Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
niraD

2019 Souvenirs Announced

Recommended Posts

I don't really get why some countries don't have any souvenirs? Is it just simply because no one has created artwork for it?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Vooruit! said:

I don't really get why some countries don't have any souvenirs? Is it just simply because no one has created artwork for it?

 

No, there are a few places for which souvenir artwork has been created but a souvenir is not available (e.g. Ethiopia).  There's also a small amount of programming involved that has to be done to award the souvenir when someone qualifies and retroactively award the souvenir to everyone that previously found a cache in the country.  Choosing the artwork isn't as straightforward as it sounds either.  There have been a few cases where some residents of countries didn't feel that the artwork was representative of the country. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/18/2019 at 12:30 AM, The A-Team said:

Using completely unscientific methods (ie. wild guess), I expect that the following would be released over the course of this year (in no particular order):

  • Egypt
  • Hong Kong
  • Israel
  • Vatican City State
  • India
  • Monaco
  • Costa Rica
  • Ireland
  • Taiwan

...based on tourist visits and remaining countries with the highest populations of cachers and caches. After those, I'd say it's pretty much an open field. It would be nice to see a few of the small Caribbean island nations (Puerto Rico is the only one so far, and it isn't even a "nation").

hope so got 7 of those

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 1/16/2019 at 4:40 AM, The Jester said:

When we were in Israel, Palestine and Jordan a year and a half ago, I never felt my life was "on the line" any more than everywhere else I've been.

tongue in cheek get a grip

Edited by The Whittles

Share this post


Link to post

I forgot about the new country souvenir of the month for the last couple months.

 

February: Montenegro

March: Andorra

 

Interesting coincidence, as we visited Andorra almost exactly ten years ago.

Share this post


Link to post

I wasn't expecting those two. If I had to pick two European countries to get souvenirs next, those wouldn't have been them, simply due to the number of visitors and caches.

 

Just for the heck of it, since two more European countries have now been crossed off the list, here are the ones that are still outstanding (based on the Wikipedia article of countries "in Europe", sorted by area):

  • Ukraine
  • Belarus
  • Kazakhstan
  • Serbia
  • Ireland
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Moldova
  • Albania
  • Macedonia (as it's known on geocaching.com; it's now officially known as North Macedonia)
  • Azerbaijan
  • Georgia
  • San Marino
  • Monaco
  • Vatican City State

Not included are dependencies or territories located in the Europe area, like Aland Islands, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, or the channel islands. There are a bunch of those left, too.

Share this post


Link to post

The April country souvenir has been released: Egypt. That's one that I predicted, largely because it's a popular tourist location. It's only the 4th country in Africa to get a souvenir, so it's nice to see another one on that continent.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

The May country souvenir is out: Costa Rica 

That is the last country we cached (although we had been there years ago on, what else, a bike trip) The climb up to Monteverde still ranks as the toughest ride of my life.

Edited by Michaelcycle

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Michaelcycle said:

The May country souvenir is out: Costa Rica 

That is the last country we cached (although we had been there years ago on, what else, a bike trip) The climb up to Monteverde still ranks as the toughest ride of my life.

 

Finally a monthly souvenir for a country in which I've cached.  I've been there twice and can understand how biking there would be difficult.  I drove up to Poas volcano (nice earth cache there) and there were a lot of people on "drift trikes" riding down the steep, twisty mountain road.   Costa Rica doesn't have a lot of caches but it has a lot of really wonderful places to go geocaching. 

Share this post


Link to post

No CITO souvenir for June July August??   Where I'm from, we still have snow in May.....and it's bound to snow it September.   Come on guys!!!!!  

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, jcbisco said:

No CITO souvenir for June July August??   Where I'm from, we still have snow in May.....and it's bound to snow it September.   Come on guys!!!!!  

 

I think having CITO souvenirs available for half of the year is more than sufficient. :grin:

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post

The Monaco souvenir has been released...nope, don't have that one. Doesn't look bicycle friendly🚴‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Michaelcycle said:

The Monaco souvenir has been released...nope, don't have that one. Doesn't look bicycle friendly🚴‍♂️

 

I was in Monaco in 2010 and tried to find a couple of caches, but couldn't find them, so I don't get the souvenir. That was fairly early in my caching career and I wasn't very well prepared. If I was there today, I'd have access to previous logs, images, etc. and I'd have a much better chance of making a find there.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, The A-Team said:
15 hours ago, Michaelcycle said:

The Monaco souvenir has been released...nope, don't have that one. Doesn't look bicycle friendly🚴‍♂️

 

I was in Monaco in 2010 and tried to find a couple of caches, but couldn't find them, so I don't get the souvenir. That was fairly early in my caching career and I wasn't very well prepared. If I was there today, I'd have access to previous logs, images, etc. and I'd have a much better chance of making a find there.

 

Now that there is a virtual at the palace and another at the casino (new since our visit last fall), it's even easier to make sure you get a find in Monaco.

Share this post


Link to post

Just a reminder since it's arriving soon:

 

 

International Geocaching Day (August 17)

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/18/2019 at 11:57 PM, me N u said:

 

It is not possible to get a visa on arrival - and tourist visas are non existent too, with the exception of those performing hadj/umrah.

 

By the way Mrs me N u found it very okay to go out geocaching - please do not base posts on assumptions/stereotypes. 

Was that by herself (unaccompanied) in Saudi Arabia; unhindered?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3

×