Is this a tech problem or an alternate geocaching reality?

Something odd happened yesterday, and I don't know whether to file a bug report or leave something out for the Good Folk.

I was caching in a Coloado state park (which are geocaching friendly overall). Because of the heat, I took my dog, drove from our campsite to the suggested parking spot, and started walking down a little dirt service road about 7:45 a.m. We went about a quarter mile, then had go 100 yards or so through scattered trees and cactus to the site.  The coordinates were a bit off, but in scrolling through the logs on my phone (I was using the app whose name ends in "y"), I saw that another cacher, whose handle I recognized, had listed other coordinates, and hers were dead on.  The log sheet was in tatters, so I left a new log sheet and some swag. All normal and good.

I wanted to save a draft "found it" log and write a good one when back at my computer. Maybe I fat-fingered the phone, because the draft was not there later when I looked.

Back at camp, I logged into this site. I could not find the cache. Not by name, not on the map, and not on the list of all the owner's caches, both active and archived.

It was gone! No trace on my phone app either.

I don't see how a cacher out in the field could delete a cache completely. Is there some technical explanation? I'd like to collect my smiley, but there is nowhere to log it. Right now, it feels like an alternate-reality geocaching experience.

I sent a message to the owner. GC says he has not been on the site since 2015, so my expectations are low.

What information can you provide about the cache?  Name? GC Code?  Approximate coordinates? Name of the State Park? Cache Owner name?

Also, there's no need to hide the fact that you were using the Cachly, an excellent official API partner application.

The only way for a cache to disappear "completely" is if it's retracted.  That's not possible if there's been finds logged on the cache.  More likely, the cache has been archived.

Edited by Keystone
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
15 minutes ago, Keystone said:

What information can you provide about the cache?  Name? GC Code?  Approximate coordinates? Name of the State Park? Cache Owner name?

It's in Lathrop State Park near Walsenburg, Colorado. The owner, Roskoe52, placed several caches in the park.

I was looking for one with "picnic table" in the name, located west of Horseshoe Lake. If you can find it, I would delighted.

Also, there's no need to hide the fact that you were using the Cachly, an excellent official API partner application.

Good to know!

The only way for a cache to disappear "completely" is if it's retracted.  That's not possible if there's been finds logged on the cache.  More likely, the cache has been archived.

I looked on the owner's archived list and did not see it there. Maybe should check again? But there were relatively recent finds.

Edited by chasclifton
6 minutes ago, chasclifton said:

I tried that, as I wrote. Did not search his finds but did search the caches he owns.

How would the caches she owns help you? 

Your OP mentions you recognized the name of someone who put better coordinates in their log. That's who I'm suggesting you contact. 

I did not see you mention that you contacted them already. 

Just now, Mermaid.Man said:

Does Cachly not show a list of caches that you have recently viewed, a "history" button?  The app that I use does this (and also begins with C but does tend to get folks here all excited when someone mentions it).

It does show a history button. Unfortunately, I had deleted  it before I realized the problem was happened. I just assumed that everything would be on geocaching.com!

1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

How would the caches she owns help you? 

Your OP mentions you recognized the name of someone who put better coordinates in their log. That's who I'm suggesting you contact. 

I did not see you mention that you contacted them already. 

Now that might be a good idea, if I can't find another workaround.

1 hour ago, chasclifton said:

That is it! Where was it hiding? Why could I not see it? Thanks!

You're welcome. 

I am curious. Can you see it now on the map etc.?  I didn't need to use any special reviewer powers to find it. I just looked where you described and there it was. A "found it" log from last October with corrected coordinates clinched that it was the right one.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Ice and Wind said:

You're welcome. 

I am curious. Can you see it now on the map etc.?  I didn't need to use any special reviewer powers to find it. I just looked where you described and there it was. A "found it" log from last October with corrected coordinates clinched that it was the right one.

I just did a fresh seach for "Walsenburg, Colorado" on geocaching.com, and it did not show up. Somehow it's hidden to me, and I don't know how that happened, but I was glad to be able to log it after  two days of trying!

17 minutes ago, chasclifton said:

I just did a fresh seach for "Walsenburg, Colorado" on geocaching.com, and it did not show up. Somehow it's hidden to me, and I don't know how that happened, but I was glad to be able to log it after  two days of trying!

2 hours ago, LydiaSimmons said:

Is it possible you accidentally placed the cache on your Ignore List?

Have you checked your Ignore List, as @LydiaSimmons suggested?

12 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Have you checked your Ignore List, as @LydiaSimmons suggested?

Yes, it got on the list somehow. As I said up top, I must have fat-fingered the iPhone when using Cachly and did not even know that I had done it. 

I never had deliberately "ignored" any caches, so that possibility did not occur to me right away.

Many thanks to everyone who helped solve this little caching mystery.

Edited by chasclifton
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2