What irks me? - closing down threads for no good reason.

29 minutes ago, JL_HSTRE said:

I'm not sure a thread going for ten years with thousands of posts is a good thing, for any message board.

Yeah, as much as I like the CCC thread, the first few dozen pages are almost useless because most of the photos are no longer available.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

It always seemed to me to be a good place for people to go just for a good old moan, like popping down the pub for a pint with friends to  chew over the fat.

In other words, maybe like the now defunct "Off-Topic" forum - I've always enjoyed those sections of forums I've participated in - I don't have a specific question, just want to discuss an aspect of geocaching, or rant about something (like throwdowns) now and then that I know has been discussed, endlessly, but a fresh example just happened and I want to talk about it with like-minded folks!  The "irk" thread was where I'd post that kind of thing.  Ah, well - I'll miss that thread!

• Upvote 5

I like this thread. Not only is it a thread about another thread (a "meta-thread"?), it's topic ("irks") also perfectly fits the topic of that other thread. It's like opening a new thread with "I didn't find that other thread on DNFs - where is it??" ;)

Anyway, I also liked the old "Irks" thread. But OTOH, the moderator does have a point, when saying that separate threads about specific topics might be more appropriate and useful in the end.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
3 hours ago, MNTA said:

Irks redux anyone?

18 minutes ago, baer2006 said:

Anyway, I also liked the old "Irks" thread. But OTOH, the moderator does have a point, when saying that separate threads about specific topics might be more appropriate and useful in the end.

Yes, we've been asked to create separate "irk" threads for each type of irk. So rather than create a single "What Irks you most? REDUX" thread, we should create a series of "What irks me? - [specific irk]" threads.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
13 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

Bad call to suddenly shut down the "What Irks You Most?" thread.

Closing it down sort of confirms this from the penultimate post

and I can't help wondering if this was why it was really closed in a fit of pique?:

I wonder if there's any chance of it being re-opened?

Guess I hit a soft spot?

• Funny 3
  • Helpful 1