Tb

swisswanina

Hello I’m new in geocaching so I still have a lot to learn. Yesterday I found my first Tb and was really pleased with it. I took it along to place it somewhere nice on my travel back home. Today on a last walk I found another Tb!!!

are you allowed to move two Tb or possess 2 tb at the same time?

thanks for your reply. 

There are no rules or requirements. Just common curtesy.

Lets say you go to a TB Hotel and there are 100 TBs there it would be pretty rude to take all 100 or even close to that number usually don't take more than one or two unless I have one to trade for which I don't always have. Though if I find a TB or many TBs in a cache that has been languishing for months or years I'll rescue them. TBs are meant to move not sit in a cache or sit in someones car or worse get thrown away. 

The few weeks of handling is a great guideline. Though sometimes it may be tough to find a cache that may accept that size for example. I once grabbed a Bowling pin TB but then thought better of the activity and dropped it back into the same cache. To be honest I never read the goal before grabbing them and as previously mentioned make sure you log them. If I'm traveling in the near future I might save up a few of the local TBs to help them get out of the area or if their goal is where I'm headed.

Have fun with them check out the map to see where they have been. When you are ready get your own and track them. Though get more than one of the six I sent out initially two were lost almost immediately, two lasted about a year  then one of those mysteriously reappeared two years later and only two managed to keep going almost 4 years.

3 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Also keep them maximum 2 weeks before dropping them in a cache so they can continue their adventure with somebody else unless you can greatly help with their mission but post a note on the TB page.  

+1

Take just one as many as you can handle, and if you haven't placed them in safe caches and done all the correct, cool logs very soon, you can't handle that many.  It's fine to take none.  I usually log Discover.  I don't feel like unscrambling the logs of every steekin one of these.  Most cachers cannot correctly handle one. :ph34r:

But there's no need to wait "2 weeks" (and then another just "2 weeks", then another).  It would be best if TPTB would simply say to place it promptly into another cache...  "Take these with the plan of where you will place them in mind.  And communicate this".

The TB Owner bought the thing on the pitch that it "travels the world one cache at a time, with interesting stories and photos".  The Owner will arrive here in the Forum if you take the item and pocket it, then forevermore log robotic "took it to" logs.  "The Taker never responds, never places it, just keeps it and carries it around, what can I do?"  Don't make the Owner wonder what he can "do", nor make him wonder what you're doing. 

The TB Owner may type his wishes, on the TB page.  If the goal is "visit caches!", be sure he wants you to, for example, carry it around with 500 other TBs forevermore.  He probably simply meant "Place it into a cache so it can travel".  Go find out. ;)

If you don't place it into a cache (such as waiting for a container that's "big enough" when the cache where you found it is "big enough"), post informative notes so the Owner knows what your intentions are. In the case of quitting Geocaching, place the TB into a cache first.

Edited by kunarion
4 hours ago, swisswanina said:

Hello I’m new in geocaching so I still have a lot to learn. Yesterday I found my first Tb and was really pleased with it. I took it along to place it somewhere nice on my travel back home. Today on a last walk I found another Tb!!!

are you allowed to move two Tb or possess 2 tb at the same time?

Sure...

I feel  your log for the second trackable "... never found a TB before and now I found 2 in a row.... so I left it there for the next person, as I still have to find a new place for the first one....."  was a smart idea, since you're new to this side-game of the hobby.   And correctly Discovered too.   :)

Later maybe, when you have more confidence in the caches that will safely hold them, you can grab as many as you'd like if you're able to handle it.

I've removed an entire TB "hotel" full of trackables when the CO placed an ALR (additional logging requirement) on them, requesting even swaps.  ;)

In case you haven't spotted it yet, here's pretty-much everything you can learn about trackables in the Help Center.  

1 hour ago, MNTA said:

Lets say you go to a TB Hotel and there are 100 TBs there it would be pretty rude to take all 100 or even close to that number usually don't take more than one or two unless I have one to trade for which I don't always have.

Absolutely not rude!! If you can take them all and accomodate their movement or mission reasonably, do so.

What is rude is a cache owner placing a policy of "you can only take one if you leave one" (or any other restriction) effectively creating a travel bug prison, rather than hotel, when a new cache finder cannot trade. Trackables are not trade items and trackable owners determine movement, not cache owners.

The desires of the trackable owners are paramount. The desire of the cache owner to have lots of bugs to attract other cachers and the desires of those potential cachers hoping to spot a bug shouldn't be considered.

51 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I've removed an entire TB "hotel" full of trackables when the CO placed an ALR (additional logging requirement) on them, requesting even swaps.  ;)

Remembering my long-lost TB that fell into another dimension at a Mega Event years ago (still there to this day), I grabbed all the orphans on the Discover Table at an Event.  Maybe I could save them from that fate.  And some were still in peoples' hands, some still in caches in Sweden (do I need to wait for someone log that?  Hmm?), just plain every random log under the sun.  Good grief.  Just for 12 TBs, I had my hands full.  That was waaay to many.  But they got into various caches.  Most were stolen soon after :ph34r:.  But that's not the point. :P

Edited by kunarion
13 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

Absolutely not rude!! If you can take them all and accomodate their movement or mission reasonably, do so.

What is rude is a cache owner placing a policy of "you can only take one if you leave one" (or any other restriction) effectively creating a travel bug prison, rather than hotel, when a new cache finder cannot trade. Trackables are not trade items and trackable owners determine movement, not cache owners.

The desires of the trackable owners are paramount. The desire of the cache owner to have lots of bugs to attract other cachers and the desires of those potential cachers hoping to spot a bug shouldn't be considered.

Yeah, I won't obey a requirement to "only take one" or "trade TBs one for one" or whatever.  I also don't make a point to take them all.  That's how people end up with the sack-o'-TBs that travel with them forever B).  A policy to "free" all the jailed TBs results in a backpack full that I guess is impossible to empty.  They went from jail to a chain gang.  Go figure.

I did a couple of TB Hotels a few months ago.  I simply Discovered absolutely every one of them.  Photos and all (with no Tracking Number in view!).  Took a long time to do.  AND I specified which ones I did not see in there, by public Reference Number.  A snapshot of the true Inventory that had not happened ever in that TB Hotel.

Edited by kunarion
  • Funny 1
48 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

<...>

Have to take exception to that, my friend.

In my opinion, if you come across a well-stocked TB hotel and you take all of them, that's rude.

You're certainly ALLOWED to take them all, but it's like going up to the cash register at the diner to pay, and taking ALL of the mints in the bowl!

Leave some for someone else! I enjoy finding and moving TBs; can't you share the fun?

(By the way, I DID have to go back and fix the spelling on the word "cash" in that sentence above. Not surprising.)

2 hours ago, MNTA said:

...don't take more than one or two unless I have one to trade for which I don't always have.

Just so the OP is aware...    This is your personal feelings on trackables, and not the norm. 

Trackables are not trade items (swag).

In fact, I and a few people have not only removed all trackables from one's cache that stated "trade" in it, but the Reviewer has TD  (temporary disabled) those caches until the wording added post-submission was removed.   

A Reviewer won't knowingly publish a cache with a trackable trade statement within it.

Edited by cerberus1
Spllelling
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
57 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

7 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Leave some for someone else!

That's the faulty logic in TB prisons -- fun for CO and follow-on finders to the detriment of the TO -- and the part of my post that was left out in the quote.

Obviously, every situation is different and we can't predict when the next cache finder will come along, and whether they have other trackables to "trade." If I come along a cache with multiple trackables and I can accomodate all the missions reasonably, you bet, I will take them all, especially if it is likely the next cacher won't be along in a couple weeks.

That may sound selfish to the CO and follow-on finders, but no so for the TOs who will appreciate their trackables' moving rather than being stuck at the bottom of a prison.

19 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

but it's like going up to the cash register at the diner to pay, and taking ALL of the mints in the bowl!

No its not like that at all. The mints don't have owners wanting them to be moved. Again your focus is all on follow-on finders with no concern to the TOs.

18 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

You're certainly ALLOWED to take them all, but it's like going up to the cash register at the diner to pay, and taking ALL of the mints in the bowl!

Not at all. It's like going to the cash register at the diner to pay, noticing that all the items in the lost and found bin belong to people you know, and then volunteering to take all those items where they belong.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

In fact, I and a few people have not only removed all trackables from one's cache that stated "trade" in it, but the Reviewer has TD  (temporary disabled) those caches until the wording added post-submission was removed.  

This!

With regular caches, I may take only one or two trackables, but if there is ever any sort of movement restriction listed on the cache description, I will always make a point to take them all.

• Upvote 2
30 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

That's the faulty logic in TB prisons -- fun for CO and follow-on finders to the detriment of the TO -- and the part of my post that was left out in the quote.

Obviously, every situation is different and we can't predict when the next cache finder will come along, and whether they have other trackables to "trade." If I come along a cache with multiple trackables and I can accomodate all the missions reasonably, you bet, I will take them all, especially if it is likely the next cacher won't be along in a couple weeks.

That may sound selfish to the CO and follow-on finders, but no so for the TOs who will appreciate their trackables' moving rather than being stuck at the bottom of a prison.

No its not like that at all. The mints don't have owners wanting them to be moved. Again your focus is all on follow-on finders with no concern to the TOs.

I'm not talking about a so-called TB Prison or anything beyond a normal well-stocked cache, which was the case in the self-contained statement you made in response to MNTA's post.

It wasn't until AFTER that, that you introduced the topic of TB Prisons, where people attempt to limit the number of TBs you can or should take. So, nothing I wrote alluded to TB Prisons; just well-stocked caches.

DO NOT accuse me of having "no concern to the Tos", as you wrote. I have bugs out there, and I would never demand or expect that any specific cacher MUST move mine.

As for your comment that "The mints don't have owners wanting them to be moved"; wrong. The diner owner puts them out there so that people stopping by the counter can take one or two. Or more.

30 minutes ago, niraD said:

Not at all. It's like going to the cash register at the diner to pay, noticing that all the items in the lost and found bin belong to people you know, and then volunteering to take all those items where they belong.

As for my 'diner' example, if this isn't a TB Prison, then there's no overriding need to move EVERY TB in the box. In normal game play, the TB Owner's "Move" requirement is NOT paramount; it's only one concern among the many involved in the game.

This example is NOT that Lost&Found box. Otherwise, conventional practice and the guidelines might urge to people to simply take every bug they come across, regardless of every other consideration.

If a cache IS a declared 'hotel', then people go there expecting to find Travel Bugs, maybe pick up one or two or more, maybe drop one or two or more if they're carrying them.

Why would you NOT allow others to find some of the bugs in a well-stocked cache?

23 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

As for my 'diner' example, if this isn't a TB Prison, then there's no overriding need to move EVERY TB in the box.

True. But the original statement you replied to specified that the person taking them all could "accomodate their movement or mission reasonably".

25 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

This example is NOT that Lost&Found box. Otherwise, conventional practice and the guidelines might urge to people to simply take every bug they come across, regardless of every other consideration.

Again, the premise is that you can help the trackables with their mission, that you can help get them where they belong.

26 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Why would you NOT allow others to find some of the bugs in a well-stocked cache?

If you can help the trackables with their missions, if you can help get them where they belong, then why wouldn't you?

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, niraD said:

True. But the original statement you replied to specified that the person taking them all could "accomodate their movement or mission reasonably".

Again, the premise is that you can help the trackables with their mission, that you can help get them where they belong.

If you can help the trackables with their missions, if you can help get them where they belong, then why wouldn't you?

In every case, because, to turn around Team Christiansen's words, I'd be prioritizing the TO's concerns over the game-playing of all the cachers that might come to this Hotel after me and find nothing.

I prefer to play more collaboratively.

31 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

In every case, because, to turn around Team Christiansen's words, I'd be prioritizing the TO's concerns over the game-playing of all the cachers that might come to this Hotel after me and find nothing.

What about the game-playing of the cachers who find the trackables after I help them closer to their goals? If I don't help these trackables now, then who knows when they'll get closer to their goals, and geocachers there will be able to help them.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

So, nothing I wrote alluded to TB Prisons; just well-stocked caches.

Your right. You didn't allude. But it doesn't matter, TB prison or well-stocked cache, if you can take them all and move them, do so rather than making them wait a couple weeks, or worse, longer. Accomodate the TO now who wants his TB moved to Denver, where I just happen to be flying to tommorow; or accomodate the follow-on cacher who might show up in a couple weeks and might, or might not be able to fulfill the trackable's mission. Even if there are a dozen TBs -- accomodate a dozen TOs or accomodate a dozen follow-on cachers. To me the choice is simple. For the record, I don't always take them all, but I have several times. 

2 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

can't you share the fun?

Yes, that is the point. Fun for the TO over fun for the follow-on cache finder.

1 hour ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

DO NOT accuse me of having "no concern to the Tos", as you wrote.

I'm sorry, perhaps I shouldn't have said it that way. But you did say it was "rude" to take all the trackables and asking me to "Leave some for someone else ... can't you share the fun," suggesting I am selfish. It seems there were more accusations in that comment than mine.

37 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

In every case, because, to turn around Team Christiansen's words, I'd be prioritizing the TO's concerns over the game-playing of all the cachers that might come to this Hotel after me 

And the problem with that is ... ? Again, I don't always take them all, because I can't always accomodate the mission or get them moved quickly. But when I can I will always move them not knowing when and if the next cacher will show up or whether the cache gets muggled.

37 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

I prefer to play more collaboratively.

Your suggesting I'm not?

Edited by Team Christiansen
duplicated word