Log Premium cache found with Premium Member

Visyl

Hello,

Yesterday I was logging my son caches that he found with me during our holidays. I'm a premium member my son is not.

I realised that we can't log premium caches anymore with the new logging page. When we use the log adress https://www.geocaching.com/live/geocache/GCxxxxx/log it returns an ERROR 500.

If we try to use the old adress https://www.geocaching.com/play/geocache/GCxxxxx/log it returns on the live adress and the ERROR 500.

We're not allowed to log premium caches for our kids or partenairs anymore ? They do find these caches.

Thanks for any help or answers.

• Upvote 5
  • Surprised 1

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought only Premium Caches showed only to Premium Members. But once the cache located and the physical log is signed (which any finder can sign) it can be logged as found on Geoicaching.com under that appropriate cache.

After writing that I realized if the cache does not show up to a non-Premium Member they would have no way to log it online. I guess maybe on your log as Premium Member include the other cacher's user name in the narrrative - won"t  help his stats but the history of finding is there.

I am sure there will be  better responses.

• Funny 1
4 hours ago, Keystone said:

All that I know is that Geocaching HQ is aware of this, and characterized it as a "bug."  I thought that the community would appreciate hearing that the change was not intentional.

Thanks, I do appreciate knowing it's not something intentional.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
8 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought only Premium Caches showed only to Premium Members. But once the cache located and the physical log is signed (which any finder can sign) it can be logged as found on Geoicaching.com under that appropriate cache.

After writing that I realized if the cache does not show up to a non-Premium Member they would have no way to log it online. I guess maybe on your log as Premium Member include the other cacher's user name in the narrrative - won"t  help his stats but the history of finding is there.

I am sure there will be  better responses.

As said in the topic, the caches are found with me, a premium member.

There is no need to open the Premium cache to log it with a Basic account. As also explain, we used to log premium caches without any problem just using the correct adress.

I don't understand how your respond have anything to do with the question asked.

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2
On 12/2/2023 at 2:55 PM, Jayeffel said:

So far this is correct. However, it was previously possible for basic members to log a cache online (which is consistent, because they also have signed the physical logbook already). All you had to do was know the URL (or to construct it manually, or use some of several tools to help you with).

With the new logging page, this method is now technically blocked. That's the main point.

I'm glad that this is really considered a bug -- and that it is not a planned activity to further restrict basic member usage.

Having said this: Since this is several days now, is there an update on when the bug will be fixed? @Keystone -- Thanks!

Edited by MZCacheHunter
  • Helpful 2

Once again, I've shared all the information I know.  HQ said on Friday they were aware of the bug.  I doubt people worked over the weekend to fix it.

Future updates will need to come from HQ staff and you'd most likely see them either in the current Release Notes thread about the new logging flow, or in this thread in the Geocaching.com Website bug reporting and feature suggestion forum.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 5

The same problem occurs if you (basic member) want to do owner maintenance for your own cache which is only for premium members (the cache was made in times you were premium member). My son made many caches only for premium members. Now he is basic member and could not do a maintenance log because the new log site wouldn't be shown. We hope the reviewer will accept that this bug is the reason for not beeing able to activate the cache within 30 days which means he will archieve it.

We hope the bug will be removed asap.

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 3
On 12/8/2023 at 7:02 PM, GeoTrekker26 said:

How did you log your other 9100+ finds?

There are websites that will direct you to the logging page for a cache, which works for Premium and Basic members. Basic members can also update the logging page for a non-premium cache by changing the GC-code in the URL. These methods don't work as of December 1st (or maybe November 30th), as the URL now returns a 500 error for Basic members.

• Surprised 1
On 12/8/2023 at 10:02 PM, GeoTrekker26 said:

How did you log your other 9100+ finds?

My wife is premium, I log in with her account, open the caches in the browser under her name, switch to my accoubt on an additional cache. If I then ckick "log cache", the log premium log page opens in my name and I can log. If I refresh, I get kicked out.

• Helpful 1
On 12/16/2023 at 12:37 AM, flosse66 said:

My wife is premium, I log in with her account, open the caches in the browser under her name, switch to my accoubt on an additional cache. If I then ckick "log cache", the log premium log page opens in my name and I can log. If I refresh, I get kicked out.

You might want to use a feature like Firefox containers - use a different container for different users. That way cookies are not mixed between sessions.

What you are likely doing is logging everything in your name, if that is a single browser session.