Adopt an archived cache

SteveOutdoors

A few years ago i created my basic account and downloaded the app on an old phone after 3-4 finds i Upgraded phones but didn't re install the geocache app.  Over this summer i started geocaching again and have just got myself a GPS. I was thinking of hiding my first cache  when i hit 50 finds, and had looked at the availability of sites in a local park. It turns out that the first cache i found a few years back was adopted from the original CO but then earlier this year archived by the current CO as he was moving away from the area. The GZ is a short walk from my home and an area i can visit easily for checking on the cache and any maintenance required. I put the code into the adoption page but as the cache is archived its not possible to request to adopt it. I have sent a message to the cache owner outlining my wish to adopt the cache. Was this the correct thing to do?

From the Help Center article Adopt or transfer a geocache:

"Note: Archived and grandfathered cache types cannot be transferred to a new owner. Neither the adoption tool nor Geocaching HQ can transfer Virtual, Webcam or Locationless cache types or archived caches."

You can't adopt caches for the purpose of unarchiving them. Just go ahead and list a new cache. If you want to preserve the history, then link to the archived cache listing.

• Helpful 3

Yea i wold keep the cache the more or less same as it was originally, Although improve upon the Chinese takeaway container it used to be in.  If the  current CO dose not respond is there any other way to adopt the cache looking at his profile he is no longer active hasn't  had any finds in months or any other activity on his profile . Just looking at the map again and the park in question is pretty much fully taken by existing caches including 3 archived caches i know of.

3 minutes ago, niraD said:

From the Help Center article Adopt or transfer a geocache:

"Note: Archived and grandfathered cache types cannot be transferred to a new owner. Neither the adoption tool nor Geocaching HQ can transfer Virtual, Webcam or Locationless cache types or archived caches."

You can't adopt caches for the purpose of unarchiving them. Just go ahead and list a new cache. If you want to preserve the history, then link to the archived cache listing.

The park has no suitable areas left,  the location of the archived cache in question is a great location. So this cache cannot be unarchived at all?. If so can a new cache be placed in the same area?

2 minutes ago, SteveOutdoors said:

Yea i wold keep the cache the more or less same as it was originally, Although improve upon the Chinese takeaway container it used to be in.  If the  current CO dose not respond is there any other way to adopt the cache looking at his profile he is no longer active hasn't  had any finds in months or any other activity on his profile . Just looking at the map again and the park in question is pretty much fully taken by existing caches including 3 archived caches i know of.

There's a special process to unarchive a cache, it's rare, and it would require an active owner for sure.

If there's a saturated park, there may be more caches there than you know about.  Once caches are archived, spots are open for placements.

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, SteveOutdoors said:

The park has no suitable areas left,  the location of the archived cache in question is a great location.

What do you mean by "no suitable areas left"? Do you mean that the park is saturated (according to the 528ft/161m saturation guideline)?

So this cache cannot be unarchived at all?

Archived caches cannot be adopted for the purpose of unarchiving them.

And if the park is saturated, then the original CO couldn't unarchive it anyway. In the rare situation when an archived cache might be unarchived, it still has to meet current guidelines (including the saturation guideline). If new caches have saturated the area where the archived cache used to be, then it cannot be unarchived.

If so can a new cache be placed in the same area?

Archived caches no longer matter to the saturation guideline. Anyone can hide a new cache there (subject to normal guidelines regarding permission, other caches and saturation, etc.).

• Helpful 2
8 hours ago, SteveOutdoors said:

Ahh i see. Well i suppose i could see what comes from my massage to the current cache owner. I've  just seen the relevant articles. If all fails ill look into placing a new cache of my own in that location.

Thanks for the reply's.

Your option is to place a new cache at that location. The archived cache is gone and cannot be reinstated. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 10/8/2019 at 9:55 PM, SteveOutdoors said:

i wold keep the cache the more or less same as it was originally, Although improve upon the Chinese takeaway container it used to be in.

I think you're on the right track.  Especially if you're not considering using an old food container.  (Animals tend to seek out caches that used to contain food.)

Good luck with your cache!