What irks me? - When the OP deletes the entire thread

niraD

6 hours ago, niraD said:

I am irked when people come to the forum, asks questions, get answers they don't like, and then delete the threads they started.

Yeah, yeah, I know... blah, blah, blah, privacy laws... blah, blah, blah, forum software... blah, blah, blah, Groundspeak's lawyers...

But when members have tried to help the OP with their replies, it is still irksome when the OP takes his/her/its ball and goes home. Or rather, when the OP takes everyone's stuff and destroys the field where we were playing. And the helpful replies are no longer available for others who might actually benefit from them.

(It would be really, really funny if, after a few people chimed in on this thread, for NiraD to delete it!)

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 10
  • Surprised 1
8 hours ago, niraD said:

I am irked when people come to the forum, asks questions, get answers they don't like, and then delete the threads they started.

- snip - 

But when members have tried to help the OP with their replies, it is still irksome when the OP takes his/her/its ball and goes home. Or rather, when the OP takes everyone's stuff and destroys the field where we were playing. And the helpful replies are no longer available for others who might actually benefit from them.

Yep.  I was going to say something completely different than the rest (but still showing why it's probably not a good idea...).

But halfway you could already tell, the OP didn't want to hear it wasn't brilliant...

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1

I was going to reply that this was a dumb irk but then figured I better not. I'd sure hate to see this entertaining thread deleted. :P

Some people have thin skin, some can't stand it when others disagree with them, and some just can't handle the truth. Oh well! :rolleyes:

Edited to ask: Didn't it use to be that an original poster could not delete a thread they had started?

Edited by Mudfrog
  • Funny 2
40 minutes ago, Mudfrog said:

Didn't it use to be that an original poster could not delete a thread they had started?

It used to be that the OP could ask to have the thread locked. I don't remember the OP being able to delete the whole thread until the recent "privacy" laws created the "right to be forgotten".

• Upvote 2

The boundaries of my lair are defined by the presence or absence of sock puppets.

I care not if a legitimate community member chooses to delete their own thread.  I don't get butthurt like Keystone does.

If a sock puppet were to start a thread, and then deletes it, I would be summoned from my lair.

One can conceptualize sock puppet self-deletion as "taking off your socks."

Therefore, such a sock puppet would be barefoot.

OMG....  is barefootjeff a sock puppet?

• Funny 5