Puzzle Caches

ohana05

A friend has finally (successfully) pushed me in to puzzle caches.  I am asking more seasoned cachers how you mark them when  you have solved them but haven't found them yet...  I am considering marking them as DNF's so that I can more easily remember to look for ones I've solved while I am out and about.... What do you do with puzzle caches you have solved but haven't yet retrieved?

• Surprised 5
13 minutes ago, ohana05 said:

A friend has finally (successfully) pushed me in to puzzle caches.  I am asking more seasoned cachers how you mark them when  you have solved them but haven't found them yet...  I am considering marking them as DNF's so that I can more easily remember to look for ones I've solved while I am out and about.... What do you do with puzzle caches you have solved but haven't yet retrieved?

On the cache page there's a pencil icon next to the coordinates where you can enter the solved coordinates for puzzles. When you do this a different icon will show on the geocaching map to help you identify that it's a solved puzzle (or multi). Once you find it, it'll return to the posted coordinates on the map with the yellow smiley. 

Is this kind of what you're asking?

Definitely do not log it as a dnf just to help you remember!!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 4
5 hours ago, ohana05 said:

As the owner of several hides, how would you feel if other people logged DNFs on your caches just to help them remember to go find it later? These DNFs also contribute to the cache health score, and even one DNF can trigger a notification from geocaching that your cache may need attention. And even if you put the reason for the DNF in your log so the cache owner knows they don't need to go check on it, the CHS does not read the content of those logs. 

I think using the corrected coordinate feature is the best option for being able to see them on the map and remember to go find them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

I am considering marking them as DNF's so that I can more easily remember to look for ones I've solved while I am out and about

Forgive my harshness, but that's pure nonsense. You'd better use the webpage feature :

Enter solved coordinates

Changes to these coordinates are only visible to you, not to other players.

Paste your comments into the Personal Cache Notes.

You can search and filter for caches with updated coordinates on the search page.

Hans

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, ohana05 said:

What do you do with puzzle caches you have solved but haven't yet retrieved?

I edit the coordinates, add comments to the personal cache note, and add the cache to my "solved unfound puzzles" bookmark list.

If there's too much info to fit in the personal cache note, then I put the info in a Google Doc document and put the URL in the personal cache note.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

To those of you with kind, informational responses.  Thank you so much for your help!  I hadn't noticed that the icons changed on the map.  Thankfully, I had edited coordinate for some that I solved on a rainy day --- just didn't go back and notice that the icon changed. 

For those of you with harsh judgement it's a game; you could try being inclusive. Just sayin'  

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
  • Surprised 1
2 hours ago, ohana05 said:

For those of you with harsh judgement it's a game; you could try being inclusive. Just sayin'  

Wreaking havoc by affecting others players by misusing tools available gives us an hard time to be inclusive with them. Our comment weren't harsh at all.

But I am wondering if you don't find a cache on the field you never log a DNF then? You were thinking using them for a completely different use.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ohana05 said:

To those of you with kind, informational responses.  Thank you so much for your help!  I hadn't noticed that the icons changed on the map.  Thankfully, I had edited coordinate for some that I solved on a rainy day --- just didn't go back and notice that the icon changed. 

Your proposed solution using a DNF needed to be nipped in the bud. Pronto. 

I'm glad that the solved coordinates/icon will now be helpful to you in the field! 

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

I saw most emphasizing a point on using the solved coordinates function, rather than misusing an action log.   

Misapplying DNFs might cause some COs to have their caches wrongly temp disabled or even archived because of low Cache Health Scores.

Thanks for your understanding.   :)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
8 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Wreaking havoc by affecting others players by misusing tools available gives us an hard time to be inclusive with them. Our comment weren't harsh at all.

But I am wondering if you don't find a cache on the field you never log a DNF then? You were thinking using them for a completely different use.

Didn't affect other players. Asked a question of the group before doing anything. Of course I log DNF's. Just did my first puzzle cache and asked a question. Cache on!

Edited by ohana05
  • Funny 2

I just load those I've solved to the 'Solved Puzzles' database I have in GSAK, and if not automatically updated by the site's checker, I correct the coordinates.  That database is later combined with the unfounds in my area as part of my own macro --- such that the ready-to-find puzzles are displayed on the map with the rest of the caches I need to find when I plan a cache day.  Another win for GSAK.