logging disable caches

Jayeffel

Curiosity makes me ask. A cache is placed and published then found by at least one cacher. Other cachers may have looked but the CO disabled the cache for some reason. If the cache is still in place pending the CO fixing the problem  and someone finds the cache while in that Disabled status will the Found log be recordered and recognized? Or does the Disabling affect recording finds or any other log entries?

I have no plans to go looking for disabled caches. Although that may be in an interesting time waster if I need one!

Edited by Jayeffel
  • Funny 2
32 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

Curiosity makes me ask. A cache is placed and published then found by at least one cacher. Other cachers may have looked but the CO disabled the cache for some reason. If the cache is still in place pending the CO fixing the problem  and someone finds the cache while in that Disabled status will the Found log be recordered and recognized? Or does the Disabling affect recording finds or any other log entries?

I have no plans to go looking for disabled caches. Although that may be in an interesting time waster if I need one!

I have logged disabled caches and they were recorded. I use a GPS and I might have loaded the cache before it was disabled. Therefore I would not know it was disabled and if I find it I log it. Same with archived caches. They are counted too.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
19 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I have logged disabled caches and they were recorded. I use a GPS and I might have loaded the cache before it was disabled. Therefore I would not know it was disabled and if I find it I log it. Same with archived caches. They are counted too.

Yes indeed.

There are a couple of exceptions.

If a cache is disabled for safety or legal reasons, it's bad form to log a find and the CO might delete it.  (Example: "After the tornado went through this park, the park manager asked me to disable my caches in the park until cleanup is complete.")  So, read the Disable log.

Sometimes a disabled cache is locked in order to prevent abuse, pending its possible return to active status.  There is at least one example of this less than 100 miles from the OP's location.  A locked cache page cannot be logged.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 2
1 hour ago, Keystone said:

it's bad form to log a find and the CO might delete it. 

That's interesting.... do the guidelines specifically state that this would be grounds for a CO to delete a log. I would have thought that it might be 'bad form' but if the log is signed can the CO delete a log because you found it outside of other guidelines they have gazetted?

Edited by lee737
20 hours ago, lee737 said:

That's interesting.... do the guidelines specifically state that this would be grounds for a CO to delete a log. I would have thought that it might be 'bad form' but if the log is signed can the CO delete a log because you found it outside of other guidelines they have gazetted?

18 hours ago, Keystone said:

The Geocache Hiding Guidelines tell a cache owner to "Delete logs that appear to be false or inappropriate."  The link takes the reader to a Help Center article with more detailed guidance.

The key is the phrase "Inappropriate logs".

If, using an example from up above, I archive my cache for safety or landowner issues and someone subsequently logs it, then you betcha I'm gonna get that log removed, either by deleting it or more politely appealing to the finder that the existence of a FIND log on a cache post-archival is an invitation to people - "It's still here!! C'mon and get it!"

THAT, in my opinion would be an 'inappropriate log'.  ----> gone.

People would complain and appeal it to HQ, and I might lose, but those are the people who care more about ONE POINT ON THEIR SCORE OUT OF PROBABLY THOUSANDS than they do about playing the game rationally and collaboratively.

I ASKED you to stay away, and you came anyway because the RULES say you can. "*&^$# you; you can't stop me."

Doesn't matter that it hurts the game. Or maybe themselves, physically. Or gets the landowner MORE mad.

In the fringe event that the finder whines to me convincingly, saying that the cache was pre-loaded on their GPSr so they had no way to KNOW it was archived, weeeell, maybe I'd let it stand, but add a NOTE log stating unequivocally that the cache is NOT to be seeked (what's the past-tense of 'seek'; 'suck'? No, that can't be right.) and THAT would be the most-recent 'Activity', after the find log.

On 7/2/2023 at 4:39 PM, Goldenwattle said:

A preloaded cache on a GPS would not have that disable log to read.

True, but in the tornado scenario the park or trails are probably posted closed.

Also, I've had situations where I get to an area and something has clearly happened. Logging, fire, heavy mowing, etc. Not a tornado but I'd think the damage would be noticeable. At that point I usually check the cache page.

Maybe it's a rural area with no cell coverage or maybe the geocacher is one of the few people without a smartphone. But otherwise be aware and stop to do some due diligence when when something seems awry.

19 minutes ago, JL_HSTRE said:

True, but in the tornado scenario the park or trails are probably posted closed.

Also, I've had situations where I get to an area and something has clearly happened. Logging, fire, heavy mowing, etc. Not a tornado but I'd think the damage would be noticeable. At that point I usually check the cache page.

Maybe it's a rural area with no cell coverage or maybe the geocacher is one of the few people without a smartphone. But otherwise be aware and stop to do some due diligence when when something seems awry.

I once came to an area where a tornado had gone through. Not the huge ones of the USA, but this one had left a trail of downed trees, and stripped large trees. Not a leaf left on them, while the trees outside the trail were thickly leafed. Consider each situation. I considered it and decided I could scramble over the trees to get to GZ. I found the cache. It had survived, and was sitting in its tree hollow, as if nothing had happened, completely unaffected by the destruction about it.

If something has a closed notice, I stay out.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 7/3/2023 at 7:55 PM, TeamRabbitRun said:

If, using an example from up above, I archive my cache for safety or landowner issues and someone subsequently logs it, then you betcha I'm gonna get that log removed, either by deleting it or more politely appealing to the finder that the existence of a FIND log on a cache post-archival is an invitation to people - "It's still here!! C'mon and get it!"

If it's still there you didn't remove it, so someone with outdated data on the device can still find - and log - it. 

In our area there's an owner who frequently claims a cache to be "vandalised" to archive it - while it's still in perfect shape - but never collects them. Sometimes one would find one of those only a few feet from an active cache (by another owner). Nice containers, btw, but we decided to log, not to steal them. Others may think differently, and clean up - so what's wrong with this?

Edited by LySt
2 hours ago, LySt said:

If it's still there you didn't remove it, so someone with outdated data on the device can still find - and log - it. 

In our area there's an owner who frequently claims a cache to be "vandalised" to archive it - while it's still in perfect shape - but never collects them. Sometimes one would find one of those only a few feet from an active cache (by another owner). Nice containers, btw, but we decided to log, not to steal them. Others may think differently, and clean up - so what's wrong with this?

You didn't get what I was saying - I was describing a case where there's a need to keep people away, as in a safety issue or an angry landowner.

In that case, I may very well have not picked it up yet, and in my opinion someone who ignores the archival reason and logs it 'because they're allowed to' is filing what I consider to be an 'inappropriate log', to paraphrase Keystone above.