Release Notes (Geocaching® app: Navigation screen improvements for Traditional Caches) - August 15, 2023

Release Notes (Geocaching® app: Navigation screen improvements for Traditional Caches) - August 15, 2023

Today we are releasing a new feature on the navigation map in the Geocaching® app (available for version 9.34.0+): When navigating to a Traditional Cache, the navigation map now shows a section at the bottom of the screen with additional information about the cache to help with finding and logging.

Screen Shot 2023-08-15 at 9.18.25 AM.png

When you tap “Navigate” on the cache details screen of a Traditional Cache, there is a new card at the bottom of the screen.

As you navigate to the coordinates, you can swipe up on the card to review it. At the coordinates, the card will automatically expand and you have a one-tap option to view additional information that might be helpful while searching for the cache:

• Details about Difficulty, Terrain, Size (these are also available in shorthand without tapping the button)
  • The hint (if available)
  • Logs

When you have found the cache (or decided you won’t be able to find it), you can start logging directly from the navigation screen. 

• When tapping “I found it”, new players will see additional information about signing the log sheet and replacing the cache. Players with one find or more can start writing their Found it log right away.
  • When tapping “I didn’t find it”, once per login you’ll see additional help on how to find a cache, otherwise you can start writing the DNF log right away.

Nicole (nykkole), Product Manager, is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

Edited by Geocaching HQ
Removed reference to Android still being in testing. The feature is available on iOS and Android.
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 4
  • Helpful 1
33 minutes ago, Geocaching HQ said:

As you navigate to the coordinates, you can swipe up on the card to review it. At the coordinates, the card will automatically expand and you have a one-tap option to view additional information that might be helpful while searching for the cache:

• Details about Difficulty, Terrain, Size (these are also available in shorthand without tapping the button)
  • The hint (if available)
  • Logs

Note that the Details button shows only verbose text descriptions explaining the cache type, and its difficulty, terrain, and size ratings.

To see additional details about the cache itself, you need to exit Navigation (the left-pointing arrow at the top left of the screen), then scroll down to the Description button, then click the Description button.

I have no objection to making the verbose text descriptions of the type and ratings available. But as both a cache seeker and a cache owner, I find it frustrating that Groundspeak's app hides the cache description from the user (who is often a new geocacher, since that seems to be the target audience for the app).

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Is there likely to be an upgrade to the app that makes logging TBs easier on a mobile device?
I know we can't expect the same functionality in an app that we can get on the website, but it's one of the ways the app fails.

Being able to see details and the hint without leaving navigation is a huge step forward, and one that's long overdue. Thank you.

Is there a setting that will get the cards you're talking about? I just updated to the 9.34.0 version but do not see the cards when using the navigation button. Maybe I have to reboot the phone an Android v13 Pixel 5. The email address is mine

aka geo K

12 minutes ago, geo K said:

Is there a setting that will get the cards you're talking about? I just updated to the 9.34.0 version but do not see the cards when using the navigation button. Maybe I have to reboot the phone an Android v13 Pixel 5. The email address is mine

aka geo K

Apologies for the confusion. The way the roll-out works means that it might take up to 24 hours for the feature to be fully available to all players on 9.34.0.

3 hours ago, niraD said:

I have no objection to making the verbose text descriptions of the type and ratings available. But as both a cache seeker and a cache owner, I find it frustrating that Groundspeak's app hides the cache description from the user (who is often a new geocacher, since that seems to be the target audience for the app).

Yes. Many of my caches are in potentially hazardous locations, and even for those that aren't, I often provide helpful information in the Description on how best to get to the cache without having to battle through thick undergrowth, cross watercourses or end up on the wrong side of an impasse. I find it frustrating that HQ is continually discouraging players, particularly new players, from ever looking at either the Description or the Attributes. Not all traditionals are easy road-side or trail-side hides where all you have to do is follow the arrow and maybe read the hint when you get there.

It would have been much better if the "Details" button actually showed the cache details (i.e. the description and attributes) instead of just repeating in words the D/T rating and size which are already shown graphically.

• Upvote 6
  • Helpful 2

It's kind of funny, as I was reading and I came to this:

12 hours ago, Geocaching HQ said:

At the coordinates, the card will automatically expand and you have a one-tap option to view additional information that might be helpful while searching for the cache:

The first thing my mind thought was 'oooh, I was wonder if they'll provide easy access to the description before the hint?'

... and then that question was answered :laughing:

I do, honestly, wonder why the mobile apps devs seem to have a negative view of implying that the description is more important than the hint.  Great opportunity here to show that geocaching is more than go-to-coordinates-and-search.  It just logically makes sense that the description would be paired with information about what you're actually directing towards. Even if it's a tap to open a new panel or something, just please provide that mechanic to demonstrate that the descriptors of the thing come before the additional help to find the thing... :wacko:

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3

Now that I can see this on my phone, I thought I'd try it on one of my recent traditionals (GCABG77). This is what I got:

Screenshots.jpg.83fd914bfe984f2b0f119a180e39d2b6.jpg

The first thing I wonder about is it offering to let me log a Find or DNF on my own cache. I didn't try tapping either to see what would happen, but is this now a back door to logging finds on your own caches?

The second thing that strikes me is the top paragraph in the Details panel, which says to "read the details if you get stuck". Shouldn't that be "read the HINT if you get stuck?" On my higher terrain caches in particular, I really want people to read the details before they get stuck, as sending out Search and Rescue squads to unstick them doesn't give caching a good name.

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 3

Even more timely, the last podcast I released, before this news, has a segment where I talk about the hint affecting the D rating of a cache and I touched on how the official app seems to place more importance and significance on the hint over the description.  It wasn't laced with opinions on that matter specifically, but helps validate that there's a clear implication and reputation that the devs really don't place much value in the description for mobile app users. I don't think any other mobile app gives that same implication... imo it's quite unfortunate :unsure:

If there is a good reason (ymmv, but an actual conscious decision) for this strategy, I for one would be interested to know. Who knows, there could be factors at work unknown to our side of the fence here.

• Helpful 2
2 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

The first thing I wonder about is it offering to let me log a Find or DNF on my own cache. I didn't try tapping either to see what would happen, but is this now a back door to logging finds on your own caches?

It's bizarre. I am given the option to log a find (or DNF) on my own geocache. It actually lets me complete the log and gives me a congratulations message. But the log never shows up on the page. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Surprised 5

Noticed the change to the app today and a few things come to mind.  Using an Apple XR (running iOS v16.6) noticed significantly more battery use than before the update.  We're curious if others have experienced this?  Also, as mentioned in prior comments, would seem to make more sense having the cache details listed when the "details" button is clicked, not generic info.  We liked having the accuracy listed with the distance in map view as sometimes signals can be wonky and it's nice to know GZ might be in a certain area.  It is listed in compass view, which is okay, but it's a small thing we miss.  We did also notice the map sometimes started glitching out as it would stop moving, requiring "center on me" to be tapped.  (screen not touched before this happened)

• Helpful 1
On 8/15/2023 at 3:42 PM, geo K said:

aka geo K

I waited 24 hours and bingo the cards appeared. Thanks for the help.

• Helpful 1

I am having a navigation problem for solved puzzles using the phone app.  It must be related to the new software, since it only just started happening, and that badly designed and annoying new layout started at the same time.  (I do not appreciate the new layout.  I need the map as large as possible,,  and I need to have the distance to the cache displayed in VERY LARGE FONT.  Nothing else should interfere with the navigation screen.  I am accustomed to pausing the search to refer back to read the details, hint and past logs,  if/when needed. As for whoever thinks it is a good idea to have logging buttons on the navigation screen... wasted space...)

Testing out various solved puzzles on my phone - The problem is that the solved coordinates for caches which you have manually updated with solved coordinates are not sent to the phone app. Only puzzle caches with solved coordinates that have been automatically updated from a Groundspeak checker are recognised by the phone app.

There's no problem with the puzzles which have a Groundspeak puzzle check embedded on the cache page.  With these puzzles you check your solution and the coordinates are automatically updated on the cache page.   Using the app, you click on the puzzle icon, and you can follow the navigation line to the solved GZ.

The problem is with all the puzzles where you have input the updated solved coordinates yourself.    You have solved a puzzle at home on the computer.  (Maybe there is a  Geocheck.org or Certitude geochecker on the cache page, maybe a checksum, or maybe the coordinates are unmistakable once you find the solution - anyway, there is no Groundspeak checker.)  You manually update the coordinates on the cache page, and the solved icon shows on the computer map.  You turn on the phone app and the solved coordinates icon shows at GZ.  All good, or so you think.  You  head off towards GZ, click on the cache icon on the phone app map,  click Navigate.  Your navigation line points you straight to... the puzzle start icon! 

So you either wing it and use the satellite view map to get to the approximate GZ, without using the Navigate feature, or you go  to the browser and enlarge the cache page... and very carefully copy the updated coordinates from the cache page... go back to the phone app and make a new waypoint, paste the updated coordinates into the waypoint and save it as the Final GZ... then navigate to the Final GZ waypoint.

Please reinstate the previous phone app software!

• Upvote 4
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 1
On 8/15/2023 at 5:38 PM, barefootjeff said:

Yes. Many of my caches are in potentially hazardous locations, and even for those that aren't, I often provide helpful information in the Description on how best to get to the cache without having to battle through thick undergrowth, cross watercourses or end up on the wrong side of an impasse. I find it frustrating that HQ is continually discouraging players, particularly new players, from ever looking at either the Description or the Attributes. Not all traditionals are easy road-side or trail-side hides where all you have to do is follow the arrow and maybe read the hint when you get there.

It would have been much better if the "Details" button actually showed the cache details (i.e. the description and attributes) instead of just repeating in words the D/T rating and size which are already shown graphically.

I totally agree. This past weekend was my first opportunity to see and use the new views. Searching for a more difficult cache, I personally found it very annoying to have to exit navigation in order to see the full description on the cache page. As a cache owner, it is already a problem when newbies (or even not so new cachers) don't bother to read information on the cache page. This seems to be another way to dumb down geocaching so that people ignore or miss pertinent information and then leave you with nothing more than "found it" for a log. Is it really just about being in a hurry to get on to the next guardrail?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

When in navigation mode I don't seem to be able to zoom in as I  approach the location with as much detail as before the update.  The added cache info in the bottom half on the screen is of little use and the navigation function is not as accurate. What improvement?

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 2

First time using the updated app today.  Distance to cache is too small and in a part of the screen where you have to look away from navigation.  Also the closest zoom level on Trails map is now too far out to be of much use when you get close to GZ.  Had to change to Street maps to zoom in to a useful level.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3
42 minutes ago, seffnjarah said:

First time using the updated app today.  Distance to cache is too small and in a part of the screen where you have to look away from navigation.  Also the closest zoom level on Trails map is now too far out to be of much use when you get close to GZ.  Had to change to Street maps to zoom in to a useful level.

Good catch! The trails map stops zooming at a certain level and you have to switch to a different map view (I used satellite) to be able to zoom in closer. 

The latest app update is awful. I've been using it extensively since it was released, trying to find some way to get rid of the buttons that are taking up half of the real estate on my nav screen, because they limit what I can see, and they're not at all useful to me. Someone had success by changing map from trail maps to street maps, but I really like trail maps, especially since the hybrid was introduced. Can the developers make the buttons an optional setting, perhaps by turning them off in developer options? 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 8/16/2023 at 8:16 AM, barefootjeff said:

Now that I can see this on my phone, I thought I'd try it on one of my recent traditionals (GCABG77). This is what I got:

Screenshots.jpg.83fd914bfe984f2b0f119a180e39d2b6.jpg

The second thing that strikes me is the top paragraph in the Details panel, which says to "read the details if you get stuck". Shouldn't that be "read the HINT if you get stuck?" On my higher terrain caches in particular, I really want people to read the details before they get stuck, as sending out Search and Rescue squads to unstick them doesn't give caching a good name.

It is so strange.  Why can't the developers manage to form the App around what the App's text says... or else adjust the text so that it matches the Improvements?  There's a miscommunication thing going on.  Can someone among TPTB explain to the App developers that the text is obsolete, that it requires a re-write?

While reading the recent comments and trying to get "the new huge panel of annoying buttons" to appear (which I eventually managed to find), I do find it curious that we first must open the Details screen to be presented with that familiar text "read the details if you get stuck", which has lost all remaining meaning.  I am already reading the details, this is the Details screen.  The "details" being D/T and size. That seems like a lateral move to me.  I keep being told that "read the details if you get stuck" merely means "read the details" (despite what the words actually say).  But now the most relevant "details" if one is stuck, the cache description, have vanished!  I had to exit out of Navigate to find the cache description.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Any new feature is going to be met with a ton of feedback: some positive, some negative, some constructive.

I like being able to access size, D/T, logs, and the ability to go straight to Found or DNF from the navigation screen. I can see where some would prefer to toggle it off, and that's fine. I can also see where someone else might prefer the actual cache description as an option from here. That's the beauty of a new feature - constructive feedback that makes it work for most people. 

I'm not saying it's perfect, just that I like the direction the app is taking here and the idea behind the feature. 

• Helpful 2