First geocache hide - how long to go live?

TeamDavies3

22 minutes ago, TeamDavies3 said:

I just checked that and still nothing. Should I start again ?

No, simply navigate back to your cache page from your Unpublished Hides page (accessible from the Dashboard). You will then be able to read the log that the reviewer posted and respond as directed.

You are going to need to figure out why you are not receiving email, though, as you need to monitor the cache not only for reviewer communications but also logs from users once it is published.

• Helpful 1

There are several "converters" out there; one I use is http://boulter.com/gps/

Your GPS or phone *should* have an option to give coordinates in DDM format; if you are using the official Geocaching app on a phone that's the default format, and the one you use to FIND caches; grabbing coordinates at your chosen location to HIDE a cache should be as easy as creating a waypoint (or 3, or more, and average them) for a nearby cache.

• Helpful 1

I see a user-interface problem here.  You can go an entire geocaching career without having to ever handle coords manually - it's all handled internally in the most common use case - until you create your fist hide.  Suddenly it's an issue.

I seem to remember that, years back, the site accepted various formats, recognized them, and just adapted.  Didn't it?  Why did we lose that?  (Why can't we have nice things?)

• Funny 1
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

There are several "converters" out there; one I use is http://boulter.com/gps/

Your GPS or phone *should* have an option to give coordinates in DDM format; if you are using the official Geocaching app on a phone that's the default format, and the one you use to FIND caches; grabbing coordinates at your chosen location to HIDE a cache should be as easy as creating a waypoint (or 3, or more, and average them) for a nearby cache.

Great suggestion.

If you don’t have a converter handy, you can do the math.

There are 60 seconds (“) in a minute (‘), so pull the seconds out of the latitude and longitude:

52.509"/60 = 0.875

4.54005"/60 = 0.076

(Three places to the right of the decimal are all that is needed.)

Those values are then added to the minutes that are already there:

N 51°34.875'  W002°57.076'

• Helpful 4