Jump to content

Possible orphaned TB found - no code - what should we do?


SpinRay
Followers 1

Recommended Posts

We are newbies so please go easy on us.  Sorry if we have violated some kind of rule by posting this.

 

My kids and I found this recently by our home near Madison WI.    Use TB3M4RB to reference this item.

 

(TB3M4RB) Travel Bug Dog Tag - CHERISH 2240 antique tag (geocaching.com)

 

We tried to log this but found that we need a secret tracking code that it does not have.  We even went back to the cache to see if we missed it or it came off.  It does have a red ribbon on it that appears to perhaps come untied from something.  I checked the log of the cache and no there is no mention of this either.  It does not look like this has been logged since 2012 if I am reading it correctly.   It is really a mystery how it got from Arizona to here.  

 

The owner has not been active since 2017.  We reached out to two people who logged it explained the situation and asked for advice.  We did not receive a response.  I was thinking perhaps we could put the code back on this and move it on it's way.  Perhaps that is some kind of faux pas, and therefore they did not respond.  Perhaps I need to post a picture of it with todays newspaper to show our bonafides.

 

Here was the log post we had written up but could not use:

 

>>>>>>>>>>>

We found this and thought it was potentially some swag to swap.  My son saw the numbers and suggested it maybe a trackable.  He was right - this is our first trackable!  We were excited to find this page learn more about it.    It appears this was picked up in Arizona some time ago (2012) and brought to Wisconsin somehow.  How could it possibly get here?  My son was 1 at the time this was originally placed, neat prospective for a 10-year-old to think about.  Maybe even somewhat philosophical :-)

 

It was found in a small park dedicated as a war memorial to the fallen soldiers from Fitchburg WI.  We read the signage at the statue and thought about the people’s names and what it means to us.  We are truly grateful to all who serve and keep us safe.  We appreciate your service.  

 

I assume this was pocketed a few times by people who did not realize it was a trackable.   We are newbies, so not sure if this is typical.  We will place it and forward it on its journey.  Thank you to the original person who placed it and the kind person who placed it near us. 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

We are trying to do the right thing here.   We are new and this is the 1st travel bug we have found, so we are learning.  My kids feel like it is important to keep it moving.  We also appreciate the original owners "Idea-ology" encouraging people to think philosophical thoughts.  

 

Any advice appreciated.  We are willing to adopt this and move it forward / maintain the TB.  Our intent is to "Cherish" the tag and keep it going.   Thank you for any/all help.

 

Cherish 2240.jpg

Edited by SpinRay
clarity
  • Funny 1
Link to comment

Those things were simply meant to be "chits" swapped for equipment, so folks knew where stuff was.  Numbers match an employee ID.  :)

 I used them for equipment in prison. I wasn't an inmate...

 

Curious how you knew to look up the Reference Number to even know this was trackable, or where to start.  That doesn't make sense (to me)...

Since it hasn't been logged since 2012, and it does have the Travel Bug Dog Tag icon ... I'd say this was an attachment to a Travel Bug tag.

That ribbon might have held the tag or a proxy, and now gone.  Odd though that it'd travel at all without anyone logging it...

 

To "Adopt" a trackable, you need the owner's permission.  Of course you'd need the tracking code too...   ;)

 

Link to comment

Are you saying it in fact has the inscribed reference number "TB3M4RB" but no Tracking Code?  In that case, you can make a log note.  You can't make other logs without the Tracking Code.  The original TB Dogtag is the part that makes it an official trackable item.

 

 

Edited by kunarion
Link to comment
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

Those things were simply meant to be "chits" swapped for equipment, so folks knew where stuff was.  Numbers match an employee ID.  :)

 I used them for equipment in prison. I wasn't an inmate...

 

Curious how you knew to look up the Reference Number to even know this was trackable, or where to start.  That doesn't make sense (to me)...

Since it hasn't been logged since 2012, and it does have the Travel Bug Dog Tag icon ... I'd say this was an attachment to a Travel Bug tag.

That ribbon might have held the tag or a proxy, and now gone.  Odd though that it'd travel at all without anyone logging it...

 

To "Adopt" a trackable, you need the owner's permission.  Of course you'd need the tracking code too...   ;)

 

Hi - thank you for the feedback.  I simply googled Cherish 2240 and it took me right to the geocaching page.  Give it a try - it is the first result.   We were simply looking for more information - nothing nefarious.  I got the reference number for the page.   Hope it makes sense now :-)

 

I though that was the travel bug.... and the attached was a code.    I though that is what the page referenced.  I agree it is odd.  Since the owner and code are MIA it is simply defunct?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

Are you saying it in fact has the inscribed reference number "TB3M4RB" but no Tracking Code?  In that case, you can make a log note.  You can't make other logs without the Tracking Code.  The original TB Dogtag is the part that makes it an official trackable item.

 

 

Hi -  there is no code.  the other side is blank.  I simply added that so it was easy to find - seemed important.  I copied and pasted that from the page I linked above.

 

Ok - I have not made a log note before.  Is it possible this is not the one from Arizona and a random look alike?  If it is that one, it is a shame that it's journey will end.

 

Thanks for your help.  

 

edit - it looks like the "write note" (assuming that is what you meant by log note) requires the tracking code as well.

Edited by SpinRay
log note
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

It does not.

Ok - I did not try, but I saw the filed for it.  I can add that too the log.  

 

To be clear - There is simply nothing else that can be done with it?  i.e. it cannot be tracked further.   Seems a shame.

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, SpinRay said:

Ok - I did not try, but I saw the filed for it.  I can add that too the log.  

 

To be clear - There is simply nothing else that can be done with it?  i.e. it cannot be tracked further.   Seems a shame.

If you can think of anything go for it! 

  • Surprised 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

If you can think of anything go for it! 

Well - I was hoping there was some kind of mechanism to keep this moving.  We are new, and are not really sure how things work.  I suppose things like this happen frequently.  It's our first one, so we were excited to log it and watch it move along.   I guess it will fall into the swag + category.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, SpinRay said:

Hi -  there is no code.  the other side is blank.  I simply added that so it was easy to find - seemed important.  I copied and pasted that from the page I linked above.

 

Ok - I have not made a log note before.  Is it possible this is not the one from Arizona and a random look alike?  If it is that one, it is a shame that it's journey will end.

 

It might be a look-alike craft item.  Sometimes a TB dogtag falls off an attachment and it's in the container under all the junk.  The token in the photo really looks more like a swag/trade item.   But I guess if the tag was attached to the ribbon, that's why it fell off!

 

For a couple of my recent attachments, I engrave the Reference Number (the one that starts with "TB") onto the attachment, in case it gets separated from the TB tag.  That's not a flawless idea, especially if people mistake the Reference Number for a Tracking Code.  As you see, the logs work differently with the two codes.  We'll see how it goes.

  • Helpful 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, SpinRay said:

Well - I was hoping there was some kind of mechanism to keep this moving.  We are new, and are not really sure how things work.  I suppose things like this happen frequently.  It's our first one, so we were excited to log it and watch it move along.   I guess it will fall into the swag + category.

I would go as far as to contact the owner and the last several people who have logged it. After that I wouldn't know what else to do. I personally would hold on to that swag for a little bit just in case I get good news back from someone I contacted. I wish there was more I could suggest!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I would go as far as to contact the owner and the last several people who have logged it. After that I wouldn't know what else to do. I personally would hold on to that swag for a little bit just in case I get good news back from someone I contacted. I wish there was more I could suggest!

Indeed, as indicated above.  It has been about a week with no reply.

 

Thank you for your help.  I did add the log note as you suggested.

Link to comment
18 hours ago, SpinRay said:

 I simply googled Cherish 2240 and it took me right to the geocaching page.  Give it a try - it is the first result.  

17 hours ago, SpinRay said:

Well - I was hoping there was some kind of mechanism to keep this moving.  We are new, and are not really sure how things work.  I suppose things like this happen frequently.  It's our first one, so we were excited to log it and watch it move along.   I guess it will fall into the swag + category.

:laughing:

This is one of those "Duh" things, not thinking about it at the time.  Clever.    :D

 

Usually we hear the attachments missing, and finding a tag by itself.  Especially if something like a cute toy in a kids cache...

Yep.  After a bit of a wait JIC that owner mails ...  Or, hang onto it as a remembrance of your first sorta, but not really trackable.   :)

 

Link to comment
18 hours ago, SpinRay said:

Indeed, as indicated above.  It has been about a week with no reply.

 

Thank you for your help.  I did add the log note as you suggested.

 

Post a Log (Write Note) the owner should get an email. A week in caching terms is a rather short time... Give it more time, and see if you get a reply.

  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
Link to comment

Solved!

 

Quote

Is it possible this is not the one from Arizona and a random look alike?

 

I'd say that a random look-alike is the most likely answer.

 

N4DTO0n.jpg

 

I was hunting through one of my local art shops and found the above packet of quote "coins". They're available on Amazon for about $7 (not sure if that's US currency or AUS).

 

As near as I can tell, it's identical to the one the OP found. It has that same wonky "E" as in the original photo, and the thickness variations in the second "H". If the one the OP found was swag or originally attached to another TB, then that seems the most likely origin to me. I assume there are a bunch of other TB's with Tim Holtz things attached as hitch hikers (the product line has a whole bunch of things I'd consider putting on a TB).

Edited by Unit473L
working out how to get the photo into the post, and added links
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 1
×
×
  • Create New...