2023 Souvenirs

Max and 99

2 hours ago, Tungstène said:

The drawing associated with the 2023 hider souvenir shows all the non-grandfathered geocache types EXCEPT for the Wherigo cache type.

Does it mean that Wherigo caches are to follow benchmarking into oblivion?

These icons are probably not meaningful. The CITO icon is also missing, but there is an Adventures icon (and this souvenir is not for the launch of the new Adventure).

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 2

Here are the confirmed souvenir moments:

• Full Sail 2023: January 1 through January 8
  • 2023 Hider souvenir: January 1 through December 31
  • Cache In Trash Out®, Season 1: March 1 through May 31
  • Blue Switch Day: May 1 through May 3
  • International Geocaching Day: August 19
  • Cache In Trash Out®, Season 2: September 1 through November 30
  • International EarthCache Day: October 7 and 8
  • Goodbye 2023: December 24 through 31

2023 Geocaching HQ Souvenir Moments

Have they stopped making new country-souvenirs? The last one that was added already dates from February 23rd, before that there were new ones every few weeks. There still are some countries missing it seems, so it would be nice if this is finished one day (and every country has its souvenir).

On 4/11/2023 at 9:28 AM, Max and 99 said:

Just a reminder....

We’re launching a new souvenir to celebrate Blue Switch Day and the innovators who made it possible! Earn the Blue Switch Day 2023 souvenir by finding a geocache, Adventure Lab® Location, or by attending an Event between May 1–3. Happy geocaching!

Blog post: Blue Switch Day 2023

DOH! I almost forgot about Blue Switch Day. I need to make a find today to grab the souvenir. Yes...I'm very OCD.

• Funny 1

International Earth Cache Day

From the blog post.

EarthCaches are filled with pools of geological knowledge, just like Pamukkale in Turkey. These bright blue, eye-catching terrace pools are created by the carbonate mineral left by the thermal flow of spring water, pictured above.

Learn more about Earth and its incredibly unique formations on Saturday, October 7, and Sunday, October 8, in celebration of International EarthCache Day! Earn the official souvenir for visiting the physical location of the EarthCache and completing the logging requirements to receive your smiley.

All non-Premium EarthCaches are open to everyone throughout the weekend on the Geocaching® app from 11:00:00 UTC on Friday, October 6, until 10:00:00 UTC on Monday, October 9.

EarthCaches do not have physical containers. Instead, they take you to a unique geological feature and teach you something about the area, just like Pamukkale. What kind of EarthCache will you visit on International EarthCache Day?

Edited by Max and 99
6 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

International Earth Cache Day

From the blog post.

I've been looking around for a possible EC to do that weekend and one in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney has caught my eye. It's a 175km drive each way from home but it looks like a pretty awesome location if the weather's nice:

grand-canyon-track-02.jpg

If it's rainy, though, there's one in northern Sydney that's closer to home and almost a P&G by comparison.

Incidently, I see on HQ's Facebook post a comment saying that they just get all the information from an EC they happen to visit during the year and log it on EC day. It's getting a few likes too, so I guess it's a popular way of getting the souvenir without having to plan a special trip or worry about the weather. To each their own, I suppose, but I thought the whole point of EC day was to actually go out and do an EC on that day.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 1

Why wouldn’t geocaching make it more publicized if there is a winter solstice souvenir. It’s not like them to have this short of notice and make it so you have to have so many finds to get the souvenir too.

Can we get confirmation from an official geocaching employee that this is real?

3 minutes ago, chase99g said:

Why wouldn’t geocaching make it more publicized if there is a winter solstice souvenir. It’s not like them to have this short of notice and make it so you have to have so many finds to get the souvenir too.

Can we get confirmation from an official geocaching employee that this is real?

They said on their Facebook page that it will be officially announced in the blog on the 12th of December.

image.png.c4203bccda7d40328fb7766544a6dc96.png

6 minutes ago, chase99g said:

Another question is, can anyone log the location less cache, (GC9FAVE)? Do you have to go to the coordinates to log it or can you just say your favorite place, add a photo and be done?

No it's locationless so you don't have to visit the location. The instructions, as stated on the cache page, are to revisit a favourite place in your local area that you discovered through caching, take a new photo there including yourself or something of yours (old photos are not permitted) and include it with your log.

Edited by barefootjeff

From today's blog post:

Geocaching HQ created a souvenir for geocachers to celebrate the December solstice. To earn this souvenir, geocachers must find a total of 12 geocaches, Event Caches, and/or Adventure Lab® Locations between December 17–23, 2023. We chose 12 because December is the 12th month of the year.

Edited by Max and 99
56 minutes ago, SW00P said:

Today is  December 17 th. So do logged finds count? Leaderboard hasn't reset, it resets tomorrow.  Nothing in app about souvenir. So how do we know it counts?

I got my souvenir so I know that Finds count today.

I too was surprise that there was nothing in the app mentioning the souvenir.

I saw from the blog post comments that there is some confusion since the wording says between the 17th and 23rd. And it's unusual for a promotion to start on a Sunday instead of a Monday when the leaderboard resets. 

Edited by Max and 99
3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

And it's unusual for a promotion to start on a Sunday instead of a Monday when the leaderboard resets. 

I saw no mention anywhere about this souvenir using the leaderboard, which doesn't reset until late on Monday night (almost the 19th) here. I would assume the requirement is for 12 logs from the 17th to the 23rd in your own time zone.