Non premium members can be group officers?

21 minutes ago, RakeInTheCache said:

Hello,

I'm just checking to confirm that non premium members are eligible to be group officers.  Can someone confirm this for me?

Thanks,

Rake.

I just checked in one of the newest categories, Italian Heritage, and indeed a non-premium member is an officer.

• Upvote 1
On 8/29/2023 at 10:44 AM, bluesnote said:

You need to be premium to be appointed as an officer, but if your membership expires after that then you can still stay an officer. But no, if you are not currently a premium member, then you cannot be appointed.

Seems indeed to be the case, and...

On 8/29/2023 at 11:21 AM, Bear and Ragged said:

Also non/expired Premium as a category leader?

Seem to be stuck with a non/expired member as leader.

... now, it you were to actually look around, you would, in all likelihood, find a MESS of non Premium member category leaders, possibly a commensurate number of nonactive leaders, and a pretty large number of no longer active officers.

Interesting situation. Lots of Waymarkers from waaaay back have either initiated categories, or taken them over, and have now gone on to other pursuits, leaving yet another leaderless, or even an officer free category behind, for our Wayfroggie to minister to.

I once read, many years ago, on the page of our Wayfroggie's other personality, that (it) was officer in 243 categories. For some reason I can remember numbers, though I seem able to remember little else. In any event I see now that that page (Wayfroggie's alter ego) has been expunged of such statistics, so I shall assume that (it) remains officer in 243 (or more) categories.

Anyhow, 243 seems a pretty large number of categories for one person to handle in anything approaching a responsible manner.

That's not really germane to the issues posed above. Just thought I'd mention it.

Anyhoo, with regard to categories with which you have issue vis a vis the proprietorship, I would simply suggest that you realize that this has become purely a do-it-yourself site. So, you're advised to follow one or more of the steps outlined below:

1: If a category has become utterly leaderless and officer free, complain to our Wayfroggie. Should you achieve no satisfaction and submitted Waymarks remain unreviewed, move on, knowing that our Wayfroggie will eventually approve your Waymarks. After all, it was prolly one of (its) 243 anyhow. ;)

2: Should you experience the incredible fortune to actually come into contact with an otherwise inactive officer of a particular inactive category, and assuming that you have already had the sense previously to join the group, immediately request that they propose a vote to have you elevated to officer. If you don't know how to do any of that, go back to Geocaching. :wacko:

3: Really, what do you care? If your Waymarks get approved sometime this year, what more can you expect from a website to which you pay no dues nor fees?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :mad:

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Funny 1
8 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

I once read, many years ago, on the page of our Wayfroggie's other personality, that (it) was officer in 243 categories. For some reason I can remember numbers, though I seem able to remember little else. In any event I see now that that page (Wayfroggie's alter ego) has been expunged of such statistics, so I shall assume that (it) remains officer in 243 (or more) categories

See this page in my statistics -> https://wm.familie-frohne.net/list_misc3.php?sort=0 ... hope it helps you ... :)

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, FamilieFrohne said:

See this page in my statistics -> https://wm.familie-frohne.net/list_misc3.php?sort=0 ... hope it helps you ... :)

Oh, another great page from you, I did not know.

I do have 4 inactive categories? These are the ones with my own submissions waiting for wayfrog, everybody else will be served within 48 hours the latest, except when I am on holidays.

And I left a couple of well staffed categories where I previously had approved waymarks. So the overall count is also not entirely correct.

*Raises hand* Currently I’m a non-premium member (the exchange rate has made it expensive!) but I’m an officer in one category from when I was last active 10 years ago. I wish I could contribute by being an officer in more categories now that I’m active again, but the reality is that I just might drop Waymarking like a  hot popoto once a certain game expansion is released, next summer. 

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, fi67 said:

I do have 4 inactive categories?

It's more ike former - you approved waymarks in categories you are no longer officer in. The active officers list is updated on each full import (which is done roughly once a month), so it should fit.

About the count: I take the information out of the listing, when I retrieve the coordinates. Since this is only done once for each listing, it might not be that accurate ...

On 9/1/2023 at 8:16 AM, FamilieFrohne said:

WOW! Thanks Erik. My number given above seems to have even managed to outpace inflation over the last few years! :mellow: :wacko: :o :blink: :(

Didn't have any idea which particular emoji might be appropriate here, so I included a few, from which yall may choose or, better, add one of your own.

Keith

PS - to what do the "former categories" refer?

Edited by ScroogieII
On 9/1/2023 at 5:52 PM, fi67 said:

And I left a couple of well staffed categories where I previously had approved waymarks. So the overall count is also not entirely correct.

As I said, I retrieved the approving officer out of the waymark listings - once on first import for each waymark - and store it in my database. So waymarks categories and the counts that were approved by you can be seen if you click on the specific user link on the page - in your case that whould lead you to https://wm.familie-frohne.net/list_user4.php?uuid=4a3df7f8-489e-42cf-8511-8748af6979c3 - listing all the categories and the count of approved waymarks.

Hope this is useful ... :)