The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

OK all you Numbers Ho's, start your 4x4 Engines!!! One of the new 500+ Power Trail Caches Near NV Border...

Doesn't sound that fun to me. After about 50 or 100 it seems like it would get pretty boring. Am I the only one who doesn't find this appealing? I'm surprised at the quantity, too--I thought there were limits on power trails these days, anyway.

I am with you, for me this goes against what Geocaching should be... This just doesn't seem fun...I am surprised it got approved. To quote the Geocaching guidelines:

"Please don't hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can. The ultimate goals of the saturation guideline are to encourage you to seek out new places to hide caches rather than putting them in areas where caches already exist and to limit the number of caches hidden in a particular area, especially by the same hider. Groundspeak may further restrict cache listings in areas where cache saturation becomes a concern."

Edited by Eric and Hill

Need Help/Opinion: With REI ready to release their dividend checks next week, I'm shopping for a GPS and am looking at the Garmin Oregon 550t. I'm looking for real-world mini-reviews from people that own this unit. What are your thought, likes, dislikes? It seems this GPS is loved or hated. Thanks! - Jim/W9JIM

Need Help/Opinion: With REI ready to release their dividend checks next week, I'm shopping for a GPS and am looking at the Garmin Oregon 550t. I'm looking for real-world mini-reviews from people that own this unit. What are your thought, likes, dislikes? It seems this GPS is loved or hated. Thanks! - Jim/W9JIM

The Oregon is different and takes a bit of getting used to, but we love ours. We have the 550t. We found this weekend that the terrain map is in relief (shaded), with no elevation lines, so I couldn't tell how high the climb was...there may be a way to change this, but if not, the terrain maps are of little help and you'd be better to buy the 550 and save the extra $100.

Buying from REI is definitely the way to go...we've had a total of 3 Oregons now, the two previous broke and were instantly replaced by REI.

I can't speak of the 550t specifically, but I have a 400t. Over all, I find that it has just the right combination of features to be my geocaching tool of choice. It has a few quirks but they are all something I can live with (there fewer than when I got it due to SW upgrades). My biggest gripe is the screen (I wish it was more readable in very bright light...) but even that is within the range of acceptable.

Personally, though, I wouldn't bother with the "t" part. I find that I get very little use of the terrain maps in my 400t. There's just not enough detail to provide useful information.

The 450 is the same as the 550 without the camera.

Both have an improved screen compared to the 200/300/400.

The 'T' models have a 1:100k topo pre-installed but you can get a much better FREE 1:24k topo from GPSFileDepot.com.

So my recommendation would be the Oregon 450 and adding City Navigator NT (DVD version) and free topos.

At REI you will pay full retail but they have an excellent, no-hassle return policy.

We need to put together an Official 10-Year Anniversary Event!! Check out this link!! Let's get the Lackeys down to San Diego and put ourselves on the Map!! Lost and Found Tour -- The Official 10th Anniversary Page

Sounds great! Should I start building a Lackey Trap?

I think we already have one!! 10-Years of Geocaching -- Thanks, Dave!

I whispered something to Marko and I think he may have sent a carrier pigeon to the Lily Pond with a note humbly requesting the presence of a Lackey at Habu!'s event...

The name of the cache is not in the correct format for the event. I hope it still qualifies for the special icon :)

Easy fix... Habu! How 'bout changing the name to: 10 Years! San Diego -- Thanks, Dave!

Alex: I'm sorry, we have to go with your first answer, and that's incorrect. ... You were so close FlagMan, but as you know, the answers must be phrased in the form of a question...

:D

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
The name of the cache is not in the correct format for the event. I hope it still qualifies for the special icon :)

Easy fix... Habu! How 'bout changing the name to: 10 Years! San Diego -- Thanks, Dave!

Alex: I'm sorry, we have to go with your first answer, and that's incorrect. ... You were so close FlagMan, but as you know, the answers must be phrased in the form of a question...

:D

There can be only one proper response to that, and its, "Suck it Trebeck!" Sean Connery on SNL

Edited by FlagMan

GoBolts! posted on this cache that he had a stroke and was posting his log from the hospital. When I called him, he was on his way home. He had a mild stroke around midnight and struggled with speech for a few hours. He sounds well and was in good spirits - he was even making time to grab the cache that happens to be about 500 feet from his house. Sounds like he kicked this stroke's heine - way to go Dave!.

GoBolts! posted on this cache that he had a stroke and was posting his log from the hospital. When I called him, he was on his way home. He had a mild stroke around midnight and struggled with speech for a few hours. He sounds well and was in good spirits - he was even making time to grab the cache that happens to be about 500 feet from his house. Sounds like he kicked this stroke's heine - way to go Dave!.

PrayingForYou.gif

I'll be praying for a full recovery!

Barrie

aka: boysnbarrie

:wub: So happy to hear he's ok...and definitely in good spirits. Tell him hi from JnJ when you talk to him or see him!

:wub: So happy to hear he's ok...and definitely in good spirits. Tell him hi from JnJ when you talk to him or see him!

Ditto! Glad to hear it was a minor event...

:grin: So happy to hear he's ok...and definitely in good spirits. Tell him hi from JnJ when you talk to him or see him!

Ditto! Glad to hear it was a minor event...

Good to hear he's okay! :wub:

Myself and some cohorts are working on a cache series of about 50 caches for release this Sunday morning (March 21st), stay tuned for additional info...

Don't tell me... The "Rusty Altoid Tin" series?!? :anibad:

I hope it's early Sunday morning. 00020420.gif

Yes, my cohorts and I will ask for an early morning release - we have not decided on a time, but hopefully, the reviewers will be able to accomodate our request.

Myself and some cohorts are working on a cache series of about 50 caches for release this Sunday morning (March 21st), stay tuned for additional info...

Awesome! Where's it gonna be? Hike? Bike? Drive-ups? Huh? Huh?

Good question there 00020367.gifHuh? Huh? We are leaving a 0600 to go Caching. Do we need to take our Bikes along????l

Edited by SKILLET

Awesome! Where's it gonna be? Hike? Bike? Drive-ups? Huh? Huh?

Good question there 00020367.gifHuh? Huh? We are leaving a 0600 to go Caching. Do we need to take our Bikes along????l

When you find out, lemme know!

D!

Yes, my cohorts and I will ask for an early morning release - we have not decided on a time, but hopefully, the reviewers will be able to accomodate our request.

Yes, hopefully the best reviewers in all of geocaching will be able to accommodate your request. Do I need to tune up my Jeep? I know it's not a Toyota, but I'd like to stop and find the caches. :smile:

So will we be able to do this series and still make this event: Everybody is Welcome on Top of Double Peak?

Don't tell me... The "Rusty Altoid Tin" series?!? :D

So will we be able to do this series and still make this event: Everybody is Welcome on Top of Double Peak?

Looks like there would be time to find *some* of the caches and still make the event. Of course, this is purely speculation. B)

From what I hear, it's gonna be an early release (if our wonderful and most gracious reviewers don't mind, of course).

D!

That depends how fast you can run or pedal a bike. :lol:

Dropped most of my containers today - waiting for my cohorts to finish theirs.

No off-road vehicles allowed, but easy peasy for hikers and bikers.

More info tomorrow. B)

More info tomorrow. B)

who gets to beta test them?

Don't tell me... The "Rusty Altoid Tin" series?!? B)

That depends how fast you can run or pedal a bike. :P

More info tomorrow. :lol:

The cohorts! :D

More info tomorrow. :P

:lol: it was a nice try anyways. are you a cohort D!?

More info tomorrow. :lol:

:P it was a nice try anyways. are you a cohort D!?

What's a cohort? :lol:

The Oregon is different and takes a bit of getting used to, but we love ours. We have the 550t. We found this weekend that the terrain map is in relief (shaded), with no elevation lines, so I couldn't tell how high the climb was...there may be a way to change this, but if not, the terrain maps are of little help and you'd be better to buy the 550 and save the extra $100.

Buying from REI is definitely the way to go...we've had a total of 3 Oregons now, the two previous broke and were instantly replaced by REI.

Check out the free Ca Topo map from Laura Sanborn offered at GPSFileDepot. If your GPS behaves like mine, you'll be able to view 1:24K topo maps simultaneously with your Garmin maps.

Check out the free Ca Topo map from Laura Sanborn offered at GPSFileDepot. If your GPS behaves like mine, you'll be able to view 1:24K topo maps simultaneously with your Garmin maps.

Loaded it last night. Pretty nice!! I've never really had good topos before -- can't wait to see how it works on the trails...

By Sat 8p, we'll announce the trail location for the FTF hunters. We're asking for a 6a tee-time.

For now, I'll offer the area is north of the 52 and west of the 67 - some imiginary lines may have to be envisioned. We suggest a bike as the best mode of transportation. It's kid and canine friendly, and spread out among seven miles or so.

By Sat 8p, we'll announce the trail location for the FTF hunters. We're asking for a 6a tee-time.

For now, I'll offer the area is north of the 52 and west of the 67 - some imiginary lines may have to be envisioned. We suggest a bike as the best mode of transportation. It's kid and canine friendly, and spread out among seven miles or so.

:laughing: funny...that leaves about all of San Diego..........

Hmm, north of 52 and west of 67 ...

6e301455-d8b5-4c5e-a31a-d78fc7d5aaf2.jpg

From a purely technical point of view of an "and" condition.

I think the cohortian was trying to say North County, but just a guess. If I had Sunday off I'd be getting my bike ready. ;)

I'm not a technician, but your 52 needs to go west a little more. ;)

Okay, for technicians out there, try this, not east of the 67 and not south of the 52. :unsure:

Okay, okay, west of the 15 and not south of the 52.

Heading out to the Palomar Divide Truck Trail tomorrow with some newbiew. Please let me know if you'd like to join us! We'll be hitting the restaraunt in Santa Ysabel @ 9:00a.m. and will probably hit the trailhead at 10:15.

Robyn of Team Reid :laughing:

I've driven the trail before. As far as I can remember, it is doable in a 2WD vehicle with some clearance. I'll be taking my Jeep anyway.

I'm not a technician, but your 52 needs to go west a little more. ;)

Okay, for technicians out there, try this, not east of the 67 and not south of the 52. :unsure:

Okay, okay, west of the 15 and not south of the 52.

Ooo, cool ... new revelations.

San Luis Rey River Trail, in northern Oceanside. It's an official bike trail opened to pedestrian traffic, but no horseback or motorized vehicles. Dogs are allowed on a leash. Trail starts at N33 12.002 W117 23.121 and ends at N33 15.255 W117 17.468 . The reviewers have promised a 6a publication time. I believe the final tally is 49 traditional caches.

Edited by Chuy!