Stolen Cache, what should I do next?

Hello everyone,

I do hope I'm putting this in the correct section!

A few weeks back, I became aware that someone had moved one of my Caches. They hadn't moved it far, but it was no longer hidden (dumped at the side of a path). And, a few people who had tried to find it were understandably confused, as it wasn't where I said it was. I visited the location and placed the cache back in its original location. And, at the time I was annoyed by this, so I left a message in the activity section of the cache's page on the app stating this was a memorial cache (for my grandad) please don't move it - if you have a problem with the location, please message me to discuss this. Unfortunately, it appears this message may have upset someone as the cache has now gone missing. 

My questions are, should I just place a new container in the original location and hope for the best?

Or, should I archive the cache and start it again in a new location? - I did note some other possible locations for a replacement near to the original's location which may be better. 

Thanks

Matt

I would place a new cache in the original location but not straight away, instead, I'd wait a few weeks then do it. If it goes missing again I would assume the spot as compromised and start looking for a new spot and archive the old one.

By all means mention the memorial aspect but realise some cachers may resent being told what they should or should not do. It's a given that a cache should be replaced where found.

• Helpful 1
7 hours ago, MattDitch91 said:

Unfortunately, it appears this message may have upset someone as the cache has now gone missing. 

First of all I'm sorry your memorial cache went missing. However I think it's a stretch to think a geocacher did this because they were upset at your log. After reading the cache page and logs my first guess would be that a muggle took it. 

• Helpful 2
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

First of all I'm sorry your memorial cache went missing. However I think it's a stretch to think a geocacher did this because they were upset at your log. After reading the cache page and logs my first guess would be that a muggle took it. 

I agree, if the cache was dumped on the side of the path it was more likely to be muggles (probably bored teenagers looking to spoil other people's fun) than a cacher. I've occasionally had a cache not quite rehidden in the way I intended (either too poorly or too well concealed) but just dumping it somewhere nearby, no, that's a step too far for most cachers I think.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
4 hours ago, MattDitch91 said:

Thank you for the replies. I think I will archive this one and start a new one nearby. Which, I will make premium only.  

Unless you're in a hurry to have more caches stolen, you could place one and wait a while before submitting it.

Some of my caches are in empty areas, empty because nobody could keep a cache there.  When I think it's ready, I test it by having a container hidden where I intend, and with a dollar bill inside.   And I leave it in place for as long as 6 months.  Some places such as a soccer complex might have a championship once a year, and that's when there are crowds, and bored kids poking around.  Some seemingly remote spots develop "partiers" at times.  Anyway, if a cache is molested while not activated, it's not in a good spot.  So it's good to give it some time.

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 4
5 hours ago, MattDitch91 said:

Thank you for the replies. I think I will archive this one and start a new one nearby. Which, I will make premium only.  

Curious...  By pics it looks like there's few options to hide...   I might spot it (if it's truly a small...) biking by.  Others might too.

If starting a new one nearby, does the property now belong to another?

Having problems with a new owner maybe?  Someone who owns the property now, and not when you asked for permission?

Realize that a PM won't matter if you don't have permission to hide there in the first place.  :) 

Folks like to blame the "new, basic guy...", when it could be a curious neighbor as well.

• Helpful 1

Has anyone else had someone not just steal but replace a cache container? I just had to replace one a few weeks ago but was getting weird notes about it after the first few days (missing log, container shape) and went to check it today and someone actually put a different container (smaller & cheap plastic) in it's place. I get the muggle thing but what really gets me is someone knowing enough to leave a container but thinking stealing the other is ok.

I'm really sorry to hear OP's memorial one was taken, that's even worse, in my opinion. Thanks to everyone who posted tips, they all seem like good ideas for doing another location if I decide to.

5 hours ago, vKet said:

not just steal but replace a cache container?

In your case, i would consider that maybe it was NOT taken by a cacher, but instead went missing - for whatever reason, the usual reasons do not involve theft by cachers -  and the next seeker, rather than log a DNF, simply dropped a throwdown LINKY

To your question, yes,  an ammo can  cache of mine was removed, and a large camo painted pretzel jar was left in its place.  They transferred everything, original log and goodies.  So they had the original in hand when they left the plastic awkward container;  small mouth, big jar, shallow threaded lid.  Just putting some green paint on this thing doesn't make a pig's ear into a silk purse.

I didn't know until a NM was logged (soggy).   I walked out and checked it. Wow, just wow. Someone thought it was okay to take my quality container that would last in good condition for at least 6 years, and leave a free jar that wasn't going to survive for a single summer.  

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
53 minutes ago, Isonzo Karst said:

To your question, yes,  an ammo can  cache of mine was removed, and a large camo painted pretzel jar was left in its place.  They transferred everything, original log and goodies.  So they had the original in hand when they left the plastic awkward container;  small mouth, big jar, shallow threaded lid.  Just putting some green paint on this thing doesn't make a pig's ear into a silk purse.

I didn't know until a NM was logged (soggy).   I walked out and checked it. Wow, just wow. Someone thought it was okay to take my quality container that would last in good condition for at least 6 years, and leave a free jar that wasn't going to survive for a single summer.  

:sad:

Thanks for the info on throwdowns. This is my first hide and there's a lot I don't know. It's possible that's what happened, the timing just seems weird, because it got switched less than a week after I placed the new cache. Regardless, it looks like I need to mark mine disabled until I decide how to go forward. 

It's a similar situation with the containers, however. Mine was resealable, water resistant, and had (I thought so anyway) cool swag, etc. What got placed was a cheap piece of plastic that barely fits anything and will get soaked quickly. At least some kind cacher added a new log for me... 🤷‍♀️

Thanks again for the help, it's much appreciated!

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, vKet said:

It's a similar situation with the containers, however. Mine was resealable, water resistant, and had (I thought so anyway) cool swag, etc. What got placed was a cheap piece of plastic that barely fits anything and will get soaked quickly. At least some kind cacher added a new log for me... 🤷‍♀️

Curious...  You do know you can change the size, right?   The only thing you can't change is the cache type.

• Helpful 1
3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Curious...  You do know you can change the size, right?   The only thing you can't change is the cache type.

Yes, this container that was just taken was already a replacement of the very first container that had been placed and I had used a slightly larger container than the first one, so I could fit more into it 😊

18 hours ago, vKet said:

Yes, this container that was just taken was already a replacement of the very first container that had been placed and I had used a slightly larger container than the first one, so I could fit more into it 😊

Well, it's no longer a micro by your log ("A bit bigger container so not really 'micro' "), and a write note doesn't change the cache size on the cache page. 

You'd need to edit your cache page to do that.   :)

• Helpful 1