Re-Add the Cactus Attribute for historical caches and historical data,

James0116

Hi,

Could the ‘Cactus’ attribute be reinstated to the geocaching website please, since the ‘Lost and Found’ attribute is still active but is up for historical purposes, it’s sad that this can’t be available, especially since there is a cache somewhere that still has it,  (I’m not saying which one as it will likely get hammered if I do),

just bring it back please

thanks

James0116

• Funny 2
  • Surprised 1
1 hour ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

i wonder why it was eliminated?  I have visited several caches that I wished had that attribute.

I think "thorns" replaced it but several caches had already used the attribute so they couldn't fully remove it...

• Upvote 1

As others have noted, there is a more widely applicable attribute available - "thorns" - which sufficiently covers a plethora of prickly things. 

The "Cacti nearby" was only ever added to five caches and was never officially introduced. Four of these five caches are archived. The remaining one is in Wisconsin and in an area of the state that is not prime cacti country.

Based on that, the historic significance is rather limited and there is no reason to bring back this attribute.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
4 hours ago, baer2006 said:

Why not? Should be a simple database script, to replace each usage of one attribute (cactus) by another (thorns).

Perhaps they didn't want to make people angry? I don't know about back then, but if they ran such a script today people would be upset, I think. 

• Upvote 1
On 7/1/2022 at 2:28 PM, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

The "Cacti nearby" was only ever added to five caches and was never officially introduced. Four of these five caches are archived. The remaining one is in Wisconsin and in an area of the state that is not prime cacti country.

I just found this one today, and admit to targeting it because of the attribute. It was a nice hike even without the cacti.

• Upvote 1