Stolen cache questions

I'll apologize in advance for the long story.

I did not have a Happy New Year's Day. In the morning I heard a notification on my phone. Didn't look at it. Followed a little while later by another notification. Looked at it--they were GC notices. I thought maybe someone logged Found on my caches. Turned out they were messages. The messages were worded oddly --I'm guessing a kid. First message said "we" can't find the cache but found "a baggie" on the ground. 2nd message was about another cache--spent "3 hours" looking, "looked a mile away" and other nonsensical statements. I replied that I check on my caches *frequently* and there had been no problems. Got another message about the first cache saying container missing and "baggie and logbook" were on the ground.

So I hied my butt out to my caches. (It started sprinkling rain.) First (creative) cache completely gone. I could have cried--it took me almost 40 hours to rebuild it (replacement container/camo). But sure enough, the logbook in the baggie was laying neatly on the ground. I'm so so grateful because it's the original logbook from around 2007 and cachers have enjoyed looking back through it. (Also was a proxy TB in it). Off to the next cache. Much to my relief the cache was there, "they" just couldn't find it.

But here's where it gets interesting. I searched around on the off chance my other cache was dumped here. I saw something bright green sticking out of a fallen tree. Turns out it was the main baggie (labeled "swag") and all the smaller baggies that HAD contained swag from the stolen cache that had been stuffed into a small tree hole. So the thief had taken all the swag from the missing cache and tried to hide the baggies at the second cache. I double checked on the swag in the cache placed there and it was untouched so apparently "they" truly couldn't find it (or I'm sure that would be gone too). This person did NOT log a DNF on 2nd cache (despite their "3 hr" search); DID log a DNF on the stolen cache where logbook was on the ground.

SO. I'm 99.999% sure the person who contacted me is actually the thief of my stolen cache:

--I think the messages were intended to make me think that my cache was already missing when they looked.

-- It's been raining off and on lately but logbook and inside of baggie was completely dry

-- There was no detritus/leaf litter on the baggie, pristine condition on the ground

-- Discarded baggies also were completely dry on the inside and barely damp on outside (due to sprinkling rain)

-- Upon investigation, cacher has a "gifted" basic membership (1-22), last on GC.com 7-22, 1 find

-- Didn't answer question I asked about how many finds they had.

-- I think "they" found/stole first cache then went to second and emptied stolen swag there. Tried to get me to tell them where other cache was. Both had containers with swag. Don't think an adult would be interested in stealing swag.

I have temporarily disabled all my caches that are small-reg containers with swag. Left 2 harder micros.

1) Is there any way to conceal cache coordinates on a disabled cache? Anyone can still hunt for my caches.

2) Is it possible to block a specific cacher from seeing your cache and coords?

3) Is it possible to get someone kicked off of GC.com for theft?

4) What is the minimum age someone can have an account? Pretty sure from their messages it's a kid.

I feel my caches are completely vulnerable to this person and some of my long-term "special" containers might be desirable to a kid. If they all get stolen I think it would just break me. I've put so much time and effort into all my caches and placements, new and old. This isn't just a stolen cache--pretty sure who the thief is which is even worse.

Thanks if anyone has any help to preventing this person from doing it again. 

• Funny 2
8 minutes ago, PlantAKiss said:

1) Is there any way to conceal cache coordinates on a disabled cache?

No.

Again, no.

I've heard of members being blocked/banned, but it requires evidence, not just suspicion.

4) What is the minimum age someone can have an account? Pretty sure from their messages it's a kid.

According to the terms of use, "individuals under 16 are welcome to use our services, their parents or guardians must own and manage their accounts." But the terms of use are violated rather frequently...

• Upvote 2

You could make them premium caches. Basic members wouldn't see the coordinates, but they could still get the posted coordinates (a little time involved).

In my experience make your hides a multi, puzzle, letterbox or reverse Wherigo. You get less newbie cachers. 

You can't control what any muggle or cacher thief will do.

Good luck.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 2
34 minutes ago, PlantAKiss said:

Didn't answer question I asked about how many finds they had.

I'm confused as to why you would ask them when it's just listed on their profile. One.

34 minutes ago, PlantAKiss said:

Upon investigation, cacher has a "gifted" basic membership (1-22), last on GC.com 7-22, 1 find

Maybe a misunderstanding what you're saying,  but the Gift Membership is an option for you to give them a premium membership?? Not that someone gifted them a membership.

I'm really sorry this happened to you. It's frustrating for sure!

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1

I'm really sorry to hear this story. I know the feeling of frustration and helplessness when someone vandalizes your cache. It must be even worse because you spent so much time building a custom container. 

15 minutes ago, SW00P said:

You could make them premium caches. Basic members wouldn't see the coordinates, but they could still get the posted coordinates (a little time involved).

This seems like the best way to protect your caches from this particular person. They will likely not know how to get around it. (I didn't know you could get premium cache coords as a basic member.)

• Funny 1
  • Love 1

Max and 99... When I first read the messages I was not questioning if this person had stolen my cache so I had not checked their profile. Only reason I asked was 1) Second cache is not hard and doesn't require "3 hrs" and a mile of searching 2) strange wording in messages. So I was wondering about their experience level. So I asked. It wasn't until I physically got to my caches hours later and realized that LIKELY that person was the thief. LATER I looked up the profile and saw 1find.

I have no idea why profile says "gifted" and basic. I can only guess they were gifted a premium and did not renew since they weren't using it. Obviously this person is not "into geocaching."

"I'm really sorry to hear this story. I know the feeling of frustration and helplessness when someone vandalizes your cache. It must be even worse because you spent so much time building a custom container." Thank you! 

Im heartsick. This cache (and others) have been down for 15+ years. Relocated because of habitat destruction and rebuilt to its original glory. So many nice logs.

image.thumb.jpeg.0358935d78e6d48afe6ce5f1ef6fd030.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, PlantAKiss said:

I have no idea why profile says "gifted" and basic. I can only guess they were gifted a premium and did not renew since they weren't using it. Obviously this person is not "into geocaching."

I think it was about 2 weeks ago someone told me it was their 18th time looking for my cache. I have no doubt the 3 hours they looked for your geocache was just an exaggeration.

The "gift membership" I believe means YOU can gift them a membership, not that someone already did. 

Screenshot_20240101-214709.png.19bc5830cca086b00d02bd79d0454321.png

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 minute ago, PlantAKiss said:

Ahh I see. Thank you.  Still think it's a kid and even if not, they stole my cache. I have no doubt. Even in a court of law you do not have to have photos or videos to prove a crime. "Circumstantial evidence IS evidence."

From the photo I saw it looks like a kid's arm! 

Leave it disabled for awhile to ensure the thief is bored.

You're lucky if you had a geocache out since 2007 without having it get damaged or stolen, especially a custom container. 

Searching for 3 hours? Probably an exaggeration. If not, someone needs to learn when to give up. Nobody in their right mind should spend that long searching for one geocache container. (I don't mean long multis; I mean the actual search at GZ.)

• Surprised 1
1 hour ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Nobody in their right mind should spend that long searching for one geocache container.

I resemble that remark. I enjoy difficult "hidden in plain sight" camouflage caches. My record so far is 6 DNFs before finding it on the 7th visit. Each visit represented 45-60 minutes, well over 3 hours total.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, PlantAKiss said:

SO. I'm 99.999% sure the person who contacted me is actually the thief of my stolen cache:

Both had containers with swag. Don't think an adult would be interested in stealing swag.

I have temporarily disabled all my caches that are small-reg containers with swag. Left 2 harder micros.

1) Is there any way to conceal cache coordinates on a disabled cache? Anyone can still hunt for my caches.

Don't know how many times that 99.999% has been wrong.  We were even a "99.999%" ourselves once...

New, we had DNFs going to and others DNF caches after we found 'em.  Eventually most cachers thought "that Cerberus bunch were thieves..." 

Talking about us at events, the other 2/3rds wasn't the happiest camper. Eventually I'm the one that caught the guy and passed info to others. 

To date, not one cacher that had caches missing ever apologized...

1 -  Nope.  Unless you think spending 30+ bucks for PM make anyone more responsible/trustworthy...

2 -  Nope.  PM might block some basic members, but a simple email to HQ gets you a free one-week PM (if never had a PM earlier)

- If I had a free PM, I'd be sure to list every PM in the area, so when my temp PM runs out, I can still find them...  

3 -  Unless you have a pic of them stealing your cache, you  don't  know  for  sure.

4 - "Because of the nature of our services, which require a cellular data plan or GPS device and the ability to travel to various locations, our services are not directed toward anyone under the age of 16"    -  Geocaching HQ  Apr. '23

If possible, move your special caches a short distance.  And re-hide more deviously, if possible.  Increase the Difficulty rating if necessary.  That should remove them from search results for Basic Members using the app, I think.

Then definitely make them Premium Member Only.

So sad to hear that creative caches are being stolen.  At least I can now understand why people hide micros.

Good luck, and don't lose hope.  Keep coming up with those creative caches!

--Pup Patrol

Edited by Pup Patrol
  • Upvote 1

I don’t have anything to add about stolen caches, but I want to compliment the OP on the cache in the picture.  I would have hated to lose it, but I would have wanted to find it to add to my list of caches that have been found with Captain Aura Raines from Clarian, a friend to geocachers all.  I would be impressed if Aura appeared and tracked down the container. . .  But it’s hard for a superhero to help if she is fictional.

• Upvote 1
On 1/2/2024 at 2:44 PM, The_Jumping_Pig said:

You might want to inform them that knowingly stealing a geocache is a crime. (Not one that the police will care about unfortunately, but it is one) Assuming they are kids, that might scare them away.

Good idea. You could say something like "I'm sorry you couldn't find the cache. I believe someone deliberately stole it. Stealing geocaches is a crime and the police will find the cache soon"

Maybe the container would magically reappear.

You could also warn them that under 16s must have an adult managing their account. 

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
9 hours ago, nachtmusik said:

Good idea. You could say something like "I'm sorry you couldn't find the cache. I believe someone deliberately stole it. Stealing geocaches is a crime and the police will find the cache soon"

Maybe the container would magically reappear.

You could also warn them that under 16s must have an adult managing their account. 

"You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a television. You wouldn't steal my geocache. Taking my geocache home with you is STEALING. STEALING. IS. A. CRIME". *lights and sirens flash* *cool guitar riffs play*

• Funny 2