Logging Trackables

bd's

I was intrigued by the OP and did some testing. Here is what I found using the new logging flow on the site: (Win10, Chrome)

If a TB is set as collectable AND is in a collection the options are, Write Note, and Discovered it. Which, (I think) is correct.

If a TB is set as collectable AND it is NOT in a collection the options are, Write Note, Grab it, and Discovered it. Which, (I think) is correct. Example: https://coord.info/TB7V68Q

If a TB is set as NOT collectable, AND is in the hands of another player, the options are, Write Note, and Discovered it. Which, (I think) is NOT correct. You should be able to also Grab it. Example: https://coord.info/TB61D94

If a TB collectable preference is not set, AND is in the hands of another playler, the options are, Write Note, and Discovered it. Which, (I think) is NOT correct. You should be able to also Grab it. Example: https://coord.info/TBA05C6

If a TB is set as NOT collectable, AND is in a cache, the options are, Write Note, Retrieve from cache, and Discovered it. Which, (I think) is  correct. 

If a TB collectable preference is not set, AND is in a cache, the options are, Write Note, Retrieve from cache and Discovered it. Which, (I think) is correct. 

The above was tested using Win10 and the Chrome browser.

When using the app everything works as expected, with all the correct logging options available, so if you're having trouble logging a TB using a browser and the site try using an app as a workaround until this can be fixed. 

Edited by MtnGoat50
adding more examples
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, MtnGoat50 said:

I was intrigued by the OP and did some testing. Here is what I found using the new logging flow on the site: (Win10, Chrome)

If a TB is set as collectable AND is in a collection the options are, Write Note, and Discovered it. Which, (I think) is correct.

If a TB is set as collectable AND it is NOT in a collection the options are, Write Note, Grab it, and Discovered it. Which, (I think) is correct. Example: https://coord.info/TB7V68Q

If a TB is set as NOT collectable, AND is in the hands of another player, the options are, Write Note, and Discovered it. Which, (I think) is NOT correct. You should be able to also Grab it. Example: https://coord.info/TB61D94

If a TB collectable preference is not set, AND is in the hands of another playler, the options are, Write Note, and Discovered it. Which, (I think) is NOT correct. You should be able to also Grab it. Example: https://coord.info/TBA05C6

If a TB is set as NOT collectable, AND is in a cache, the options are, Write Note, Retrieve from cache, and Discovered it. Which, (I think) is  correct. 

If a TB collectable preference is not set, AND is in a cache, the options are, Write Note, Retrieve from cache and Discovered it. Which, (I think) is correct. 

The above was tested using Win10 and the Chrome browser.

When using the app everything works as expected, with all the correct logging options available, so if you're having trouble logging a TB using a browser and the site try using an app as a workaround until this can be fixed. 

You are correct.  "Grab" should be available in any case unless the Trackable is in a Collection or locked.  I thought that the Grab option might have been moved to another section for some reason, but I sure can't find it. The Help Center info on how to make a Grab log remains unchanged.

I tested this just now, and I'm seeing the same bug.  However, in The Official App, I see the Grab option still exists.  So the App should be a workaround.

This effect appears in Brave on Android, in case it's a browser issue, which would be weird.  I haven't tried it in other browsers.

This was a quick test of the Grab log, so I didn't check if the Retrieve log option is OK.

Edited by kunarion
12 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Maybe its been fixed, as I can see a retrieve option.

i cant .. Safari browser .. actually its a bit complicated

I was just about to grab it, but it was grabbed by a friend (instead of discovered), she was a few seconds faster and I got error.. so I reloaded the page and now I can only see "post a note" or "discover" but cant grab it

I think the GC should downgrade to the previous version, its one bug after another ..  

Snímek obrazovky 2023-11-19 v 14.40.19.jpg

Snímek obrazovky 2023-11-19 v 14.40.31.jpg

14 hours ago, Keystone said:

What's the public reference number for the trackable you're trying to log?

Is the trackable marked as "collectible" and is it in the owner's collection?

Are you suggesting a specific bug in the new logging flow?  If so, please provide further details.

Here's a Trackable I tested just now:  TB9TW3M

image.thumb.jpeg.7e7a9148dff62d609956ba21d2360f08.jpeg

(This is my owned Trackable, so "Discover" is not shown in this example, but the "Discover" log is working fine.)

Note that "Grab" is missing!  TB9TW3M is not in a Collection (nor marked Collectible).  The log page I'm working on is the new improved logging page with all the white space.  That page started sometime this month, and the page has the look of emptiness.  The page already looks like a problem, even before I click that drop-down box.  Is there an "old logging experience" that I can use instead?

The "Grab" option should be in the drop-down list for any Trackable in play, but it's not.  Has the function been moved?

There's been some confusion in this thread about missing log items.  I see "Retrieve" available for a Trackable that is in a cache inventory, which is correct.  It looks to me that the question is not about "Retrieve" because that works.  The bug is specifically about "Grab".  "Grab" remains available within The Official Geocaching App, and possibly other Apps.  But it's gone on the geocaching.com web site.

Edited by kunarion
14 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Maybe its been fixed, as I can see a retrieve option.

The issue appears exclusively about the "Grab" function in the drop-down box on the web site.  Grab is missing from the available logs, yet should be selectable in any case when a Trackable is in play.  It may be confusing because the thread title and OP provided no such detail. 

A boxful of Trackables at an Event tend to be in the wind.  That is, the ones available for attendees to pocket won't even be logged into that box o' free stuff, and often have an Inventory too scrambled to log into the Event.  And then "Retrieve" is not an option.  So when "Grab" is also gone, cachers, and especially Trackable Owners, are definitely out of luck.

Edited by kunarion
15 hours ago, bd's said:

I'm trying to log a travel bug, but the sight only allows a note or a discovery. I was at an event earlier today and everybody was have a problem logging travel bugs. What's going on with this new logging system. 

Did you post a Note log? Or at least contact the Trackable Owner and tell them you hold their item and you're working on logging it?  TOs await the news, and Trackables in a pile at an Event tend to get no love.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

To simplify what I said yesterday. I'm seeing two issues.

If a TB is set as NOT collectable, AND is in the hands of another player, the only options are, Write Note, and Discovered it. Which, (I think) is NOT correct. You should be able to also Grab it. Example: https://coord.info/TB61D94

If a TB collectable preference is not set, AND is in the hands of another playler, the only options are, Write Note, and Discovered it. Which, (I think) is NOT correct. You should be able to also Grab it. Example: https://coord.info/TBA05C6

Everything else I tried worked as expected. Again, the workaround is to grab the trackable using the free official app which is functioning correctly. 

This is definitely a BUG that needs to be fixed. 

• Helpful 1
8 minutes ago, MtnGoat50 said:

To simplify what I said yesterday. I'm seeing two issues.

If a TB is set as NOT collectable, AND is in the hands of another player, the only options are, Write Note, and Discovered it. Which, (I think) is NOT correct. You should be able to also Grab it. Example: https://coord.info/TB61D94

If a TB collectable preference is not set, AND is in the hands of another playler, the only options are, Write Note, and Discovered it. Which, (I think) is NOT correct. You should be able to also Grab it. Example: https://coord.info/TBA05C6

Everything else I tried worked as expected. Again, the workaround is to grab the trackable using the free official app which is functioning correctly. 

This is definitely a BUG that needs to be fixed. 

You are correct.  The setting "Collectible" alone merely enables placing a Trackable into a Collection, and serves no other purpose affecting log creation.  Once in a Collection, it is out of play and therefore only Discover and Note would be available.

If it's not in a Collection nor locked, the log option "Grab" should be available, whether in a cache or cacher's Inventory.  And it is available in the Official App.  Just not on the web site.

It's a pretty major bug that I'd expect will be corrected at some point after HQ offices open.

Edited by kunarion
12 minutes ago, kunarion said:

If it's not in a Collection nor locked, the log option "Grab" should be available.

...and the Grab option is available if the trackable is set as collectable but not in a collection.

Again, per my previous post:

2023-11-19_133728.jpg.cb46446b68b837a48d7b62d6531289d0.jpg

Edited by MtnGoat50
adding a picture
36 minutes ago, MtnGoat50 said:

...and the Grab option is available if the trackable is set as collectable but not in a collection.

Again, per my previous post:

2023-11-19_133728.jpg.cb46446b68b837a48d7b62d6531289d0.jpg

Wow.  I see that now.  The situation is crazier than I thought.

That will make it harder for me to convince people to not mark a Trackable "Collectible" unless the intent is to move the item into a Collection.

I sure hope this isn't a case of the web programmers being confused about "Collection" vs. "Collectible".  And it is plenty confusing.

Edited by kunarion
21 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

So you are not talking about this.

image.thumb.png.46349edb4a3311e27c0bfc8da670be1c.png

Correct.  I think Retrieve is working OK (maybe that option was fixed).  But I haven't cross-checked it with the Collectible weirdness.

Grab is missing in some cases where it should be in view.

Edited by kunarion

The trackable is TB6XCA0

The sight still won't let me grab this. I know for a fact that I can grab this one because it turns out that I have had this one in my possession before. I placed it in a cache, someone retrieved it and now it has returned to me.

Also, others that I talked with have told me that they are having the same problem.