how do i find a multi cache?

Wolf_gir123

Generally you show up at the icon on the map, and read the description (you really need to read these ones!) - it will tell what you need to do in order to get coordinates for the final cache, or maybe to another stage where you may have to repeat the process. As the help centre says you are commonly finding numbers from signs etc to make up a coordinate to navigate to. Sometimes you are looking for a physical stage - ie a cache that holds the coordinates or a clue.

They range from quick and easy to interesting, to long and tedious..... :)

Look for lower difficulty ones that are being found, read others logs to see if there are any issues, stick to single stage ones to start (some don't tell you how many stages there are...).

• Upvote 1

Is there a specific multi you would like help with?

Some are quite easy, and the description might say something like "go to the posted location, walk 100 feet due north, cache is in the post". Others are a bit more complicated, like "go to posted location, find the Important Battle plaque - use the dates to find next location. At next location, find Historical Statue and count the number of...".

And then there are insane ones like GC63GEV Great Aussie Icon Hunt in Australia, which requires visiting 15 different locations across 4 states on a 2,445 mile drive. That one takes a bit more effort, though there is another one coming back in the opposite direction if you want to make it a round trip. As lee737 said, the key is to read the description.

• Love 1

Do you have the GC.... code of the particular cache you are trying to find?

Multi caches can vary in the ways they need to be solved, usually reading the description will give you instructions on how to solve it.

Some multi caches involve collecting clues in the field and doing some (usually basic) maths to convert numbers to the final co-ordinates, others may involve projecting a waypoint or a series of small containers, each containing the co-ordinates to the next one until the final cache is found.

Cache owners are usually helpful and want their caches to be found and enjoyed, so messaging the cache owner through the geocaching website is another option.

Good luck and have fun :)

On 5/2/2023 at 9:58 AM, Wolf_gir123 said:

GC8ZR2Y gc  i need help with this one 

That one has a "1.5" Difficulty, which is easy.  Look at the cache description for any clues.  Read the logs to see how tough it actually may be.  Are there a lot of "Did Not Find" logs and a lot of comments about how tricky it is?  If not, it's easy.  There may even be spoiler pictures, if you want to see them.

Without specific instructions on the page, I'd suggest that you go to the coordinates and look around.  :anicute:

If there's not much to go on and you don't want to drive far and search and ponder, may can ask the Cache Owner.  The link to the CO's profile is on each cache page.  Good luck!

On 5/2/2023 at 9:58 AM, Wolf_gir123 said:

GC8ZR2Y gc  i need help with this one 

kunarion has offered sound advice and I agree with Max and 99.

I can't provide any facts concerning the hide as I've not searched for it.  At a quick glance, the logs and the listing page, I would assume the following.

The geocache find is super easy with only 1 DNF and currently 49 finds.

I would assume the word multi is a play on the word "multi".  Multi in this case is not referring to a conventional multi hide where you visit more than one location, rather you'll experience multiple containers at the posted coordinates.   When I read through the logs (like bbydoll98, MforMoose & bloat) and read the hint, I get this impression.

If my assumptions are correct, I hope this is considered an abuse of the multi geocache type for a listing. 

I would recommend seeking the geocache and report your findings here.  I hope I'm wrong with my assumptions however.  

• Helpful 1