Any rules about signs appearing on Google Earth/Maps?

Hello,

I’m currently seeking approval for a ‘mystery’ geocache which involves answering several quiz questions to get the coordinates to a sign on a gate that has a number to be used as a code to unlock a padlock on a nearby cache.

This sign is not of any notoriety and simply features a reference number for the local fire department and government.

The reviewer states: “So if I armchair the solution to get [the code] using Google Maps I don’t need to go to the gate.”

Is there any ruling that says a sign used to meet the ‘adequate GPS usage’ guidelines must not appear on Google Earth/maps or similar?

• Surprised 1
12 hours ago, ElectronicallyE said:

Is there any ruling that says a sign used to meet the ‘adequate GPS usage’ guidelines must not appear on Google Earth/maps or similar?

If there is, then it isn't enforced.... we've solved numerous using info from Google Earth....

• Upvote 2
14 hours ago, ElectronicallyE said:

The guidelines do say, "For at least part of the search, the cache must require finders to navigate with a GPS-enabled device to specific coordinates necessary to finding the cache. See this article for examples."

And the guidelines also say, "The community volunteer reviewer may offer suggestions if there are additional concerns not fully documented in these guidelines."

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, ElectronicallyE said:

Hello,

I’m currently seeking approval for a ‘mystery’ geocache which involves answering several quiz questions to get the coordinates to a sign on a gate that has a number to be used as a code to unlock a padlock on a nearby cache.

This sign is not of any notoriety and simply features a reference number for the local fire department and government.

The reviewer states: “So if I armchair the solution to get [the code] using Google Maps I don’t need to go to the gate.”

Are the co-ordinates on the page for the cache location? Thats using the GPS to get to the cache.

The sign on Google - to get the combination - does not involve use of GPS... Unless you give the co-ordinates.

Finding alternative ways to solve the clues is surely part of the puzzle?

Co-ords for the cache location - especially if they are on the cache page - IS use of GPS. No?

20 hours ago, ElectronicallyE said:

I have made a puzzle that required navigating to the starting coordinates to find out what the mystery is about and how to find the cache without using more coordinates. The reviewer didn't understand that even the player may see the thing far away, the player don't know what is the right thing before navigating to the GZ with a GPS receiver. I solved this issue by adding another stage with another set of coordinates.

In your case (being warned that your version may not be accurate) I would reply the reviewer "So what? It is intented to be an alternative way to solve the code."

There may be a problem if your cache has no coordinates at all. Please, explain, how the player can get coordinates to the final cache?

Edited by arisoft

I've often wondered how some puzzle caches keep up with advancement in technology or information. A building sign 15 years ago could show up on Google Street View today. A historic sign 10 years ago could appear in a database today. Its not necessarily a bad thing though. Someone that might not otherwise have the means to make it out to solve a puzzle, might now be able to. I know people that love to solve puzzles that they have no intention of actually finding them.

I've even done some puzzles that have used information you could only get from satellite views. 

On 2/16/2024 at 5:15 PM, ElectronicallyE said:

How do you get the coordinates for the locked container?

Edited by JL_HSTRE
Typo

What you haven't shared in this thread is that your dispute with the reviewer has since morphed to one on the rule about having a mystery cache within 3.2 km of the bogus coordinates.

I would encourage you to continue to work with your reviewer. Appealing reviewer decisions to the forums is not a means of redress.

The real discussion here needs to happen on the cache page between you and your reviewer, not in the forums between you and people who don't have access to the unpublished cache. Since that discussion with the reviewer is actually happening, there's no need to continue a discussion here.

Edited by geoawareUSA9
  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 4
  • Love 2