Is geocaching decreasing in popularity?

essap2

3 hours ago, frrobert said:

For me Geocaching for me is not a stand alone activity but a fun add on activity when I am already at the park.  So as a hunter, I am going to search for caches at parks and places where I participate in other activities rather than just stand alone places (like a cache in a empty parking lot). 

I would think interest may increase if people were aware how it could be paired with other activities.

Yep, we were outdoors long-before we learned of this hobby, and still continue to hunt, hike, n fish while geocaching.

We've met a few who do the same. A couple (2000/2001 members) we were thrilled to meet hunting while doing the same. :)

We picked up hybrids for road and trail and bumped into them a year later on mountain bikes.  That's what (I feel) makes it a fun hobby.

Through this hobby I've been shown the best places for game and fish, best climbing opportunities, awesome views, and unique areas.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, frrobert said:

I also do POTA, which is a ham radio activity at State and National Parks.  I also geocache when I do that activity.  For me Geocaching for me is not a stand alone activity but a fun add on activity when I am already at the park.  So as a hunter, I am going to search for caches at parks and places where I participate in other activities rather than just stand alone places (like a cache in a empty parking lot). 

When I retired from work in 2016, one of the first things I did was start on a long-held ambition to hike the complete 250km Great North Walk from Sydney to Newcastle as a series of day walks. While doing that, I was able to find quite a few caches along the way, which added to the enjoyment, and afterwards I created a public Bookmark List (BM56Z5Q) of them. I've also placed a few caches close to the GNW, particularly on the Central Coast sections, and occasionally see logs saying the cacher found them while doing a through-hike.

But those caches generally get few finds (one was last found over two years ago). What cachers these days mostly want are quick roadside smileys in empty parking lots.