The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Guess I've been sleeping while the new "Waymarking" site has been cranking up. I found out the hard way when I recently submitted a new virtual for Yosemite NP, following our most recent visit in August. One of the No. Cal. admins suggested I read the FAQs and strive to place a real cache. I mentioned only virtuals are allowed in National Parks. I then got directed to Waymarking.com where I discovered the following "policy". Apparently I missed hearing the formal announcements that locationless and virtual caches are on their way out, with an actual sunset date for locationless (i.e. all locationless will be archived after 1 January 2006).

BTW, you must be a premium geocaching.com subscriber to access this website.

Anyone else think losing the opportunity to place virtuals is an issue?

-Gecko Dad :P

**** from the FAQ page ****

Waymarking and Geocaching

Waymarking was born out of our experience with Geocaching and in response to the huge interest created by locationless caches. The Geocaching.com website was never designed to support the unique challenges posed by these particular caches, so a new solution in Waymarking.com was born.

What happens to all the old locationless caches?

We are inviting all locationless cache owners to transfer their active cache to the new site, provided it fits within the general concept of Waymarking. We're giving a 2 month grace period for locationless cache owners to step up and convert their listings. After that it will be open season at Waymarking.com for these category themes. On January 1st, 2006, we will be archiving all locationless cache listings on Geocaching.com. All previous find logs will be preserved.

What about virtual caches?

No new virtual geocaches will be listed on Geocaching.com, but if there is a suitable category for submitting your location on Waymarking.com, please feel free to submit a new waymark. If you are a Premium Member and no category exists, you can create a new category for posting your waymark.

Guess I've been sleeping while the new "Waymarking" site has been cranking up.  I found out the hard way when I recently submitted a new virtual for Yosemite NP, following our most recent visit in August.  One of the No. Cal. admins suggested I read the FAQs and strive to place a real cache.  I mentioned only virtuals are allowed in National Parks.  I then got directed to Waymarking.com where I discovered the following "policy".  Apparently I missed hearing the formal announcements that locationless and virtual caches are on their way out, with an actual sunset date for locationless (i.e. all locationless will be archived after 1 January 2006).

BTW, you must be a premium geocaching.com subscriber to access this website.

Anyone else think losing the opportunity to place virtuals is an issue?

-Gecko Dad  :)

**** from the FAQ page ****

Waymarking and Geocaching

Waymarking was born

<snip>...

My .02: no love lost on virtuals here.

I feel that virtuals are a different animal compared to physical caches. I've always thought it odd that virts were tallied along with other caches. The core of geocaching (to me) is the physical log and the ability to trade some sort of item. I favor micros with a small container over log-only micros for the same reason.

As geocaching picks up more steam, caches are easier to come by. Its only natural to split off the variations and keep the core intact.

Regarding premium membership access to Waymarking.com, the log-in page states:

At this time, we are only allowing Geocaching.com Premium members to preview the Waymarking.com website. If you are not a Premium member, please check back in a couple of weeks when we open the site up to all types of members.

It implies that it will open to everyone shortly.

I like virtuals that are located in awesome locations that regular caches are not allowed. To me there are many varieties of caches like colors of the rainbow. Regular caches are blue, micros are green, virtuals are red, etc. Now geocaching will be only green and blue and those that like some other colors need to go elsewhere. In my opinion there was room for all, but it's a moot discussion because it's already happened. Since I'm into regular caches more, I'll stick with the current website for now. I wonder if they will move my virtual on the top of San Jacinto? That one has attacted visiting geocachers from all over the country. I love reading those logs, because those people all had a blast doing that one. It would be a shame if they move that one.

I forgot to ask if anyone want to go "Waymarking" this weekend? :)

Edited by TrailGators
I agree. I've learned a lot of interesting stuff from doing Virtual caches. "SD Historical 1890" was very educational.

The Virtuals I have found have been much more memorable than most of the parking lot micros I have found that seem to have no purpose at all -- I already knew there was a Wal-Mart there . . . except to allow me to get another "smilie." :)

I will never look at a lightpost cover in a parking lot the same way ever again! :)

Don't get me wrong, "virtuals" aren't a waste of time and they are valuable. There are many places that people might not go if it we're for the info in a virt. I do feel that they have less to do with Geocaching and more to do with, um...Waypointing? :)

How about reverse caches? Now there's a waste of time/bandwidth. Take a picture of something you just happened to see, but be sure to include a pic of your GPSr so it counts.

Pull-ease!

Help! we've been held captives in Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park, and Camden, Maine as well as Cape Cod, and Providence, RI. Our captives have forced us to kayak, sail, mountain bike, hike, Geocache, and even gorge on New England seafood.

Please, o please notify authorities. We can't take it any more.

Harmon & Sandy

Edited by SD Rowdies
Don't get me wrong, "virtuals" aren't a waste of time and they are valuable. There are many places that people might not go if it we're for the info in a virt. I do feel that they have less to do with Geocaching and more to do with, um...Waypointing? :)

How about reverse caches? Now there's a waste of time/bandwidth. Take a picture of something you just happened to see, but be sure to include a pic of your GPSr so it counts.

Pull-ease!

I agree about reverses. Those belong on a different website. However, I still do not agree about virtuals. I think the GS rule changes have improved the quality of new virtuals. They do require a GPS and many are very enjoyable. So in my opinion virtuals should still count as a finds on our site! I don't know about others but I really don't want to go to another site to log virtuals or to log anything for that matter. Maybe they'll rethink things if the new site is a flop.

I am not going to visit a different site to see if there is something I can log that won't count towards my stats on GC.com . . . :laughing:

Well, I recently recieved an email from the man....jeremy irish. He said that the possibility of Waymarking finds counting towards GC is still up in the air. me? I think it is dumb. I like virtuals, I like places they take you to and the things you can possibly learn at them, but I don't like having to log in at another website and then searching there for the right "mark".

I, too, like virtuals. Especially when going on a trip. You see things you wouldn't know existed otherwise.

It is a big enough pain to go thru a whole vacation route on one website & get the caches you think you want to visit. To have to do it on two websites....!! Ugh! I'm not too joyous about geocoins or WG$ for the same reason.

Help! we've been held captives in Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park, and Camden, Maine as well as Cape Cod, and Providence, RI. Our captives have forced us to kayak, sail, mountain bike, hike, Geocache, and even gorge on New England seafood.

Harmon & Sandy

Hope ya choke on a lobster!!!!!!!! <_<

(I mean that in the best possible way).:o

D! :laughing:

Edited by Duncan!

Harmon & Sandy

Hope ya choke on a lobster!!!!!!!! :blink:

(I mean that in the best possible way).:P

D! :blink:

:laughing: How about some photos Harmon? Let's see some evidence of your suffering! :D

Well- West Coast Admin must be a light sleeper. I submitted a cache last night around 12:30 am and it's approved by 7am. These approvals sure are getting fast.

My cache is about as close as you can get to Mexico without crossing the border illegally. In fact on the Mapquest map it shows the cache in Mexico. It is interesting to look at the other maps and how they deal with the border. Yahoo's maps don't show the border at all when you pan in. GC maps show a line which may be a buffer zone and another line which looks like the real border.

No Hitchhiking Allowed (GCQKFK)

There are other caches in the area to make this a worthwhile trip. Despite the fact I've hit all the caches I still love to drive this trail. So if anyone wants to go- just ask. It's my favorite trail in SD (technically Imperial).

Other In-Ko-Pah caches

Thinking of You (GCG460) great view, very windy at times

From a mission to Iraq and more! (GCKY0E) Easiest of the bunch with great swag

Smuggler's Cave (GCE070)- classic SD, must do cache

Gould or Gold (GCKJ8W) toughest drive, great view, good swag

Rear View (GCF448) very funny

Paxton's Vacation Villa (GCHK89) toughest cache because of the rock climb- as close to a 5 terrain you can get without special equipment

Love the virtuals (agree with HelBob duo) wouldn't have know that Doc Holiday's grave is in colorado.

Hey! We've been there, too! :blink:

I took my parents on that cache and they absolutely loved it. It will be a shame if they move the virtuals away from GC. They should just grandfather in the old ones.

When I go on trips I prefer to do the virtuals because I learn a bit of the history of where I'm traveling through and I know I'm not going to waste a lot of time looking for a box. (Am I allowed to say that here?) If you're traveling with someone else who may not be a cacher it sure is an easier sell to stop at a place of significance than to just stop for a box.

Dave

Love the virtuals (agree with HelBob duo) wouldn't have know that Doc Holiday's grave is in colorado.

Hey! We've been there, too! :blink:

I took my parents on that cache and they absolutely loved it. It will be a shame if they move the virtuals away from GC. They should just grandfather in the old ones.

When I go on trips I prefer to do the virtuals because I learn a bit of the history of where I'm traveling through and I know I'm not going to waste a lot of time looking for a box. (Am I allowed to say that here?) If you're traveling with someone else who may not be a cacher it sure is an easier sell to stop at a place of significance than to just stop for a box.

Dave

Well said Dave! I feel the same way about "the box" sometimes! :blink:

Here is the main blurb explaining all the changes. Here are the major changes:

1) GC will be removing the virtual cache listing from geocaching.com in favor of new waymark categories for these listings.

2) Existing maintained virtuals on geocaching.com will be grandfathered on the web site, but we do not guarantee they will remain listed forever. We'll see how Waymarking goes.

3) Most likely web cam caches and Earthcaches will be moved to the Waymarking site. As with virtuals, existing maintained listings will remain active on geocaching.com for the near future.

Edited by TrailGators

That "Bearly There" cache certainly should have been a Traditional cache. :blink:

I don't know which "rest stop" Virtuals you went to, but one I stopped at, "1/2 to Bishop" (GCGF96), did require me to answer quite a few questions, however, there was a lot of interesting information presented there. I wouldn't have read all that history of the valley if the requirement had been to take a picture or answer a single question.

There was one other Virtual I went to that had no requirement at all, except to say you were there. I posted some pictures, because it is in a wonderful old mining town I had been through ten months earlier, before I knew about Geocaching. :blink:

"Mining Randsburg" (GC1B42).

(I would post the links except the site is too busy . . . :D )

People have talked about the "Wow" factor for Virtuals and I don't know how anyone judges that, however I think if the restrictions on Virtuals had just been tightened up a bit, Virtuals could have, and should have, stayed on GC.com. JMHO :blink:

Took the "virtuals" littered highways up to Yosemite and back this weekend and I have to say...some of them have to go!! Just to give you an idea of just how insane some of the virtuals can get, look at this one Bearly There Ummm....a dead bear virtual? :blink:

Also, why do you need to answer so many darn questions to prove you've been to the "rest stop" virtual !! :blink::D Gheeesh :ph34r:

That virtual was placed before the rules were tightened about 2 years ago. I'm sure it would not be allowed these days since it has no "wow factor". Regardless, the best advice is to skip caches that don't appeal to you! There are good and bad ones of all types. So my point is that we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater! :blink:

That virtual was placed before the rules were tightened about 2 years ago. I'm sure it would not be allowed these days since it has no "wow factor".

Unfortunately I think they might have been made too tight. I tried to get a virtual in my home town but couldn't. Can't do virtuals while on vacation! Even tho I see several locals with older virtuals far & wide.

So what is the first capital of Colorado? Wrong! So was Dr. Quinn.

Took the "virtuals" littered highways up to Yosemite and back this weekend and I have to say...some of them have to go!!  Just to give you an idea of just how insane some of the virtuals can get, look at this one Bearly There Ummm....a dead bear virtual?  :D

Also, why do you need to answer so many darn questions to prove you've been to the "rest stop" virtual !!  :D  :)  Gheeesh  :D

IMHO, there are some outstanding virtuals in Yosemite and Yellowstone worthy of your consideration. Following are three that pass our "wow" test in Yosemite. There are a number of others, especially if you hit the trails. I would not generalize virtual postings based on the roadside sites you mention. There are obviously some lame ones out there. We tend to get very favorable posts for ours in the Valley area (particularly interesting are logs by international visitors).

I hope some of the good virtuals in our National Parks are allowed to stay live on Geocaching.com for awhile since it may be quite some time before Waymarking.com establishes a following.

-Gecko Dad

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?II...3ad&LID=9902697

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?II...0c7&LID=9887582

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?II...c76&LID=5992355

Took the "virtuals" littered highways up to Yosemite and back this weekend and I have to say...some of them have to go!!  Just to give you an idea of just how insane some of the virtuals can get, look at this one Bearly There Ummm....a dead bear virtual?  :D

Also, why do you need to answer so many darn questions to prove you've been to the "rest stop" virtual !!  :D  :D  Gheeesh  :wub:

IMHO, there are some outstanding virtuals in Yosemite and Yellowstone worthy of your consideration. Following are three that pass our "wow" test in Yosemite. There are a number of others, especially if you hit the trails. I would not generalize virtual postings based on the roadside sites you mention. There are obviously some lame ones out there. We tend to get very favorable posts for ours in the Valley area (particularly interesting are logs by international visitors).

I hope some of the good virtuals in our National Parks are allowed to stay live on Geocaching.com for awhile since it may be quite some time before Waymarking.com establishes a following.

-Gecko Dad

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?II...3ad&LID=9902697

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?II...0c7&LID=9887582

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?II...c76&LID=5992355

Those are the type of caches I love doing! Thanks for sharing those Don! :)

I agree 1000% .... It would be nice to have a "seperate" NPS virtuals category for this reason. All other virtuals would then make their way to Waymarking.com

We need to keep the NPS virtuals !!!!!!

BTW. I did some power hiking in Yosemite on Friday.....a total of 21 miles from Happy Isles on the Yosemite Canyon floor to Tuolumne Meadows in a little under 10 hours and ~6000ft of elevation change......ouch!! :D I did take "some" time to do some cool virtuals and photo's :)

I'll be back for sure!!

PW

Edited by PassingWind
I agree 1000% .... It would be nice to have a "seperate" NPS virtuals category for this reason. All other virtuals would then make their way to Waymarking.com

BTW. I did some power hiking in Yosemite on Friday.....a total of 21 miles from Happy Isles on the Yosemite Canyon floor to Tuolumne Meadows in a little under 10 hours and ~6000ft of elevation change......ouch!! :D I did take "some" time to do some cool virtuals and photo's :)

I'll be back for sure!!

PW

There are also "good" virtuals like those located in State parks....

BTW. I did some power hiking in Yosemite on Friday.....a total of 21 miles from Happy Isles on the Yosemite Canyon floor to Tuolumne Meadows in a little under 10 hours and ~6000ft of elevation change......ouch!!  :D  I did take "some" time to do some cool virtuals and photo's  :wub:

Man, you make me tired just reading what you wrote! :D The Cedar Creek hike was hard enough for us wimps. :D:)

BTW. I did some power hiking in Yosemite on Friday.....a total of 21 miles from Happy Isles on the Yosemite Canyon floor to Tuolumne Meadows in a little under 10 hours and ~6000ft of elevation change......ouch!!  :)  I did take "some" time to do some cool virtuals and photo's  :wub:

Man, you make me tired just reading what you wrote! :D The Cedar Creek hike was hard enough for us wimps. :D:)

Hey, I was one of those wimps! :D The killer that day was the heat! It made that hike out twice as hard as it should have been! Anyhow, anyone that puts in the time can build up to do those hikes too! We just don't have the time! :huh:

Harmon & Sandy

Hope ya choke on a lobster!!!!!!!! :D

(I mean that in the best possible way).:D

D! :)

:D How about some photos Harmon? Let's see some evidence of your suffering! :wub:

We're back! Just in by way of Hartford, Connecticut.

Thanks for your support on our captivity and related ordeal. Had little access to the Internet so couldn't lay it on as thick, sorry, as completely as I wanted to.

Was also held captive in Madison, CT for two days and forced to go Geocaching and eat a lot of home-made chowder and home-grown-peaches pie. How's that for a combo' plate?

Honest, it was terrible. Proof-positive photos to follow after a night of deep sleep.

Harmon & Sandy

Edited by SD Rowdies

BTW. I did some power hiking in Yosemite on Friday.....a total of 21 miles from Happy Isles on the Yosemite Canyon floor to Tuolumne Meadows in a little under 10 hours and ~6000ft of elevation change......ouch!!  :(  I did take "some" time to do some cool virtuals and photo's  :(

Man, you make me tired just reading what you wrote! :lol: The Cedar Creek hike was hard enough for us wimps. :lol::(

YOu two did great on the Cedar Falls trail!!!!! :lol:

BTW. I did some power hiking in Yosemite on Friday.....a total of 21 miles from Happy Isles on the Yosemite Canyon floor to Tuolumne Meadows in a little under 10 hours and ~6000ft of elevation change......ouch!!  :(  I did take "some" time to do some cool virtuals and photo's  :(

Man, you make me tired just reading what you wrote! :lol: The Cedar Creek hike was hard enough for us wimps. ;):lol:

YOu two did great on the Cedar Falls trail!!!!! :(

lol You're so funny! :lol: We were some of the first ones to head back up but some of the last ones to make it. :( Thanks for the compliment, tho.

BTW. I did some power hiking in Yosemite on Friday.....a total of 21 miles from Happy Isles on the Yosemite Canyon floor to Tuolumne Meadows in a little under 10 hours and ~6000ft of elevation change......ouch!!  :rolleyes:  I did take "some" time to do some cool virtuals and photo's  :cry:

I'll be back for sure!!

PW

Glad to hear others are on the same sheet per special case of the National Parks. I wonder how we might initiate a "class action" petition to retain NPS virtuals and possibly reopen opportunities for new ones in the Parks as long as they meet minimum quality criteria. I have a couple queued up and am not inclined to pursue the Waymarking option, at least yet.

Looking forward to your new Yosemite postings and photos, PW. Sounds like a fine Gecko-quality hike. <_<

-GD

I could have hidden an ammo box for this one but a virtual requiring only a photo next to "the sign" seemed like such a better idea!

So far there have been 31 visitors and they all seemed to really enjoy doing this virtual!

Here are a couple of the photos from the cache page:

3b068c25-0671-415d-bdd3-b90976ff56c8.jpg

a4f166a7-22e1-4a45-a0e0-fdfbf5cbf4a0.jpg

* This one is not in a National Park so I guess it wouldn't qualify for the special NPS series.

** My point in posting this is that I do think caches like this should be allowed to remain on geocaching.com!

Where's the GPS ?!

You might find this website interesting, I'm ordering for some of the peaks I've "bagged".

Benchmarks I've even seen these used as travel bugs!

Cheers, PW

It's in his pocket! Can't you see it? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link to the trinkets. To be honest I have way too many trickets laying around my house already. So I'm content just to have the memories and the the photos. <_<