I made this (Easy way of knowing if you have any calendar day)

First, favorite this page. Next, right-click on the favorite on your favorites bar and select edit. You can set the title to whatever you like, and change the url to the code below (yes, that's not a url ik). Now, go to https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx, and click the bookmark. The list will filter for all logs you made on this day in the past, i.e., today it would filter to all logs made on 6/16, regardless of the year. You can use the filters on the top, combined with this filter as well! (just click this filter last)

javascript:if(window.location.href.startsWith("https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx")){var parent=document.getElementsByTagName('tbody')[0];var child=document.createElement('tr');child.style.display='none';parent.insertBefore(child,parent.firstChild);var filter=new Date().toLocaleString('default',{month:'short'}).concat('/',new Date().getDate(),'/').toUpperCase();var table=document.getElementsByTagName("table")[0];var tr=table.getElementsByTagName("tr");for(var i=1;i<tr.length;i++){tr[i].style.display="none";var td=tr[i].getElementsByTagName("td");cell=tr[i].getElementsByTagName("td")[2];if(cell){if(cell.innerHTML.toUpperCase().indexOf(filter)>-1){tr[i].style.display="";}}}}else{window.alert("Please click the bookmark on https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx")}

Edited by RedGuy11
4 minutes ago, RedGuy11 said:

First, favorite this page. Next, right-click on the favorite on your favorites bar and select edit. You can set the title to whatever you like, and change the url to the code below (yes, that's not a url ik). Now, go to https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx, and click the bookmark. The list will filter for all logs you made on this day in the past, i.e., today it would filter to all logs made on 6/16, regardless of the year. You can use the filters on the top, combined with this filter as well! (just click this filter last)

javascript:if(window.location.href.startsWith("https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx")){var parent=document.getElementsByTagName('tbody')[0];var child=document.createElement('tr');child.style.display='none';parent.insertBefore(child,parent.firstChild);var filter=new Date().toLocaleString('default',{month:'short'}).concat('/',new Date().getDate(),'/').toUpperCase();var table=document.getElementsByTagName("table")[0];var tr=table.getElementsByTagName("tr");for(var i=1;i<tr.length;i++){tr[i].style.display="none";var td=tr[i].getElementsByTagName("td");cell=tr[i].getElementsByTagName("td")[2];if(cell){if(cell.innerHTML.toUpperCase().indexOf(filter)>-1){tr[i].style.display="";}}}}else{window.alert("Please click the bookmark on https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx")}

I am clueless. This is over my head.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, RedGuy11 said:

Do you mean you don't understand the instructions or you don't understand how that works?

So I took another look. If I follow the steps you outlined, I can find all caches I have logged on TODAY'S date. Cool!

Sorry, I'm tech challenged so it's hard to follow what's going on. Nice of you to create this, though!

Maybe I'm burned-out today, but what would seeing all logs I made on this day in the past be useful for ?     

Thanks.  :)

Okay, looks like  I didn't notice, " Easy way of knowing if you have any calendar day".

Thanks, but I feel the "Finds for Each Day of the Year"  that's already in my profile under "stats" are actually easier (for me) than clicking right and this n that, and changing urls n stuff.   

I rarely look at stats, but it was a click from my profile and done. 

Edited by cerberus1
addification
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1

Now think about this.

Here we have a guy who essentially has no forum history saying to a bunch of basic computer users, "Run this bit of executable javascript code in a browser on your computer. Don't worry about how it works, but it'll make puppies cascade from your speakers!"

Would you do this if you got an email from overseas saying "Click here to win $500?"

Oh, brother.

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 3
5 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

This JavaScript looks fine.  I skimmed it (I used to get paid for tinkering with JS), and see no ill intent, nor any way even accidentally damage something.  JS is nowhere the level of security risk that compiled executables (.EXE etc.) are.

And it's open source!

Yup! And, it's nowhere near the amount of code that you'd need to put a virus into someone's computer.

• Upvote 1

PS, years ago - so long I can barely remember the details - I used a similar trick.  Select a word of text in the browser somewhere, click the button linked to a similar bit of JS magic, and it would search my local library for books related to that word.

Found the code for that on the net, and tweaked it to point to my local library.  B)

2 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

PS, years ago - so long I can barely remember the details - I used a similar trick.  Select a word of text in the browser somewhere, click the button linked to a similar bit of JS magic, and it would search my local library for books related to that word.

Found the code for that on the net, and tweaked it to point to my local library.  B)

One of my colleagues wrote something similar. It was browser extension that would read read the text of any web page (or highlighted text), extract the most frequently used terms, then search our library catalog using those terms.  I've written something similar that auto-tags a blob of text using specified controlled vocabularies.  

javascript extensions can be super powerful, for sure!

One thing to note thought is a stand-alone script is unlikely to get updated (let alone automatically) if any source pages are changed which might break the code. Making use of services like TamperMonkey or GreaseMonkey and whatnot helps to overcome that challenge - assuming the script creator keeps updated with source code changes.

This script seems to rely fairly heavily on specific html formatting to insert functionality. Getting broken isn't likely to happen often or soon, but it is a drawback to random once-off code implementations, if you don't know how to edit the script code yourself.

For those with gsak, this functionality is easy. Otherwise, maybe you (RedGuy11) could take the idea and suggest it get implemented into one of the existing major browser script extension packages? (such as GC Little Helper II)

19 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Maybe I'm burned-out today, but what would seeing all logs I made on this day in the past be useful for ?     

Thanks.  :)

Okay, looks like  I didn't notice, " Easy way of knowing if you have any calendar day".

Thanks, but I feel the "Finds for Each Day of the Year"  that's already in my profile under "stats" are actually easier (for me) than clicking right and this n that, and changing urls n stuff.   

I rarely look at stats, but it was a click from my profile and done. 

I made it because i wanted to see which caches i found on this day in the past. (i only have 55 so not many lol)

And non-premium can use this

plus you only have todo all that once

Edited by RedGuy11
added last sentance
17 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

pretty much did the same for this

8 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

One thing to note thought is a stand-alone script is unlikely to get updated (let alone automatically) if any source pages are changed which might break the code. Making use of services like TamperMonkey or GreaseMonkey and whatnot helps to overcome that challenge - assuming the script creator keeps updated with source code changes.

This script seems to rely fairly heavily on specific html formatting to insert functionality. Getting broken isn't likely to happen often or soon, but it is a drawback to random once-off code implementations, if you don't know how to edit the script code yourself.

it only relays on the date being in the 3rd column, the information stored in a table, and that table being the only table on the page. okay, maybe a lot

i will update it, but yeah it won't update automatically for the people who already have it bookmarked

For those with gsak, this functionality is easy. Otherwise, maybe you (RedGuy11) could take the idea and suggest it get implemented into one of the existing major browser script extension packages? (such as GC Little Helper II)

eh maybe

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Now think about this.

Here we have a guy who essentially has no forum history saying to a bunch of basic computer users, "Run this bit of executable javascript code in a browser on your computer. Don't worry about how it works, but it'll make puppies cascade from your speakers!"

Would you do this if you got an email from overseas saying "Click here to win $500?"

Oh, brother.

didn't realize that lol

well,

17 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

This JavaScript looks fine.  I skimmed it (I used to get paid for tinkering with JS), and see no ill intent, nor any way even accidentally damage something.  JS is nowhere the level of security risk that compiled executables (.EXE etc.) are.

And it's open source!

17 hours ago, TmdAndGG said:

Yup! And, it's nowhere near the amount of code that you'd need to put a virus into someone's computer.

• Upvote 1
On 6/16/2020 at 2:58 PM, TeamRabbitRun said:

Now think about this.

Oh, brother.

On 6/16/2020 at 4:10 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

And it's open source!

On 6/16/2020 at 4:17 PM, TmdAndGG said:

May be true, but not the point.

Basic online safety - If you're not sophisticated and knowledgeable enough to fully evaluate, don't go or click or copy/paste!! 

Nothing personal or negative directed toward the poster, except that asking basic online users to execute unevaluated code may be, what our British brethren (at least on TV) might call "bad form". Perhaps, ask some OTHER people to evaluate it and vouch for it? Keeping each other safe...

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

May be true, but not the point.

Basic online safety - If you're not sophisticated and knowledgeable enough to fully evaluate, don't go or click or copy/paste!! 

Nothing personal or negative directed toward the poster, except that asking basic online users to execute unevaluated code may be, what our British brethren (at least on TV) might call "bad form". Perhaps, ask some OTHER people to evaluate it and vouch for it? Keeping each other safe...

just thought it would be helpful

plus i didn't ask them to they just did