Late logging

Received an email today regarding a found log posted to one of my caches.   The log is dated 5/24/2020.   The cache has been archived since September of 2021.   

This individual logged two other caches today.    One was part of a series which included the cache listed above (also archived).   The other was logged as found 6/18/2023 from a series 25 miles away.  

Has anyone experienced people who log finds years after they've been found?    Do you think these logs are bogus? 

Thanks   

17 minutes ago, justintim1999 said:

Has anyone experienced people who log finds years after they've been found?    Do you think these logs are bogus? 

That reminds me... I've still got a bunch of old field notes drafts that I need to log.

Edited by niraD
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
17 minutes ago, justintim1999 said:

Received an email today regarding a found log posted to one of my caches.   The log is dated 5/24/2020.   The cache has been archived since September of 2021.   

This individual logged two other caches today.    One was part of a series which included the cache listed above (also archived).   The other was logged as found 6/18/2023 from a series 25 miles away.  

We used to get a lot of very late (some years) "backlogged" Found Its.  Most were kids finally opening their own account.   :)

We told parents for years that it's easy to keep track which kid found what by simply marking a Trackable in their name, and Drop/Retrieve (and now just "visit") each cache they were with you on.

If/when that kid wants to cache later (later doesn't have a timeframe...) they simply copy caches from that Trackable's history. 

Some would even be long-archived...

If you feel this person's log might be "bogus", just send an email.  We don't know your or his story....

There's a cacher near me that caches in a few states (PA and AZ mostly), and is on various committees in the area.  A real busy person.

I can't recall when they logged a cache the day or two after finding it...   

• Helpful 2
1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

Just use the right date so it doesn't confuse the CO!

When I log really old field notes drafts, I include a comment that I'm catching up posting logs for old finds, as well as using the date of the actual find for the log (which is easy with field notes drafts).

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

We used to get a lot of very late (some years) "backlogged" Found Its.  Most were kids finally opening their own account.   :)

We told parents for years that it's easy to keep track which kid found what by simply marking a Trackable in their name, and Drop/Retrieve (and now just "visit") each cache they were with you on.

If/when that kid wants to cache later (later doesn't have a timeframe...) they simply copy caches from that Trackable's history. 

Some would even be long-archived...

If you feel this person's log might be "bogus", just send an email.  We don't know your or his story....

There's a cacher near me that caches in a few states (PA and AZ mostly), and is on various committees in the area.  A real busy person.

I can't recall when they logged a cache the day or two after finding it...   

This cacher has 314 finds so it could be someone catching up on their own account.   in 10 years, this is the first time I've encountered this.   Looked odd at first but it seems possible it's legit.   Thanks 

In the found log a month ago they noted the cache needed maintenance.   The previous 15 logs and the one after indicated the cache was fine.   Knowing the hide the only issue would be a full log which I replaced in March.   Glad they didn't post a needs maintenance log based on the condition of the cache when they actually found it.  

Back around 2010, it was common for me to be two months behind on logging.  I missed out on the first world geocaching day souvenir because I didn't log my event attendance until after the code that awarded the souvenir was removed.  It's not like I needed another souvenir, so I didn't mind and haven't mentioned it.

The bottom of my online field notes drafts has some old ones:

image.png.e8001b6c0906e7f12a3e00a27bd1eddd.png

About a third of my unlogged finds are earthcaches (and a little more than another third are archived or already-logged caches).  I visited the location, took notes, and took pictures, but never wrote something cohesive to answer the questions enough for me to send to the cache owner.  They're just sitting in limbo.  Other ones might be challenges I signed but might not have qualified.

For someone with my find count and streak length, I'm not as organized as some people would expect.  However, I consider some sawdust on the floor acceptable when milling through caches, so to speak.  And there have been times my streak had been broken for weeks or months until I noticed I hadn't logged that day, then I'd have to look through the field notes for the cache or, when I didn't make a field note, my tracklog to see where I had been that day.

As for the field notes in my screenshot above, I'm going to consider them forfeit.  If I want to log those earthcaches, I'll need to revisit them, get an updated picture, and take new notes, then log it with a recent date.  I'll leave the notes there to gather dust.  The only thing it's hurting is Groundspeak's app: I think scrolling to an archived cache in its drafts view is causing it to crash.  Ha, ha.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

I just started going through a backlog of about 4000 drafts, left over from a bug with the field notes years ago... The vast majority had already been logged correctly, so mostly I'm just going through and deleting them one by one.  But I did find one that I had not logged from about 2013.  I'll probably find more in the roughly 3900 I have yet to go through...

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

It could be legit.  Some reasons have already been mentioned. Another fairly common scenario is that when a geocaching couple who logged under a single account splits, the half of the former couple who didn't get the account may log their finds on their new account.  When logging late however, it's always a good practice to explain what you are doing just so the CO knows it's not a phony log. 

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2

I was looking at a cache a couple of days ago that had a log "Out with SoonerCardsFan today. Found this one after long search" posted by my long time caching buddy so I have found it. It was from 2016. And I failed to log it. Oops! I'll log it with the correct found date after I get over being embarrassed. 

That wouldn't happen now that I use the phone to cache. I log finds as I go. 

• Funny 1

I'm pretty good about keeping about prompt logging.

A few years back I somehow noticed a cache I was sure I'd found on a previous vacation was unlogged. I found my spiral notepad that still had my notes from the trip and confirmed I had indeed found it.

In my case, I think it was an Earthcache where I'd forgotten to send the answers which is why I hadn't logged it. I sent them in and explained the situation in my log.