Creating a list from a filtered search

Ocean Lovers

When I create a list from a filtered search, I find a number of caches that did not meet the search filter requirements.  In particular, I recently ran a search that limited the terrain to 3.0 and got a search result of 650 caches.  When I added these caches to a new list, the list had 904 caches on it.  The extra 254 caches all had terrains >3.0.  Is this a bug or am I just missing something?

• Upvote 1

I think I’m getting what you’re getting.

I tried selecting (checkmark, turn the box green) for Terrain 1 thru 3.0.  The search result is fine.  Of 404 caches, it shows 389.  Next I save the 389 caches as a new (empty) List, and it had 404 caches, no Terrain filtered.

I tried a similar idea for both Difficulty and Terrain with the same result.  Seems to be broken.

• Upvote 1

I’m surprised this issue has continued all day.  Anyway, I’m guessing that more people than you and me will begin to notice List weirdness, assuming it remains broken.  Your Thread Title may not attract much attention from other cachers who experience this effect — it doesn’t mention that there’s an actual problem.  That’s OK, but it explains why nobody else has posted any List attempts.

Here’s what I tried just now.  I ran a New Search with all filters at default.  Then I set to “Filter For” Terrain 4.0 and 4.5, which produces a list of two caches of each, a total of 4 caches.  I send those results to a new List, which then has only the two 5.0 Terrain caches (a List of 2 caches).  In this case, I end up with fewer caches after they arrive in the List.  Yet when run similar to the filters on the OP, I end up with all caches in the original search, although some were seen to be filtered out before sent to the List.

I’m running this in the Alook browser on iPhone.  I can try more tests with a common web browser on my PC if this issue never comes up elsewhere in the Fori.

Maybe I’m making an obvious mistake, but it looks like a bug to me.

Edited by kunarion

Windows Firefox, with or without scripts

Search for  T 4.5 and T 5 caches within 30 miles of N 28° 41.017' W 81° 7.046'

Search returned 112

checked the box and added to a new list T4.5, T 5

List is  of 1000 caches out from N 28° 41.017' W 81° 7.046'

Search to List worked correctly when I asked for Multi-caches within 30 miles of N 28° 41.017' W 81° 7.046'

Search returned 70   -   List is of 70 caches. 

Search to List worked correctly when

I asked for Size Large within 30 miles of N 28° 41.017' W 81° 7.046' 

Search returned 14 - List is of 14

and now I'm done playing with this as I'm getting error message:

Lists hold a max of 1000 caches. You have too many..... this refers to my 4.5 5 list.

Me too. Started with a search of everything within 16 km of my home coords, that returned 522 caches. Filtered for T 4-5, then only 22 caches were left in the list. Clicked to "add 22 to a list" and created a new list, that list then contained 522 caches.

The same, unfiltered set of caches? Not quite! If I sort the first set of 522 caches on descending distance, I find that the farthest is as expected 16 km away. If I sort the "filtered" list the farthest is another cache, 16.3 km away! Of course it could still be the same 522 caches, just that the starting point for the distance calculation is slightly different, but I can't imagine what other starting point it could come up with than my home coords. Maybe it is using my "current location" which I refused to let it use? It could have guessed something based on my IP address I suppose, but then it was a pretty good guess.

Anyway, I tried to filter for something else, namely caches not found by me. That resulted in 89 caches, and when I added those to a list the list held exactly those 89 caches afterwards. So this bug may affect only filtering for T and possibly D.

I started a thread yesterday with the title "Creating a list from a filtered search" in which I noted that when one creates a new list from a filtered search, the filters are not all carried over to the list.  Others have confirmed that the T and D filters are ignored, and the new list contains caches that were not in the filtered search.  I hope a lackey can address this issue soon and provide a fix.

3 hours ago, 2Abendsegler said:

Yes, it looks like a bug.

1953439587_GIF26_01.202213-53-47.thumb.gif.97a53157b76c78950b8d91c6faf4bd7a.gif

That's my basic process to test the bug.  By trying other selections I was also able to end up fewer caches, or even just the right number of them (or it was close).  It seems like each filter combination creates a specific screwed up List.  That is, it doesn't seem to be random.

I rarely make Lists from D/T filtered search results, so the issue may have existed for at least a few days.

@Ocean Lovers Creating duplicate threads is not the appropriate way to create attention as all it does is create unnecessary noise. I merged the two threads. If this were to turn into a pattern it would result in a warning.

Even though HQ does not respond to or address every report that comes in via the forums, they are being monitored and assessed for priority.

As far as the present issue, the engineers are aware of issues with list creation and looking into them.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

Thanks very much for the heads up and the assistance.  I am sorry if I created "unnecessary noise."  That was not my intent, of course.  I appreciate knowing that the issue is being addressed by the engineers.

57 minutes ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

@Ocean Lovers Creating duplicate threads is not the appropriate way to create attention as all it does is create unnecessary noise. I merged the two threads. If this were to turn into a pattern it would result in a warning.

Even though HQ does not respond to or address every report that comes in via the forums, they are being monitored and assessed for priority.

As far as the present issue, the engineers are aware of issues with list creation and looking into them.

• Helpful 1

I haven't experienced missing difficulty or terrains in the resulting list.  The new list adds terrains that I had filtered out in the search.

35 minutes ago, Harley&Friends said:

We have reported this in September 2021 in the release notes thread.

The problem exists since the new search filter is released.

See:

Sometimes the 0.5's are missing as part of the search results when filter on terrain and/or difficulty is applied.

2 hours ago, Harley&Friends said:

We have reported this in September 2021 in the release notes thread.

The problem exists since the new search filter is released.

See:

Sometimes the 0.5's are missing as part of the search results when filter on terrain and/or difficulty is applied.

As with “Ocean Lovers”, my Search results seem OK, but get real strange when sent to a List.  But I might not realize if all the “.5s” are gone (for example), unless I already know that there are some that should show.

On 1/25/2022 at 10:40 AM, Ocean Lovers said:

When I create a list from a filtered search, I find a number of caches that did not meet the search filter requirements.  In particular, I recently ran a search that limited the terrain to 3.0 and got a search result of 650 caches.  When I added these caches to a new list, the list had 904 caches on it.  The extra 254 caches all had terrains >3.0.  Is this a bug or am I just missing something?

The new search result release seems to have solved this problem.  (It did create a lot of other problems that have been or are being fixed.)  I want to thank GS for fixing this issue.  The new remaining difficulty,  for me, is that now one can only add at most 200 caches at a time from a filtered search result to a list.  I understand from another thread that this issue is being addressed.  Of course, one can add additional caches from the search in batches of 200, so it is not a big problem.

Mine works completely fine.

If you wanted to have caches with 1-3 terrain, you will select the following:

If you want all 3 terrains, you will select the following:

Hope this helps!!!

On 1/25/2022 at 11:40 AM, Ocean Lovers said:

I use to get something like your problem. It was a bug for me, so it should be a bug for you.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
On 2/17/2022 at 7:00 PM, Ocean Lovers said:

for me, is that now one can only add at most 200 caches at a time from a filtered search result to a list

No. Just do NOT select any caches from the search. The "Add (n) caches to a list" button will show (and add) ALL resulting caches

e4c0d0d8e8bbda9858a94379774e2cde.png

Edited by HHL
adding image