Edited cache description - lag on app

GeoBoy88

I recently edited one of my cache descriptions.  After editing it, it updated my changes immediately on my online cache description (on my computer) but didn't on the app cache description (on my Android phone).  I waited a few hours to see if it was just a lag on the app but after a few hours it still hadn't updated on the app.  I tried closing the app and reopening it but still no update.  I then tried deleting and reinstalling the Geocaching app and that showed the update.  That worked but who wants to do that on a regular basis?

Thinking that the lag for the app to show the edit was maybe just longer than the few hours I had waited, I tested this again by making a second edit to my cache description and waited overnight.  It has now been 14 hours since I made the edit but it still hasn't updated.

Does anyone know if there is a certain lag period before edited descriptions for caches actually update or what the issue might be with this?  

11 minutes ago, GeoBoy88 said:

I recently edited one of my cache descriptions.  After editing it, it updated my changes immediately on my online cache description (on my computer) but didn't on the app cache description (on my Android phone).  I waited a few hours to see if it was just a lag on the app but after a few hours it still hadn't updated on the app.  I tried closing the app and reopening it but still no update.  I then tried deleting and reinstalling the Geocaching app and that showed the update.  That worked but who wants to do that on a regular basis?

Thinking that the lag for the app to show the edit was maybe just longer than the few hours I had waited, I tested this again by making a second edit to my cache description and waited overnight.  It has now been 14 hours since I made the edit but it still hasn't updated.

Does anyone know if there is a certain lag period before edited descriptions for caches actually update or what the issue might be with this?  

Typical "cache" behavior.

That means, data already in the cache of the app/browser is used before the online version is downloaded. On a PC you might see the same when "refreshing" with F5, Using CTRL-F5 will bypass the cache and get the data again from the server. That way you will see any changes you made.

• Helpful 1
21 minutes ago, GeoBoy88 said:

Just out of curiosity I tested this out. On my computer I edited my geocache page. I picked up my phone, used my geocaching app to navigate to my cache, clicked on the icon and my edit was already showing. So 20 seconds later, without logging out or doing anything different it was showing. 

• Helpful 1
30 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Typical "cache" behavior.

That means, data already in the cache of the app/browser is used before the online version is downloaded. On a PC you might see the same when "refreshing" with F5, Using CTRL-F5 will bypass the cache and get the data again from the server. That way you will see any changes you made.

I'm not aware of how to "refresh" the app on my phone like I would by CTRL-F5 on a PC.  Do you know how to refresh on a phone without uninstalling/reinstalling app?

24 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Just out of curiosity I tested this out. On my computer I edited my geocache page. I picked up my phone, used my geocaching app to navigate to my cache, clicked on the icon and my edit was already showing. So 20 seconds later, without logging out or doing anything different it was showing. 

Do you have an Android or iPhone?

3 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Answering your deleted(?) answer: If you would have deleted the cache from the app you were using and then reloaded it, you'd probable seen the new version.

Other geocachers would most likely have seen the new version.

I'm mostly concerned that other Geocachers using their phone can't see the updates to my cache description.  Seems like the app would eventually update my edits???

Just now, GeoBoy88 said:

I'm mostly concerned that other Geocachers using their phone can't see the updates to my cache description.  Seems like the app would eventually update my edits???

Don't be. We do fine with caches loaded the previous evening. We read listings/logs in the days before our cacheday(s).  We've never had a listing change bothering us and if we would have had a problem finding a cache because the CO changed something while we were out, so be it, we would just log a DNF. Big deal :ph34r:

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Don't be. We do fine with caches loaded the previous evening. We read listings/logs in the days before our cacheday(s).  We've never had a listing change bothering us and if we would have had a problem finding a cache because the CO changed something while we were out, so be it, we would just log a DNF. Big deal :ph34r:

On a side note...I'm new to the forum here.  What's the difference for comments between "Upvote", "Love", "Helpful", etc.  Are there different points awarded to the commenter for these?

1 hour ago, GeoBoy88 said:

I use iPhone's cachly app and know that if I see a spinning loading screen I'm getting the latest and greatest.  As @Max and 99 noted it should be up to date instantly after the change.

18 minutes ago, GeoBoy88 said:

On a side note...I'm new to the forum here.  What's the difference for comments between "Upvote", "Love", "Helpful", etc.  Are there different points awarded to the commenter for these?

I know the "funny" and "surprised" upvotes don't award points, and that "helpful", "love", and a plain ol' "upvote" do.  

Enjoy the forums.

Edited by GeoElmo6000
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, GeoBoy88 said:

I tried closing the app and reopening it but still no update.  I then tried deleting and reinstalling the Geocaching app and that showed the update.  That worked but who wants to do that on a regular basis?

Rather than uninstalling and reinstalling the app, or closing and reopening, try logging out, then back in again.  As 

1 hour ago, on4bam said:

That means, data already in the cache of the app/browser is used before the online version is downloaded.

So, if logging out, and then back in doesn't work, then clearing the app cache (app manager, clear app cache) would work.  After that step, then pull up the cache again, and you will see your changes.  A complete reinstall of the app isn't necessary.  A phone restart might result in the same thing - but clearing the app cache is probably the fastest way if logging iout and back in doesn't work.

As far as other cachers bening able to see your updates, unless they have very recently viewed that particular geocache, and it is in their cached files, they will simply see the current version of your cache page when they pull it up.

• Helpful 1
54 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Rather than uninstalling and reinstalling the app, or closing and reopening, try logging out, then back in again.  As 

So, if logging out, and then back in doesn't work, then clearing the app cache (app manager, clear app cache) would work.  After that step, then pull up the cache again, and you will see your changes.  A complete reinstall of the app isn't necessary.  A phone restart might result in the same thing - but clearing the app cache is probably the fastest way if logging iout and back in doesn't work.

As far as other cachers bening able to see your updates, unless they have very recently viewed that particular geocache, and it is in their cached files, they will simply see the current version of your cache page when they pull it up.

Ok.  Thanks for that tip.  Before doing that, I thought I'd check my phone once more and whiz-bang!  It had finally updated on its own...but it took about 16 hours to do it.  I'll keep our suggestion to clear the app cache in mind though.  Thank you!