Double logs

Max and 99

36 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

This week I've noticed on several different geocaches on the app instances of double finds. 

Some of my caches had instances of at least 4 identical Found It logs on a row.  I guess entirely App related.  Three or four years ago?  But the system is designed to cap them at 1 Find log now.

Are you seeing “double finds” within the App itself?

Edited by kunarion
9 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I thought that the first one I noticed was recent and when I looked on the website there was no double log it was just showing on the app. 

I'll pay closer attention the next time it happens. 

I hardly ever use the Android App to make a log, and it’s likely to internally have some major programming differences from IOS.  And, maybe the connection issue still pops up.  The theory was that a data problem could create clones of logs.  The servers now intercept the excess logs, but it’s possible that the App still sends them at times.

If you can get a screenshot sometime, post it.

Edited by kunarion

Can I send it to you privately so I don't have to edit everything out?

I went back to confirm I had the right geocache and then there was only one log. I went back to the map and then to activity and there's two logs again. So I don't know what's triggering it but it's not very consistent.

Edited by Max and 99
1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

Can I send it to you privately so I don't have to edit everything out?

I went back to confirm I had the right geocache and then there was only one log. I went back to the map and then to activity and there's two logs again. So I don't know what's triggering it but it's not very consistent.

Sure, but remember that I probably can’t fix it. :cute:

I’m also not using a Droid phone lately.  But I can test some logs in the Android App to see what happens.

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

With the exception of one time it's always just one geocacher per geocache that has a double log. One time I think I remember seeing a double log for two different people, but there's always a chance I imagined that. 

I'll watch for that effect.  Maybe it happened when I didn't really notice.

16 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Just out of curiosity what did Groundspeak stop allowing more than one find it per cache?

The New App would send a handful of Found It logs in a row sometimes.  About the time such reports were rolling in, viola!  ...the system was set up for one Find per cache.  Maybe TPTB had a plan in the works for a while, and pulled the switch due to the multiple log thing.

I'm needing a date for the "only one Found it per cache" since anything after that would fall under the instances of this glitch. But it's impossible to tell without a date. I'll start googling. 

Found it. May 8, 2017

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/344276-release-notes-website-logging-rules-may-8-2017/

Edited by Max and 99
7 hours ago, worrellsquirrel said:

Can you please provide some affected GC codes and/or screenshots? Also, what device are you using? Thank you.

Sure I'll resend those. Pixel 3a Android 12. I have many examples. Unlike the other issue I reported this one does not affect my playing the game at all! It's just an observation. I thought just maybe it was related to my other issue of caches not loading (100% of them are my puzzle caches or puzzle caches I have solved and found), which DOES affect my geocaching. Something tells me they're related. Clearly this is not anything important and apparently I'm the only one experiencing it. 

Screenshot_20220125-013538.png

Screenshot_20220125-013532.png

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 1/26/2022 at 7:58 PM, Max and 99 said:

Sure I'll resend those. Pixel 3a Android 12. I have many examples. Unlike the other issue I reported this one does not affect my playing the game at all! It's just an observation. I thought just maybe it was related to my other issue of caches not loading (100% of them are my puzzle caches or puzzle caches I have solved and found), which DOES affect my geocaching. Something tells me they're related. Clearly this is not anything important and apparently I'm the only one experiencing it. 

Screenshot_20220125-013538.png

Screenshot_20220125-013532.png

OK, I can confirm the bug and it's freaky!  I went to view that same cache and that log, and got the exact same thing as pictured above, double logs by "jaruti".  But I didn't take a screen shot because it's the same.  I next went to my PC to type this reply, and how I got exactly what you got, and now there's no double log.  It's just the single Found log.  I tried a bunch of things and it was unchanging, so I reset my Droid.  When I returned again to that log, the one above it has the double log, the log by "Banditgirl".  Have you seen the double log ever change to a different double log, for example the one above the previous double log?

I returned to the cache description, clicked "Activity" a 2nd time, no difference.  Third attempt caused the double log to vanish.

Pulling the screen down (Refresh) caused that Banditgirl double log to reappear, and it's persistent.  I'm not getting it to vanish and return, it stays as a double log.  It's now always that Banditgirl double log for me.  Weird!

If I go to "Activity" and then return to the logs, the double log is gone again.  And it's back with "Refresh".

One more thing that may be a clue:

The double log happens at the 2nd page of "loading more logs", the annoying points where log scrolling pauses for a moment.  And a new found-it log was posted on the 27th, which adds lines of text, and therefore changes the point where new logs are loaded while scrolling.  Could it be a bug somehow related to this "Loading" feature?

But I didn't immediately see any other double logs.

Now that I have a feel for how to make double logs come and go, I tried "Activity" on one of my own caches, and could not cause a double log to occur.

This is using Samsung's flagship tablet Samsung Galaxy S7+.

The App shows this:

Version 8.66.1

Android 12

samsung SM-T970

thumbnail-(1).jpg

Edited by kunarion

Is it possible that the 2017 App glitch that posted multiple logs in a row onto The Web Site still exists?  If so, only particular logs are affected, the ones that were sent multiple times (during a bad data connection). 

But the web site only shows one, so is this a database thing?  Are there in fact still multiple logs which The App is designed to suppress, and it sometimes lets one slip?  I don't know how that could be, without also messing up Stats.  Just throwing it out there.

Like I said earlier considering I'm the only one who WAS seeing this and I'm also experiencing major loading errors on my puzzles and puzzles I have solved I can't help but wonder if they are related. 

When I go to that posted geocache now the double log is for bandit girl. Refreshing the cache page sometimes keeps it and sometimes brings it back. But I have found many many examples of the double logs, which doesn't say much but at least my phone is consistent. I was trying to see a pattern on cache type etc. Previously I never saw the username change for the double log but maybe I had not given enough time for someone else to log it and affect that. 

I have lots of screenshots from when I first reported this issue. I sent a whole bunch of them to kunarion. Just a reminder,  in case you didn't very far back: they are NOT double logs, they just appear as double logs. And like I stated, it does not affect my game play! It's just an observation that the issue has returned.

Three times I have seen a split double log, with someone else's log between them. 

The most recent I noticed:

GC7THRP

Team Coyote 4/18/22

GC7THTP

de Beus 3/21/20

GC816JK

HoustonControl 10/21/20

And I just checked the first cache I noticed this on, and it also shows a double log:

GC3TQ7M

AEMOKC 3/20/22

Edited by Max and 99

I can confirm it yet again!  Wow, this is a blast from the past...

I tried GC89E6X because I had previously seen the effect there in the logs.  And it's exactly the same duplicate as I posted here on 1/28/22.  That same exact Found log... two real-looking logs, one after the other, and one of them is mistakenly being placed there by The App.

It's on my Android App only (as before), and tonight on my Samsung S22 phone as well as the Samsung Galaxy S7+ Tablet.  A refresh of the page does not clear the duplicate.  It looks like two genuine identical logs.  But it's an App artifact.  There is only one log in the system, which I can verify on the IOS App or the web site.  The Android App is again placing convincing duplicate Find logs into the Activity list.

One important thing is, I don't use my tablet all that much for Geocaching, at least not the App.  And maybe just a little more often on my phone.  So I can't tell if the bug is back or if it never actually went away.  It's behaving exactly like it did last year.  But I also haven't yet tested all things I mentioned in my previous post.  I just thought I'd post this new discovery while it's being brought up again.

I haven't tried the other GC codes mentioned yet.  I tested a bunch of randomly selected local caches earlier this evening when I first saw this thread, and saw no duplicates.  It's prominent, even consistent, on specific logs on specific cache pages for an unknown reason.

Edited by kunarion
9 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I just discovered an even rarer instance:

A double log separated by two different logs. 

Last year I saw a duplicate, reloaded, and then the log above it was the duplicate instead.  So they do tend to... jump around.  It happens at the point where the page scrolling has a pause, as if "the App is waiting for more logs to load".  But only at specific places, not every time it "pauses".

[EDIT]:  It's the same whether I use the phone data or connect to wifi.  There are 2 logs in a row, and the extra log won't clear upon reload, but will occasionally clear at random.  I thought it was a "slow data" issue, but seems to be the same regardless of data slowness, or how fast I scroll the logs, or whatever.  I haven't tested resetting the phone or anything more drastic.

Edited by kunarion

Right after I verified Double Log just now,  I returned to GC89E6X cache activity, and there's now only the real log.  I hadn't performed any action that may fix it.

And it randomly appeared a few more times.  Double Log seems to appear or disappear at random, but tends to remain.

I'm seeing the exact same thing that Max and 99 mentioned.  At least these:

GC7THRP

Team Coyote 4/18/22

GC7THTP

de Beus 3/21/20

GC89E6X

Banditgirl 2/13/20

It's time-consuming to document every change in everything in real-time.  I may go back and check only GC89E6X, because I already documented the effect, and it's exactly the same today.  But the Double Log may shift to the log above or below it, or Double Logs may have a single log between them.  Or the effect may clear up for no reason.  Today it seems to be rather consistent.

As an example of the weirdness, as Max and 99 said, here's 

GC7THRP

Team Coyote 4/18/22

The Double Log is separated by a single log.

image.thumb.jpeg.d548f925a14bbe651156017ecab80552.jpeg

Edited by kunarion
  • Surprised 1

This is really strange! I got a notification that someone had found a geocache I had found. So I scrolled through the geocache on the app and heck if I could not find my log even though I knew about what month I found it. So I opened the cache page in the browser and I see when I found the geocache went back to the app activity and it's still not there. So now instead of double logs there are missing logs (in appearance only)

Found on 4-15-23.

https://coord.info/GC9W8M2

Screenshot_20231128-114419.thumb.png.853816f26b267f8bec93783d6eb8e2fd.png

___

Screenshot_20231128-114336.thumb.png.618d17623bb3488e9ef40e87b4085a62.png

Edited by Max and 99