UK record for caches in one day

Brad***

The most we have found in one day is 9 I think. We were just visiting an area for the day so made the most of our visit. I have heard of people doing far more. But for us it is the journey as well as the destination and like to enjoy each cache we do. By the way why have you pulled all your caches in the Epping Forest? I used to go there with my parents as a kid! When I lived in Chelmsford Essex. I hope to do a few Essex caches when I next come over!!

In terms of a lone cacher rather than a team can anyone (in the UK) beat my 20 in a day on 1st August?! icon_biggrin.gif

And in the North of England as well!

Seasider

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another Direction!

[This message was edited by Seasider on September 03, 2003 at 03:23 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Ali & Rel:

..... So congrats to anyone who does more than 10 in a day, your bloomin' mad icon_wink.gif

Well thanx very much :-)

I've done 12 in a day :-)

but I have an advantage in that I use a motorbike.......you'd be surprised the sorts of tracks you get down on it icon_biggrin.gif

WoodSmoke

Logo5.gif GeocacheUK - very useful resources for the UK Geocaching community

Not to belittle 2C's effort but what about the quality of the experience.

Earlier this year I had a caching trip to California and one one particular day managed around 20-25 caches (I can't remember exactly how many). Although I suppose it was nice to get a big number the actual quality of the caches left a lot to be desired in terms of originality of hiding place and 'thrill of the chase'.

Mostly I aim for 6-10 caches in a day trip and reckon an average cache takes between 30-60 minutes including travelling time between them. This allows for a pleasant walk and 10-15 minutes for the actual hunt before decrypting the clue.

Where's the fun in rushing round all day spending at most 15 minutes on each one (and that includes getting there)? If a team is caching together I guess the 'hunt' part of the cache can be minimised with several people all looking together. Even if that is brought down to zero it must surely take the same time driving (or running?) between caches, walking (running?) to the actual cache location and back, filling in the logbook etc. I suggest 2C's 'record' is taken with a pinch of salt given that the total distance between their finds was 715 miles so that assuming the were 'at it' for the full 24 hours they kept up an average speed of nearly 30MPH!! I sure as hell can't cache that quickly icon_smile.gif

Although I enjoy seeing the numbers mount, to me the real fun is enjoying the scenery, the challenge set by the placer and, yes, even getting a bit of excercise icon_wink.gif

Enthusiastic user of GeocacheUK

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hornet:

Earlier this year I had a caching trip to California and one one particular day managed around 20-25 caches (I can't remember exactly how many). Although I suppose it was nice to get a big number the actual quality of the caches left a lot to be desired in terms of originality of hiding place and '_thrill of the chase_'.

Have to agree with Hornet on that one. We have done a couple of 20's in the US and one in the UK and there is no comparison. I have to say though that the quality of the caches in Central Texas is way higher than in southern Califoria. They have some fantastic caches in Austin and I picked up a couple of good ideas from caches over there. They tend to be very devious in their cache placements, which can take some time to get used to.

But as a general rule, quality beats quantity ever time.

Alex.

------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

Quality of caches is definatly deminished on a mega cache.

I did 20+ in and around hampshire (This year I think). This wasn't too bad as the caches were close together, but I have decided that that many in a day takes away some of the appreciation of what the cache setter was trying to show you whilst placing it, in that area.

I personally am getting into multi caching which takes more time and effort and ultimatly makes searching for the cache worthwhile. If of course the cache still there!

Next one on my list is Juke box.

Onwards and upwards. Never retreat, never surrender.

Trying out my remote internet connection for the first time so it should be interesting to see if this arrives! icon_smile.gif (EDIT - Yes, it has worked! icon_biggrin.gif)

The world of sport & pastimes revolves around statistics & records and it would be wrong to assert that geocaching should be any different. Indeed we have a plethora of stats relating to the activity on the net - people are interested and there is nothing wrong with that.

It would also be wrong to state, for example, that the fell runners who race around the three peaks enjoy their experience less than the hill walkers who sit on top and linger.

Caching is the same - people do it for different reasons.

I've been lucky this year whilst being able to afford to take the spring & summer off from my consultancy activities ( yes, Postie, I will go back eventually!!) to have stumbled across geocaching. It fufills my needs to see different places, get fit and have a treasure hunt at the same time. But I'm not and have never been the kind of guy to sit and linger.

Everyone enjoys life at their own pace.

Clearly no-one is going to do 20 caches every trip. In my case I average just over 6 a trip but occasionally enjoy (note the word - others may not but I do) a marathon session and yes my competitive spirit means that given the opportunity I'd like to set a record. Just like Ruud Van Nistelrooy will want to set a goalscoring record in the Premiership this season! icon_wink.gif

Rudyard Kipling was wrong as far as I am concerned!

So the answer to the perfectly valid question appears to be:-

Team - 2C's with 36

Lone - Sparticus with 23

... and when I finally get down to the South will I try to beat Sparticus? - of course I will!

Seasider

quote:
Originally posted by Seasider:

So the answer to the perfectly valid question appears to be:-

Team - 2C's with 36

Lone - Sparticus with 23

... and when I finally get down to the South will I try to beat Sparticus? - of course I will!

Well, I think you're limiting yourslef here mate... got for the overall record! I think it would be possible around Hampshire with a little careful planning!

I think the most I have done in one day is five. Why do more? I'm already running out of caches within a reasonable distance, and to blitz them all in a day gives me nowhere to go next time.

As for 2C's so called record, 36 found in their only days caching? Joined 8th July, one trip on 12th July, travelling over 700 miles, last visit to this site 17th July. Doesn't quite ring true somehow.

quote:
Originally posted by naffita:

As for 2C's so called record, 36 found in their only days caching? Joined 8th July, one trip on 12th July, travelling over 700 miles, last visit to this site 17th July. Doesn't quite ring true somehow.

All I can add to that is after their days caching I have found some of the caches they found, and there are logs in the logbooks.

WoodSmoke

Logo5.gif GeocacheUK - very useful resources for the UK Geocaching community

I didn't realise I had a record. WOW

This wasn't meant to be a race for me, just a short space of time to visit the hampshire caches and to get a T&J bear (Now a prized possesion for me up north).

Seasider, you are welcome to the record. I don't intend on doing that many in a day again. I was knackered, and toward the end it became a bit of a slog and not quite as enjoyable as the start of the day.

I will keep on caching, and finding many interesting places, but have learnt over time that quality overules quantity every time. (Well, thats what the wife says anyway!)

[This message was edited by Sparticus on September 05, 2003 at 10:41 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by makerofthingsup:

I was fairly chuffed finding 5 in one day, I guess I could get up earlyer, travel faster and further and go to bed late.

I think buying a helicopter may assist in total number of caches found. That way you could sleep longer, and go to bed earlier. I need my sleep you know, I'm not getting any younger.

Quality and quantity are not mutually exclusive.

Have a look at the caches I did last Wednesday - 11 in a day which included amongst others:

3 good and varied multis

an ostrich farm

a couple of reservoirs

a surreal sunset at Electric Avenue

and it all finished with me fumbling around bushes with a torch in one hand and a burger in the other looking for Slytherin's bug hotel to deposit the day's finds!

All on a glorious summer's day - perfect! icon_smile.gif

The Isle of Wight is certainly a good challenge. icon_biggrin.gif It will be next year though before I try it as my first southern tour will be based from a friend's house in London so Bucks looks more likely.

Tally ho!

Seasider