy science projects with 30cal ammo cans, and the park found it didn't matter.  :)

Since, some large park systems who worry a lot have asked that all containers be "clear", and lock n locks fit.

Agree my Ammo can has been in the Ohio weather since Aug 2006 and still looks great!

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2