USING GIFT PREPAID CARD INSTEAD OF RECURRING

GayeNT

I have been a premium member for almost a year and my sister gave me a gift membership.  I want to know if my premium membership is not paid for by the due date, as I have cancelled the recurring payment through Google Pay, will I lose all my data and lists etc?

I HAVE 4 DAYS to sort this out please

the instructions to remove recurring and enter the card details DOES NOT EXIST on my membership pages???

thank you very much

GayeNT - Australia

3 minutes ago, GayeNT said:

I have been a premium member for almost a year and my sister gave me a gift membership.  I want to know if my premium membership is not paid for by the due date, as I have cancelled the recurring payment through Google Pay, will I lose all my data and lists etc?

I HAVE 4 DAYS to sort this out please

the instructions to remove recurring and enter the card details DOES NOT EXIST on my membership pages???

thank you very much

GayeNT - Australia

Why can't you just unclick the recurring submission?  And then use the gift card? I can't imagine you'd lose any lists and data. 

The only way I can cancel the auto renewal is through Google Play account and there is no way then to use a different payment type that I can find. 

The instructions on the card say to do it all in Geocaching.com but the options in the instructions don't exist.

I have attached screen shots of the prepaid card instructions and my 'Membership' screen.

I dont get anything from #2. down

geo gift card.jpg

geo gift card1.jpg

Edited by GayeNT
update
14 minutes ago, GayeNT said:

The only way I can cancel the auto renewal is through Google Play account

If it was me, I'd just cancel it.  I don't use Google pay for geocaching so I don't know the steps to take. 

Edit: I now see the instructions on your screenshot. 

14 minutes ago, GayeNT said:

The instructions on the card say to do it all in Geocaching.com but the options in the instructions don't exist.

I use a gift card almost every year to renew my membership. It is very simple! We can help if you want to use the gift card! 

Edited by Max and 99

Premium Subscription Cancellation

1. Stopping an auto-renewing Subscription purchased on our Site

If you have purchased an automatically renewing Premium Membership on our Site and would like to stop the Subscription from automatically renewing, you can do so at any time by logging in to Geocaching.com, clicking the down arrow next to your username, and selecting "Settings." Click the "Membership" tab, then "Manage Premium Membership" and "Cancel Recurring Membership."

Except if you terminate your Subscription in accordance with section 5.3 and section 6.1 below and under the limitations provided below, any amount paid prior to your cancellation will not be refunded and you will remain liable for the full Subscription fee for the applicable term.

2. Stopping an auto-renewing Subscription purchased through Apple or Google

If you purchased an automatically renewing Premium Membership through an App Store and would like to cancel your Subscription, you will need to do so in your Google Play or your Apple iTunes/App Store account directly. Instructions can be found here:

Google Play (Web)/Google Play (Mobile)

Apple iTunes/App Store

Note: Certain Premium memberships initially purchased with PayPal prior to May 2010 may require you to cancel directly with Paypal.

3.5. Update/edit your Premium membership purchased with PayPal

Change your subscription from monthly to annual

1. Cancel your current monthly subscription on Paypal.
    This will not affect the expiration date of your current Premium membership.
  2. Follow these instructions to purchase a 1-year auto-renewal membership on Geocaching.com.

Change your payment method from PayPal to credit card

1. Cancel your current subscription on Paypal.
  2. Follow these instructions to purchase a new membership on Geocaching.com.
  3. Choose credit card as your payment option.

Subscription canceled by PayPal

PayPal will cancel subscriptions if your credit or debit card information is out of date. This does not affect the expiration date of your current Premium membership on Geocaching.com. You will receive a notice by email when your Premium membership is due to expire.

If you wish to continue your Premium membership past the current expiration date, follow these instructions to purchase a new auto-renewal membership on Geocaching.com. You can do this any time between now and the expiration date of your current Premium membership.

I also use "gift" to renew as it's a bad company policy to force autorenew. What about PM who no longer geocache and still see $30 taken from their CC they stop using the site? What about PM who die and see their accounts charged?

It could be as simple as giving the option to opt-in the auto-renew.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

3.5. Update/edit your Premium membership purchased with PayPal

Change your subscription from monthly to annual

1. Cancel your current monthly subscription on Paypal.
  2. Follow these instructions to purchase a 1-year auto-renewal membership on Geocaching.com.

Change your payment method from PayPal to credit card

1. Cancel your current subscription on Paypal.
  2. Follow these instructions to purchase a new membership on Geocaching.com.
  3. Choose credit card as your payment option.

Subscription canceled by PayPal

PayPal will cancel subscriptions if your credit or debit card information is out of date. This does not affect the expiration date of your current Premium membership on Geocaching.com. You will receive a notice by email when your Premium membership is due to expire.

If you wish to continue your Premium membership past the current expiration date, follow these instructions to purchase a new auto-renewal membership on Geocaching.com. You can do this any time between now and the expiration date of your current Premium membership.

thanks for this info ... i have now cancelled it through PAYPAL also so we will see in a couple of days :))))))

My memory, possibly wrong, is that someone posted that you  lose personal cache notes, and maybe corrected coords on individual cache pages. 

Lists  and (I believe) pocket queries remain.  Caches you've favorited keep those points. 

I don't recall if you lose  unapplied favorite points.

1 hour ago, Isonzo Karst said:

My memory, possibly wrong, is that someone posted that you  lose personal cache notes, and maybe corrected coords on individual cache pages. 

Lists  and (I believe) pocket queries remain.  Caches you've favorited keep those points. 

I don't recall if you lose  unapplied favorite points.

I think I remember reading that, too!

Going back to basic, you retain the unused FPs you earned while PM,  and get back what you had earned if you become PM again.

Unlike your first time becoming PM though, you don't get to accrue FPs while basic in-between.

As basic, you lose advance searches, instant notifications, lists, bookmarks, offline features, and personal cache notes.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

As basic, you lose advance searches, instant notifications, lists, bookmarks, offline features, and personal cache notes.

And if/when you renew your premium membership again, all your lists, PQs, personal cache notes, etc. will be there waiting for you.

• Helpful 1
15 hours ago, niraD said:

And if/when you renew your premium membership again, all your lists, PQs, personal cache notes, etc. will be there waiting for you.

I can confirm this from a couple of at least 6 months PM hiatuses.

• Helpful 3
6 minutes ago, GayeNT said:

Hey Max

I have got to the expiry date and now I have another dilemma. The card I was given at Christmas time comes up saying "the code entered is not valid"

any ideas what is wrong?

thanks for all your help 

Gaye

Are you suuuuure you entered the right number? That's my first guess.

4 hours ago, GayeNT said:

yes tried it 4 times but that doesnt mean i got it right ;)

Could there possibly be a tiny end section not removed, and you're missing a single number ?

I tried numerous times, and finally (at their request) sent it to HQ. 

- There was a tiny fleck, not looking like anything really, but it was hiding a single number missed.   :)

11 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Could there possibly be a tiny end section not removed, and you're missing a single number ?

I tried numerous times, and finally (at their request) sent it to HQ. 

- There was a tiny fleck, not looking like anything really, but it was hiding a single number missed.   :)

Her number show a very clear display of 4-10. 

And it may mean nothing at all but the instructions for redeeming the gift card show 4-11. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me. 

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS

so my sister got her sons girlfriend in America to buy the gift cards.

my sister then received a photo of one of the cards so she could upgrade because the girlfriend wasnt coming back for 6 weeks

then when she got back she had to divvy up the gifts (pens compasses etc) and send some to me and the rest to my sister

WELL she sent me the activated card and THATS WHY IT DIDNT WORK

Thanks everyone for your time and effort I really do appreciate it all and I am VERY SORRY for wasting your time

Have a great day 

Gaye (NT)

• Funny 1
21 minutes ago, GayeNT said:

my sister then received a photo of one of the cards so she could upgrade because the girlfriend wasnt coming back for 6 weeks

then when she got back she had to divvy up the gifts (pens compasses etc) and send some to me and the rest to my sister

Thanks everyone for your time and effort I really do appreciate it all and I am VERY SORRY for wasting your time

Have a great day 

Gaye (NT)

LOL!

29 minutes ago, GayeNT said:

Have a great day 

Gaye (NT)

Unrelated, but I was able to scan your QR code avatar.  You should have created one that links to your profile page instead of the main geocaching.com page

2 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

It looks like my QR code reader app was dropping the user parameter.  Instead of https://www.geocaching.com/p/default.aspx?u=GayeNT it took me to https://www.geocaching.com/p/default.aspx which forced me to login to my profile

I am not sure what to do about that as both of those links go to my profile which is the same as when I read the QR Code?

4 minutes ago, GayeNT said:

I am not sure what to do about that as both of those links go to my profile which is the same as when I read the QR Code?

The one without the u=GayeNT will take *you* to your profile because when you authenticate with your credentials it will use that user name for the profile.  Adding the ?u=GayeNT to the link will still require an authentication, but when someone else authenticates using their credentials it will still go to your profile rather than theirs.  The default user profile to display uses the authenticated user name if one is not specified (by adding the "u" parameter to the URL).

3 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

The one without the u=GayeNT will take *you* to your profile because when you authenticate with your credentials it will use that user name for the profile.  Adding the ?u=GayeNT to the link will still require an authentication, but when someone else authenticates using their credentials it will still go to your profile rather than theirs.  The default user profile to display uses the authenticated user name if one is not specified (by adding the "u" parameter to the URL).

thanks I will take a look in the morning .....cant say tomorrow because it is almost that now and I need to go to sleep;);)