Metaverse & AR Caches

I am the proud owner of an AR Cache that I recently received a "Needs Owner Attention" log on. I planned to check on it tomorrow and when I found the QR code I created with Metaverse, I tried to read it using my iPhone. My camera was directed to Metaverse and when I tried to read the QR code with that app, I received a message saying "Invalid code." I tried another AR cache that I have found in the area and got the same message. When I checked for updates to the app, it doesn't look as if there has been one for at least 4 years. Does anyone know if it's still in business? Thanks! 

19 minutes ago, LaFavorite Cacher said:

I am the proud owner of an AR Cache that I recently received a "Needs Owner Attention" log on. I planned to check on it tomorrow and when I found the QR code I created with Metaverse, I tried to read it using my iPhone. My camera was directed to Metaverse and when I tried to read the QR code with that app, I received a message saying "Invalid code." I tried another AR cache that I have found in the area and got the same message. When I checked for updates to the app, it doesn't look as if there has been one for at least 4 years. Does anyone know if it's still in business? Thanks! 

I don't know about iOS but it hasn't worked for Android for quite some time. It's gone.

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/391797-metaverse-on-android/

Edited by Max and 99
On 12/11/2023 at 4:09 PM, Sherminator18 said:

I got a message about my AR cache a few days ago too. It wasn’t working on this persons android phone and I tried it with my iPhone and had the same issue 

So, do we archive our AR caches or do we make them into more of a multi (provide a QR code that gives the final coords)? I hate to archive it since AR caches are so rare. 

23 hours ago, LaFavorite Cacher said:

So, do we archive our AR caches or do we make them into more of a multi (provide a QR code that gives the final coords)? I hate to archive it since AR caches are so rare. 

If it was its own cache type I would've been the same, but ultimately it's just a mystery/unknown. The AR part was the whole purpose, once that wasn't realistically achievable I binned it. Mine wasnt easily turned into a multi though, if I had put alternate methods in to solve I may as well just have published it as a new cache. Thats just my 2c though.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

I miss it. I do like the idea. But I think there are web-based standards being developed for this kind of tech that doesn't require a 3rd party app.

Mine had a stop at a nearby movie theater where you'd point the phone at the marquee, which you would see 'through the special lens' as it were, to see what was playing in this parallel universe. I made a visual marker of the marquee frame that was sufficient to be recognized, then it overlaid a replacement graphic with different movie lettering.  It was pretty sweet.

When that comes to web tech, I'm sure I'll be using it a whole lot more often :)

• Love 1

Seeing how Metaverse from gometa.com is on life support, I went ahead and built my own web based AR hosting solution. It is still a work in progress.

Originally I used HPReveal, but as we all know, that died pretty quickly. I was then able to move all my AR experiences to Metaverse. And now I was able to move all of my AR experiences to my web based AR server solution. So far with my testing, everything works exactly the same as Metaverse.

Since this is a work in progress, I am offering any of you that still have living AR caches , and do not want to archive them, I am offering to work with you on keeping your AR caches alive by moving your AR experiences to my server if you have not found another solution. The good thing about my server is that it works exactly like Metaverse did by having a user scan a QR code with their device's camera (just like scanning a QR code for the digital menu at a restaurant), therefore your cache would sill qualify as an AR cache.

By working with you, I can see how others have implemented the use of Metaverse, and be able to add additional functions to my project.

The functions I have right now are (Q&A, Play Everywhere), (Q&A, Play GPS Location), (Direct Text, Play Everywhere), and (Direct Text, Play GPS Location). I would love to add more functions in the future.

Just contact me via my Geocaching talk2azs profile. I will work with you on a first come, first serve basis.

Well all,

It has been a fun run while it lasted. I did try to revive AR caches by creating an AR server of my own. Unfortunately, GC HQ did not approve the use of my AR Web App services. I can completely respect their decision. While it is sad that the GC community has lost what has become a great upgrade in creating experiences for the game, there will be more opportunities for new experiences in the future.

I had a GREAT time working with the many of you from around the world in re-creating your AR experiences. I have gotten to virtually experience many of your creative methods of implementing AR to caches. With your help, I have been able to add many more features to my personal Location Based Game WEB app server. Thank you all for letting into your creative worlds.

TALK2AZS

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Unfortunate for the web-based AR implementation, as that doesn't require any downloads. But it may just be the compatibility and accessibility isn't quite there yet.

It may also have to do with making use of GPS in the web app, similar to the question of 'mob' caches making use of gps safely and privately.

Who knows. But I definitely hope that HQ will in time allow web-based AR functionality. That's the way mobile devices are going, really :omnomnom:

• Helpful 1
45 minutes ago, talk2azs said:

Well all,

It has been a fun run while it lasted. I did try to revive AR caches by creating an AR server of my own. Unfortunately, GC HQ did not approve the use of my AR Web App services. I can completely respect their decision. While it is sad that the GC community has lost what has become a great upgrade in creating experiences for the game, there will be more opportunities for new experiences in the future.

I had a GREAT time working with the many of you from around the world in re-creating your AR experiences. I have gotten to virtually experience many of your creative methods of implementing AR to caches. With your help, I have been able to add many more features to my personal Location Based Game WEB app server. Thank you all for letting into your creative worlds.

TALK2AZS

We sure appreciated all the work you put in towards a fix. 

• Love 1