Oldest active caches?

Believer

22 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

You can just do a search with no filters selected and sort the results by Placed date. It looks like these are the earliest screenful:

I have found two of those. The Lane Cove one, and recently Europe's First. I took the train (Dart) from Dublin to Bray and walked to it. A trip done no doubt by many geocachers.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

We write our dates differently, it’s really no big deal.

It can be a big deal.

I know someone who was involved in an international telecommunications link up between multiple countries. Everyone was linked up except one country (easy to guess) and this mucked it up. The person who told me this story rang the person in the USA who hadn't linked up and asked why not, as everyone else was ready to go and they were holding everyone up.

"But it's not the day yet," was the reply.

They were then strongly told off*, and told that everyone else found that this was the day, and they needed to get with the rest of the world.

* I have heard this person telling off someone else, so I could almost hear it.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

It can be a big deal.

You know that MM-DD-YY and DD-MM-YY formats are confusing. In an international setting, use the ISO date format YYYY-MM-DD format instead.

As a bonus, YYYY-MM-DD sorts properly when sorted alphabetically, unlike the other two formats.

Edited by niraD
typo
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Most data storage keeps the Y, M, and D values accurate (thus sort properly wherever displayed); it's not good to store date fields as static text/values.  It's really just the visual representation of date data that can be confusing across country borders. But that's why the visual naming convention is so important when it's not a matter of a system that displays it in localized date format (such as file names that are static).  It's almost always the D/M values when both are <=12 that confuse people if the year is not displayed first.

blargh.

On 9/20/2023 at 5:14 PM, Clongo_Rongo said:

Project GC - has a search

image.thumb.png.7ac76d0d24984bd93ae46108af02e198.png

This does not work if one has found a cache hidden in every month one was hidden. I've completed my JASMER challenge but now want to get the oldest cache in every state I visit. Fair enough.
BUT what if I want to the TWO oldest caches in every state. How does one go about seeing a list of the... say ten... ten oldest caches in every state? The number is arbitrary, but more than one. Even if it's the two oldest geocaches published in each state.

Which is what I am looking for. The second oldest cache published in West Virginia. I don't just want the name of the cache, but how to go about finding out which cache that is.

Thanks!

• Funny 1
On 12/21/2023 at 2:21 PM, pictom said:

This does not work if one has found a cache hidden in every month one was hidden. I've completed my JASMER challenge but now want to get the oldest cache in every state I visit. Fair enough.
BUT what if I want to the TWO oldest caches in every state. How does one go about seeing a list of the... say ten... ten oldest caches in every state? The number is arbitrary, but more than one. Even if it's the two oldest geocaches published in each state.

Which is what I am looking for. The second oldest cache published in West Virginia. I don't just want the name of the cache, but how to go about finding out which cache that is.

Thanks!

you add another filter @pictom

image.thumb.png.30fd655707fe681ca53a35b7797215b6.png

image.thumb.png.8552aaf9b3ff59cbc058f076e1223e42.png

Edited by Clongo_Rongo
On 12/21/2023 at 8:21 AM, pictom said:

Thanks!

You can find the oldest active caches for each state by using the GC.com search page. For a particular state just start typing its name in the top left search box. It will eventually show up. You want to select the Region <state>. Where possible, always select 'All' for any other choices. Hit apply and then sort the results by the 'Placed On' column.

• Upvote 1