2024 Souvenirs

Max and 99

From today's blog post:

2024 Souvenirs

With 2023 quickly coming to an end, it’s time to start making plans for 2024. This means setting geocaching goals, picking out caches for future weekend outings, and, of course, marking all of the geocaching souvenirs in our 2024 calendars!

Here are the confirmed souvenir moments for 2024:

• Greetings 2024: January 1–8
  • 2024 hider: January 1–December 31
  • Leap Day 2024: February 29
  • Cache In Trash Out®, Season 1: March 1–May 31
  • Blue Switch Day: May 3
  • June Solstice: June 19–21
  • International Geocaching Day: August 19
  • Cache In Trash Out®, Season 2: September 1–November 30
  • World Postcard Day: October 1
  • International EarthCache Day: October 12–13
  • December Solstice: December 20–22
  • Farewell 2024: December 24–31

What souvenirs and geocaching moments are you most excited for in 2024?

Edited by Max and 99
2 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

World Postcard Day? Are postcards even still a thing? I'm struggling to see how this relates to geocaching, except, um, LBHs maybe?

Very hard to find in some countries. Not common as they were once. I travelled to a few countries this year and was looking for postcards to send to some children, and they weren't always easy to find.

6 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

From the blog post:

Leap Day 2024 Souvenir

Find 4 geocaches to earn.

What geocaches count for the souvenir?

Traditional Caches

Multi-Caches

Virtual Caches

Letterbox Hybrids

All Event Caches

Mystery Caches

Webcam Caches

EarthCaches

Wherigo Caches

Adventure Lab® Locations

Find four caches on a Thursday?!?  That's gotta be tough for people who work!  I've found most of my local caches.  I'm going to have to work hard to plan this...

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Find four caches on a Thursday?!?  That's gotta be tough for people who work!  I've found most of my local caches.  I'm going to have to work hard to plan this...

Some AL 4 could take 5 minutes. 

Start saving the easy AL for time constrained finds.  I already save the nearby ECs for the yearly souvenir.

Edited by MNTA
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 2

Tomorrow when my newest cache is published, I'll get the 2024 Hider souvenir.  October 1 is my birthday so I'll have to do an Adventure Lab to get my "postcard".

April 8 is "eclipse day" for my calendar. I will find a geocache in Ohio during the eclipse after attending MOGA.  Yes, I did find a geocache in the path of totality in Oregon in August 2017.

On 12/12/2023 at 5:53 PM, Max and 99 said:

2024 hider: January 1–December 31

Unluckily just for me, the dates named here are the Publish dates as it was announced and also used in 2023 for the 2023 hider souvenir! I have no problem with publishing another cache or Event in 2024 to get this souvenir, but as I own(ed) an event happening / 'placed' on 2024/01/12 I thought I get the hider souvenir early this year!

Then I remembered: "Ah... Publish-Date!"

I still don't get the point why it is the 'publish-date', because for any other statistic in the game it is the 'placed-date', but okay that are the rules under which you get these souvenir!

But as I on the other hand am still thinking it should be more a 'Hider' Souvenir than an 'Organizer' souvenir, it is therefore okay with me, because you find a physical cache on its publish-date and not on the placed date!

This is just an info/reminder for those who are irritated by this fact by themselves....

Posted (edited)

From today's blog post:

March equinox

Geocaching HQ created a souvenir for geocachers to celebrate the March equinox. To earn this souvenir, geocachers must find a total of 3 geocaches, Event Caches, and/or Adventure Lab® Locations between March 17–23, 2024. We chose three caches for the third month of the year!

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
Posted (edited)

From the Blog:

New Souvenir Blue Switch Day

We often underestimate our reliance on GPS (Global Positioning System), yet, over the course of 24 years, it has fundamentally reshaped our lives and the world we inhabit.

Imagine how different our daily routines would be without GPS technology. Among many other things, paper maps would be necessary to navigate from point A to point B and turn-by-turn delivery tracking would be impossible. Notably, geocaching would never have come into existence.

This transformation traces back to a pivotal moment on May 2, 2000—dubbed Blue Switch Day by geocachers. Before May 2000, Selective Availability restricted GPS technology to military use. However, on Blue Switch Day, the U.S. government made a landmark decision which opened up GPS for public use. Geocachers commemorate this day as a milestone, marking it with pride and celebration.

The advent of precise GPS technology brought a new era of possibilities, fostering innovation and exploration worldwide. It’s no coincidence that the very next day, on May 3, 2000, the first geocache was hidden, giving birth to the game of geocaching.

Geocaching HQ created a souvenir for geocachers to celebrate Blue Switch Day 2024. To earn this souvenir, geocachers must find one geocache, Event Cache, or Adventure Lab® Location between May 2–5, 2024.

How will you celebrate Blue Switch Day this year?

Edited by Max and 99
  • Funny 1