Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
NanCycle

Garmin Montana and City Navigator maps

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have a Garmin Montana 600 with City Navigator North America NT 2013.3 maps loaded.  The first time this year (January 2020) that I turned on the Montana I got the message "Can't Authenticate Maps."  I get the same message now every time I turn it on.  What is happening?  Are my maps completely useless now?  I no longer have the computer that I used when originally downloading them.  

 

If the City Navigator maps are useless, are there other (preferably free) maps that will give turn-by-turn directions?  Thanks, Nancy

Edited by NanCycle

Share this post


Link to post

I had a similar problem with my Montana 610. I eventually found out that the maps are paired with the microSD card that they were supplied on. You cannot copy maps from one memory card to another. When I put the original microSD card from a (Garmin 64st) in my Montana 610, it worked.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I don't have an answer for why you are getting the authentication error, but there are a few sites I use to grab routable maps for my Garmin units. All of them are based on OpenStreetMap data. The one I use most is http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ . I prefer its interface and format, but has gone down a few times in recent months. When that happens, I have used https://www.openmapchest.org/ and https://download.bbbike.org/ .

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Aguila317 said:

I had a similar problem with my Montana 610. I eventually found out that the maps are paired with the microSD card that they were supplied on. You cannot copy maps from one memory card to another. When I put the original microSD card from a (Garmin 64st) in my Montana 610, it worked.

 

 

Mine were not supplied on a microSD card, they originally came on a DVD and were locked to the specific computer and device used at the time.  Similar issues, though..  Thanks.

 

 

45 minutes ago, Moun10Bike said:

I don't have an answer for why you are getting the authentication error, but there are a few sites I use to grab routable maps for my Garmin units. All of them are based on OpenStreetMap data. The one I use most is http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ . I prefer its interface and format, but has gone down a few times in recent months. When that happens, I have used https://www.openmapchest.org/ and https://download.bbbike.org/ .

I have been using my smartphone for the routing to get me to the general vicinity, then putting it away and using the Montana to get to the actual cache location.  This works as long as I'm in an area where I have cell coverage, and is only a little awkward.  I'll try these maps.  Thanks.

 

 

32 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

See the Maps page at GPSrChive > Montana.

Lots of interesting information there.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Moun10Bike said:

I don't have an answer for why you are getting the authentication error, but there are a few sites I use to grab routable maps for my Garmin units. All of them are based on OpenStreetMap data. The one I use most is http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ . I prefer its interface and format, but has gone down a few times in recent months. When that happens, I have used https://www.openmapchest.org/ and https://download.bbbike.org/ .

What he said. :-)

Share this post


Link to post

This is not working for me.  The GPS will not even show the direction (compass arrow) to a Geocache (or anything else). It just says "Route calculation error. Maps do not have routable roads in this area."

 

I have got the http://osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip downloaded to my Mac, as I think that is the version I want.  I don't know what to do next.  The instructions say to unzip first--but I don't know how to do that.; everything else I have downloaded has unzipped automatically.

 

I think I tried a different download first; what I now have on the SD card in the Garmin folder is screenshot.png.69736bade26011fce305eb14bf0d0397.png

 

Any help will be most appreciated.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

So, the zip file should be downloaded to your mac, not the GPS. Double click the zip file and it will automatically extract with a gmapsupp.img file. You can rename this file in case there is already a gmapsupp.img on your GPS or SD card. But either way, just plop that .img file in the Garmin folder on the GPS or SD card and you should be good to go.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, NanCycle said:

This is not working for me.  The GPS will not even show the direction (compass arrow) to a Geocache (or anything else). It just says "Route calculation error. Maps do not have routable roads in this area."

 

I have got the http://osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip downloaded to my Mac, as I think that is the version I want.  I don't know what to do next.  The instructions say to unzip first--but I don't know how to do that.; everything else I have downloaded has unzipped automatically.

 

I think I tried a different download first; what I now have on the SD card in the Garmin folder is screenshot.png.69736bade26011fce305eb14bf0d0397.png

 

Any help will be most appreciated.

 

 

That looks like the BaseCampmversion of the map.

 

As Mineral2 stated, you need to place the img map on the Montana.

 

You might want to check GPSrChive for more info.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you all so much.  I now have maps again--will have to go out soon for a field test.  I just have one question about renaming maps.  I downloaded only the section that came up when I asked for Colorado.  Would gmapsuppCO.img be a workable rename?  Then suppose the next area I want to download is New Mexico, I could name it gmapsuppNM.img.  Would this system work?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, NanCycle said:

Would this system work?

Yes, you can give them any name you like as long as you are using .img as the extension.

Hans

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, HHL said:

Yes, you can give them any name you like as long as you are using .img as the extension.

Hans

 

Danke.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3

×
×
  • Create New...