In App Messaging Doesn’t Work

SafariBabe

1 hour ago, SafariBabe said:

That’s great for you but is no help to me. 

Actually, it IS helpful information to know whether a problem is observed universally.  Now we know that the problem is something specific to you, or to you and others with similar characteristics - anything from mobile carrier to phone version to app version, etc.

In that spirit, I can also report that I'm not having any problems sending and receiving messages within the iPhone app v9.36.0 while running iOS 16.6.1 on an iPhone 10s max using AT&T.

• Helpful 2
15 hours ago, SafariBabe said:

When I try to send a message to another cacher from inside the app, the message fails. I get the following message:

Message failed to send.

I use the iOS version of the app. Please advise. 

Here's another thread about this effect:  https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/389370-message-issues/

People noted the problem, and then evaporated.  One person said it started working again.  So the good news is, it might clear up after a while.

3 hours ago, SafariBabe said:

and the just wait for it to resolve itself is not helpful for sending answers on virtuals which also doesn’t work. 

As a workaround, try using the website to send your answers to the owner of the Virtual cache, using either the Message Center or Email.  Tip:  There's a "Message This Owner" link right below the cache title at the top of the cache's webpage.

• Helpful 2
6 hours ago, SafariBabe said:

Well, It’s not working on my iPhone 11  iOS 16.6.1 running version 9.36.0 of the geocaching app on AT&T. 

and the just wait for it to resolve itself is not helpful for sending answers on virtuals which also doesn’t work. 

It's really hard to pinpoint what's happening when we can't duplicate the issue you are having...and Keystone has given a workaround.  You can either use the website on your phone, or wait till you are home and on the computer to send answers for any Virtual.  Does sending messages from the website work for you?  I actually prefer to log things later, when I can sit down, and compose a decent log, and/or compose answers to Virtuals and Earthcaches on a full sized keyboard!!

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Helpful 1
5 hours ago, Keystone said:

As a workaround, try using the website to send your answers to the owner of the Virtual cache, using either the Message Center or Email.  Tip:  There's a "Message This Owner" link right below the cache title at the top of the cache's webpage.

From my phone, I can’t message from the website. It reverts to the app. I have to message from my home computer. 

12 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Occasionally stuff can get out of sync with automatic updates and doing this often fixes issues like this that are only affecting one person.

YAY!! Thank-you Barefootjeff! Finally someone with a real answer that works!! Thank-you Thank-you!!

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1